Break On Next - Shortcut key is mandatory

Basdub

Oct 5, 2010, 9:46:58 AM10/5/10
to Firebug
Hi,
What is mandatory is simply a shortcut key to activate the "break on
next" button. I still don't understand why it's not available in
1.5.4. I have seen comments about waiting for a bug fix that has
nothing to do with adding a shortcut key.

In the current situation, I click on the "Break On Next" but and as
soon as i leave the firebug window, an event is triggered and
therefore can never reach the desired control on the page that i want
to debug.

If we could move the pointer to the desired location, then use a
shortcut to enable break on next, then click on the button or move the
pointer to trigger the event desired, it would help incredibly.

For me, this feature is essential and incredible but useless at this
time. It has now been several releases since the first comment about
this issue has been posted.

Can someone please explain what prevents a developer from adding a row
in the shortcut key window to allow us to configure a shortcut key for
this button?

I can understand that more options could come at a later time but
please, I am begging you, add a shortcut to the button now so that
this wonderful feature can be used and not just tease us ;-)

Thanks for your understanding

John J Barton

Oct 5, 2010, 11:44:25 AM10/5/10
to Firebug

Firebug 1.6b1 is available from http://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.6X

> In the current situation, I click on the "Break On Next" but and as
> soon as i leave the firebug window, an event is triggered and
> therefore can never reach the desired control on the page that i want
> to debug.
>
> If we could move the pointer to the desired location, then use a
> shortcut to enable break on next, then click on the button or move the
> pointer to trigger the event desired, it would help incredibly.
>
> For me, this feature is essential and incredible but useless at this
> time. It has now been several releases since the first comment about
> this issue has been posted.
>
> Can someone please explain what prevents a developer from adding a row
> in the shortcut key window to allow us to configure a shortcut key for
> this button?

I don't know of anything that would prevent you from adding this
feature. The source is available as described in the FAQ:
http://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ
Let us know if you need help.

> I can understand that more options could come at a later time but
> please, I am begging you, add a shortcut to the button now so that
> this wonderful feature can be used and not just tease us ;-)
>
> Thanks for your understanding

Actually I don't understand what you are talking about. I don't think
this issue is relevant for Firebug 1.6.

jjb

Basdub

Oct 5, 2010, 1:13:13 PM10/5/10
to Firebug
Well, if it s going to be available on 1.6 that's fine with me.
Youppi!

Thank you.

I could, i guess add it my self... but really don't have the time to
learn something else again. I'm also working on something to make
others life easier (for free), so for firebug i must rely on you guys.

Don't misinterprets, I am totally thankful for all your hard work and
i understand what it implies... really!

It just seems so simple and been requested a long time ago.... It's
there, I can't use it and it's teasing and frustrating me not to be
able to use such a nice feature.

Have a nice day :-)

On Oct 5, 11:44 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 6:46 am, Basdub <dube.sebast...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > What is mandatory is simply a shortcut key to activate the "break on
> > next" button. I still don't understand why it's not available in
> > 1.5.4. I have seen comments about waiting for a bug fix that has
> > nothing to do with adding a shortcut key.
>
> Firebug 1.6b1 is available fromhttp://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.6X

ed

Oct 5, 2010, 1:16:43 PM10/5/10
to Firebug
I've had this problem also. Say you want to stop in an onclick handler
on an element in the page, but some enclosing element has an
onmouseover handler. I go to the firebug script panel and click the
pause button to activate break on next. Then as I move my mouse from
the firebug window to my element of interest, I have to pass through
its parent element and firebug breaks in it's onmouseover handler. I
can never get to the element with the onclick event handler.

A similar scenario occurs if you have a setInterval timer running. It
often fires before you can get from the firebug window to your element
of interest on the page.

A shortcut key to set break on next would help.
ed

On Oct 5, 11:44 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 6:46 am, Basdub <dube.sebast...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > What is mandatory is simply a shortcut key to activate the "break on
> > next" button. I still don't understand why it's not available in
> > 1.5.4. I have seen comments about waiting for a bug fix that has
> > nothing to do with adding a shortcut key.
>
> Firebug 1.6b1 is available fromhttp://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.6X

Sebo

Oct 6, 2010, 5:05:17 AM10/6/10
to Firebug
See the following issues for this:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=551
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1711

@John: What happened to this "cool new feature" mentioned in
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=3310#c6? Also note,
that showing the shortcuts in the tooltip as mentioned in comment 5 of
that issue would be very nice.