Firefox 3.0.7 and Firebug 1.3.3 problem

ben_in_oakland

Mar 5, 2009, 9:54:41 PM3/5/09
to Firebug
Downloaded 3.0.7 FF today and had to disable Firebug because my page
would not display. However it would display if I hit the refresh
button.

Firebug seems to hang when it hits the javascript files I included in
my script tags. Anybody else with similar problems?

ben_in_oakland

Mar 5, 2009, 9:54:41 PM3/5/09
to Firebug

johnjbarton

Mar 5, 2009, 11:22:06 PM3/5/09
to Firebug
I'm running FF3.0.7 + firebug 1.3.3 now, and I don't see such a
problem.
jjb

Zac Zheng

Mar 6, 2009, 6:36:40 AM3/6/09
to Firebug
I am experiencing the same issue. My Ubuntu just updated Firefox to
3.0.7 and FF is now hanging on loading a webpage. The page is then
displayed after refreshing or disabling firefox.

Does anyone know of a fix?

gerdziegler

Mar 6, 2009, 5:27:23 AM3/6/09
to Firebug
Same problem for me

chnain

Mar 6, 2009, 4:14:49 AM3/6/09
to Firebug
I've got the same problem since version FF 3.0.7, into a page with
complex javascript libraries (such as scriptaculous).

I've got javascript files included in script tags by object DOM.

Strange...

gerdziegler

Mar 6, 2009, 5:26:49 AM3/6/09
to Firebug
Same problem for me.

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 11:10:45 AM3/6/09
to Firebug
It would be helpful if someone who experience this problem would post
a specific URL that fails for them.
jjb

gerdziegler

Mar 6, 2009, 11:21:16 AM3/6/09
to Firebug
I'm using jQuery 1.3.2 and it fails in click() handler or form submit

Fabrizio A.

Mar 6, 2009, 12:51:49 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
I too have this problem. It appears to happen when a google map is
embedded in a webpage. I have a hard time opening links that contain a
Google Map, like my Google Latitude iGoogle gadget or my Joomla
component SimpleCalendar, which uses GoogleMaps for positioning of the
events, like here: http://www.gal.ch/index.php?option=com_simplecal&controller=simplecal&view=detail&id=12

Best regards
Fabrizio

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 1:01:27 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
I have no trouble with that site.

I guess the problems reported here are either locale related or
related to other extensions.

Has anyone seen this with en-US?

If you've seen this, do you have HTMLValidator or Skype extensions?

jjb

On Mar 6, 9:51 am, "Fabrizio A." <f.albon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I too have this problem. It appears to happen when a google map is
> embedded in a webpage. I have a hard time opening links that contain a
> Google Map, like my Google Latitude iGoogle gadget or my Joomla
> component SimpleCalendar, which uses GoogleMaps for positioning of the
> events, like here:http://www.gal.ch/index.php?option=com_simplecal&controller=simplecal...

gerdziegler

Mar 6, 2009, 1:10:57 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
I have a google map on my page too

Randy Bey

Mar 6, 2009, 1:12:48 PM3/6/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
my firefox 3.0.7 and firebug 1.3.3 are working fine, checked maps.google.com and had no problems. I have HTML validator but not skype.

RW

Mar 6, 2009, 1:45:54 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
I had the same problem. Disabled all addons but firebug and my pages
wouldn't load. I'm using Extjs and lots of custom script files. If i
clear Firefox's cache the pages will load once, then it stop loading
again.

On Mar 6, 10:12 am, Randy Bey <randy....@gmail.com> wrote:
> my firefox 3.0.7 and firebug 1.3.3 are working fine, checked
> maps.google.comand had no problems. I have HTML validator but not
> skype.

RW

Mar 6, 2009, 2:18:51 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
Just a Little more tech info:

I'm runnning
OSX 10.5.6
Firebug 1.3.3
Firefox 3.0.7
Webserver is Mongrel - i'm developing a rails app
Javascript framework Ext JS 2.2

The refresh button works but if I just hit enter near the address bar
the page will not reload.
This never happened with Firefox 3.0.6 and doesn't happen when Firebug
is disabled.
On my production server Apache+Phusion Passenger the app doesn't
exhibit this behavior.

ben_in_oakland

Mar 6, 2009, 4:02:21 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
Hi

I started this post last night. I see many similarities with the
people who are experiencing this problems

I'm running
Firebug 1.3.3
Firefox 3.0.7
Rails app
Embeded Google Map
Javascript: prototype.js and my own javascript that does the google
map stuff.

My page works fine if I disable Firebug or do not include the
javascript files --but not including the js sort of removes most of
the functionality.

I hope that helps. Sorry I could not get back sooner but was in a
plane all day.

Roginator

Mar 6, 2009, 3:15:11 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
i can't believe this - i have just spent hours troubleshooting some
slow loading pages on my site only to discover that the problem was
down to firebug! i have some google maps embedded on my pages (with
panoramio photos). the pages weren't loading properly so i removed the
embedded maps to get them running again. then i realised that the
panoramio website wasn't loading properly. i then tried the panoramio
site in IE and bingo - it worked fine! i then realised that the whole
problem was caused by firebug.

see if you have this problem too. visit www.panoramio.com in firefox
with firebug enabled (you may have to browse to the forum to see the
problem). then try it with firebug disabled - suddenly it works!

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 4:24:01 PM3/6/09
to Firebug

> see if you have this problem too. visitwww.panoramio.comin firefox
> with firebug enabled (you may have to browse to the forum to see the
> problem). then try it with firebug disabled - suddenly it works!

For me:

The www.panoramio.com site works with Firebug 1.3.3 in Firefox 3.0.6
on linux but fails for the same version of Firebug in Firefox 3.0.7.

The site loads for Firebug 1.4a13 in Firefox 3.0.7 WinXP.

The site loads for Firebug 1.3.3 in Firefox 3.0.7 WinXP but the Forum
link hangs on ajax.googleapis.com.

jjb

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 4:43:22 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
More experiments on this site.

Linux:
If I disable the Net panel, the site seems to work.
If I enable the Net panel but use Control-F5 to reload the page the
site works.
If I enable the Net panel but use Control-R to reload it hangs.

WinXP
Seem more erratic. I've seen it hang but can't reproduce it.

jjb

On Mar 6, 1:24 pm, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> > see if you have this problem too. visitwww.panoramio.cominfirefox
> > with firebug enabled (you may have to browse to the forum to see the
> > problem). then try it with firebug disabled - suddenly it works!
>
> For me:
>
> Thewww.panoramio.comsite works with Firebug 1.3.3 in Firefox 3.0.6

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 5:01:24 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
Actually its erratic on linux too, the most reliable hangs come with
Control-R and the net panel enabled.

The erratic part may be hidden timing issues between the Firefox cache
and the server cache.

For the moment it seems like users of 1.3.3 may need to back up to
Firefox 3.0.6.

jjb

On Mar 6, 1:43 pm, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> More experiments on this site.
>
> Linux:
> If I disable the Net panel, the site seems to work.
> If I enable the Net panel but use Control-F5 to reload the page the
> site works.
> If I enable the Net panel but use Control-R to reload it hangs.
>
> WinXP
> Seem more erratic. I've seen it hang but can't reproduce it.
>
> jjb
>
> On Mar 6, 1:24 pm, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
> > > see if you have this problem too. visitwww.panoramio.cominfirefox
> > > with firebug enabled (you may have to browse to the forum to see the
> > > problem). then try it with firebug disabled - suddenly it works!
>
> > For me:
>
> > Thewww.panoramio.comsiteworks with Firebug 1.3.3 in Firefox 3.0.6

Rob Campbell

Mar 6, 2009, 5:35:23 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
I've filed Issue 1565: http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1565&sort=-id.

Please follow up there with additional information or steps to
reproduce. Thanks for reporting this.

On Mar 6, 6:01 pm, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> Actually its erratic on linux too, the most reliable hangs come with
> Control-R and the net panel enabled.
>
> The erratic part may be hidden timing issues between the Firefox cache
> and the server cache.
>
> For the moment it seems like users of 1.3.3 may need to back up to
> Firefox 3.0.6.
>
> jjb
>
> On Mar 6, 1:43 pm, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
> > More experiments on this site.
>
> > Linux:
> > If I disable the Net panel, the site seems to work.
> > If I enable the Net panel but use Control-F5 to reload the page the
> > site works.
> > If I enable the Net panel but use Control-R to reload it hangs.
>
> > WinXP
> > Seem more erratic. I've seen it hang but can't reproduce it.
>
> > jjb

> > > For me:
>
> > > Thewww.panoramio.comsiteworkswith Firebug 1.3.3 in Firefox 3.0.6

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 5:50:14 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
Are you using any googleapis?

jjb

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 5:50:51 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
Are you using googleapis?
jjb

Ben Butler

Mar 6, 2009, 5:52:08 PM3/6/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Yes I am using many googlemapapis

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 8:05:50 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
Has anyone who has hit this gone back to FF 3.0.6 and seen that it for
sure does not happen?

I tried 3.0.6 but not very many times and since the problem is
somewhat erratic I may have missed the hang.

I think this is important, because the change could also be on the
server code, so that the problem was in Firebug all along, just
coincidentally happens when FF3.0.7 comes out.

jjb

On Mar 6, 2:52 pm, Ben Butler <bbutlerco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I am using many googlemapapis

Ben Butler

Mar 6, 2009, 8:18:15 PM3/6/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Well I was using 3.0.6 until I downloaded 3.0.7 yesterday and that's when the problem manifested itself.

johnjbarton

Mar 6, 2009, 9:18:14 PM3/6/09
to Firebug
But my point is that google could have changed at the same time. If
someone can now go back to 3.0.6 and verify that the problem does not
occur we are more certain of the source.
jjb

On Mar 6, 5:18 pm, Ben Butler <bbutlerco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I was using 3.0.6 until I downloaded 3.0.7 yesterday and that's when
> the problem manifested itself.

Jan Odvarko

Mar 7, 2009, 6:31:16 AM3/7/09
to Firebug
My theory is that Firefox cache has been somehow changed in 3.0.7 and
Firebug now cause a deadlock/timeout. I have been digging into this
and found one specific use case that could be source of the problem.

Please take a look at Issue 1565, comment 8:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1565#c8

I have attached two test builds (1.3 and 1.4). Could anyone please try
it and let me know if the problems still occur in these builds?

Thanks!
Honza

gerdziegler

Mar 7, 2009, 6:47:25 AM3/7/09
to Firebug
Tried firebug-1.3XJ.3.1dev.xpi and works form me, no more blocking.

Fabrizio A.

Mar 7, 2009, 5:36:26 PM3/7/09
to Firebug
I also tried firebug-1.3XJ.3.1dev.xpi and the problem seems solved. I
can confirm that after having had a complete cleanup of my firefox
installation that first access works, second access to the same page
freezes. The cache is the likely cause of this problem. I also tried
reverting back to FF 3.0.6, no problems at all with this version (and
fb 1.3.3).
Will try to "stress" the version to see if something bad happens. For
now thanks a lot and best regards,

Fabrizio

Rob Campbell

Mar 10, 2009, 6:48:37 AM3/10/09
to Firebug
After some investigation, we've determined that the bug is in Firefox
itself.

The error does not occur in Firefox 3.0.6 and this may be the easiest
fix for the time-being for Firebug users. Alternatively, Jan's patch
(1.3XJ.3.1dev.xpi) posted in issue 1565 will work with Firefox 3.0.7
but may have other unpredictable results, especially where the Firebug
cache is concerned.

Nathan

Mar 10, 2009, 11:40:51 PM3/10/09
to Firebug
Same here same versions and all of a sudden page does not load because
of firebug and google maps. No error or reason why though.

On Mar 7, 5:15 am, Roginator <rog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i can't believe this - i have just spent hours troubleshooting some
> slow loading pages on my site only to discover that the problem was
> down to firebug! i have somegooglemapsembedded on my pages (with
> panoramio photos). the pages weren't loading properly so i removed the
> embeddedmapsto get them running again. then i realised that the
> panoramio website wasn't loading properly. i then tried the panoramio
> site in IE and bingo - it worked fine! i then realised that the whole
> problem was caused by firebug.
>
> see if you have this problem too. visitwww.panoramio.comin firefox

ClubUgly ™

Mar 11, 2009, 6:18:14 AM3/11/09
to Firebug
I have updated firefox to 3.0.7 and firebug to 1.3.3 and after
restarting some pages failed to load and just hanged. After trying
safe mode and everything worked fine, I went back to regular mode and
disabled everything one by one keeping FIrebug for last of course as
I'm trying to see what's happening when page loads it finally came
down to disabling it and problem solved. I restarted fox enabling the
firebug and problem reproduced on two machines.

I really love this product and can't live without it so I hope the
next upgrade takes care of this.

Dougal

Mar 11, 2009, 8:03:58 AM3/11/09
to Firebug
If you disable the script functionality it works for me. So you can
still use console and net but script seems to mess it up.

Dougal