Firebug Lite Bookmarket/Favelet

Paul Irish

Dec 5, 2006, 12:25:04 PM12/5/06
to Firebug
For IE, i'd love to have a bookmarklet button that I can hit that
automatically includes the script file. That way I dont need to edit
the HTML of the page itself.
Is this possible?

Shog9

Dec 5, 2006, 2:21:20 PM12/5/06
to Firebug
The quick'n'easy code would look something like this:

javascript:var s = document.createElement("script"); s.src =
"http://aserver.com/path/to/firebug/firebug.js"; s.language =
"javascript"; document.body.insertBefore(theScript,
document.body.firstChild); void 0;

Of course, change the URL to a path that actually exists (preferably
one you own or have permission to be loading from frequently).

-josh

Paul Irish

Dec 5, 2006, 2:31:33 PM12/5/06
to Firebug
nice! thanks josh.
bugfix: i changed 'theScript' to 's'

On hitting F12, it loads but I'm getting a permission denied error with
my html file. It's referencing line 21:
<script>parent.onFirebugReady(document);</script>

any ideas?

Shog9

Dec 5, 2006, 3:25:05 PM12/5/06
to Firebug
Ah, shucks. Looks like the HTML template loaded into the IFRAME ends up
on a different domain this way, so no communication between them is
allowed.
Could probably make it work by filling the IFRAME programatically
though.

Paul Irish

Dec 5, 2006, 4:00:58 PM12/5/06
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Good idea.
I think I may bridge that gap with Stuart's new DOM Tool: http://muffinresearch.co.uk/code/javascript/DOMTool/
Thanks!

Joe

Dec 5, 2006, 5:46:00 PM12/5/06
to Firebug
Good ideas - I'll try to modify Firebug Lite so it can be used as a
bookmarklet.