God I'm really sorry to start...

Red Cardinal

Dec 4, 2006, 8:12:14 AM12/4/06
to Firebug
First off Joe thanks for the reease.
Second I'm not directing this at you Joe - you've probably got enough
on your plate.
******

I have had a problem with FB not picking up stlye sheets since 0.41 and
FF2.0.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem?

I have disabled every plugin barring DOM Inspector, Talkback and
Firebug 1.0 but still get:

'Unable to show styles. You must install DOM Inspector.'

when I try to inspect CSS?

If anyone has seen this behaviour, or knows how to correct I'd be very
apprecaitive.

Best rgds and thanks in advacne

Richard

Joe

Dec 4, 2006, 9:54:18 AM12/4/06
to Firebug
Are you using a build of Firefox that you made yourself? If so, be
sure to build the dom-utils component - it is normally included with
DOM Inspector if you get a stock build.

Jim McCabe

Dec 4, 2006, 10:24:11 AM12/4/06
to Firebug
I am also seeing the same issue with Firebug (just downloaded a few
minutes ago) and Firefox 2.0. It's not a custom build of Firefox and I
definitely have the DOM inspector installed.

When selecting an element in the HTML tree, the "Style" tab in the
right pane says "Unable to show styles. You must install DOM
Inspector."

I even tried it with the DOM Inspector already up and running for the
page, no difference.

-- Jim

ctwise

Dec 4, 2006, 11:17:31 AM12/4/06
to Firebug

Ditto with Firefox 2.0 on Windows. DOM Inspector definitely installed
and working.

Red Cardinal

Dec 4, 2006, 11:20:21 AM12/4/06
to Firebug
No - I'm using a plain vanilla install.

As I said I thought that maybe it was another plugin interferring, but
after disabling everuthing I stiil found the same behaviour :(

Happy that I have 1.0 but disappointed I cant get CSS.

Dee Zsombor

Dec 4, 2006, 11:25:54 AM12/4/06
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Same problem under Linux using the official FF 2.0 build downloaded
minutes ago.

--
Company - http://primalgrasp.com
Thoughts - http://deezsombor.blogspot.com

robbru...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2006, 1:27:34 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
Just a note to say I have the same issue, and DOM Inspector is
definitely installed.

Also I have to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the developer for
creating Firebug. It is quite simply everything I ever wished I had for
debugging browser markup, scripts, and CSS. I donated first time
around, will donate more on this release, and encourage everyone else
to do so.

Did I say THANK YOU yet?

TheCatWhisperer

Dec 4, 2006, 1:29:27 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
I'm seeing the same thing.

I cannot see anything in the css tab at all, but my co-worker (who also
just installed it, sees & edits css fine.

We are both running Firefox 2.0, in Windows XP Pro.

Richard Davies

Dec 4, 2006, 1:32:16 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
Red Cardinal wrote:
> I have had a problem with FB not picking up stlye sheets since 0.41 and
> FF2.0.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem?
>
> 'Unable to show styles. You must install DOM Inspector.'
> when I try to inspect CSS?
>
> If anyone has seen this behaviour, or knows how to correct I'd be very
> apprecaitive.

Yes, I too am having this problem. I can't see any CSS info with the
new Firebug 1.0 beta. I'm running Firefox 2.0 on Windows.

Eduardo Monteiro

Dec 4, 2006, 1:55:18 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
Same here!

"Must install DOM inspector"

Herm

Dec 4, 2006, 3:45:04 PM12/4/06
to Firebug

Eduardo Monteiro wrote:
> Same here!
>
> "Must install DOM inspector"

Me too.

cgro

Dec 4, 2006, 4:47:20 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
Me too.

XP SP2, FF2.0, DOM Inspector definitely working.

Chris

travis,hardiman&gmail,com

Dec 4, 2006, 5:33:27 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
I'm getting the error as well. Here's my info...

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1)
Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0

Extensions (enabled: 19, disabled: 5):
* Beer oclock 1.3 [disabled]
* CCK Wizard 1.1 [disabled]
* ChromEdit 0.1.1.1
* DOM Inspector 1.8.1
* ErrorZilla 0.2
* Fangs 1.0.3
* Fasterfox 2.0.0
* Firebug 1.0b1
* Firesomething 1.7.1 [disabled]
* Flashblock 1.5.2
* Forecastfox Enhanced 0.9.3.1 [disabled]
* Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.5
* Google Notebook 1.0.0.10
* Google Toolbar for Firefox 2.1.20060807W
* Html Validator 0.7.9.5
* Image Zoom 0.2.7
* InfoLister 0.9f
* Launchy 4.2.0
* LinkChecker 0.6.1
* Omea Connector 1.0.928.2 [disabled]
* Resizeable Form Fields 0.2.1
* Session Manager 0.4.3
* Talkback 2.0
* Web Developer 1.0.2

Themes (4):
* Ancyent 0.2.0
* Firefox (default) 2.0 [selected]
* Littlefox 1.7.01
* Phoenity 1.5.915

Plugins (19):
* Adobe Acrobat
* AOL Media Playback Plugin
* Authorware Web Player
* DivX® Content Upload Plugin
* DivX® Web Player
* Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6
* Microsoft Office 2003
* Microsoft® DRM
* Mozilla Default Plug-in
* Office Genuine Advantage validation plug-in
* Onfolio 2.0
* QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4
* RealPlayer Version Plugin
* RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
* Sametime Java Loader
* Shockwave Flash
* Shockwave for Director
* Windows Genuine Advantage validation plug-in
* Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

Aside from that, Firebug is awesome!

-Travis

DiGi

Dec 4, 2006, 5:35:03 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
On one pc all works fine, on second no CSS with "You must install DOM
Inspector.". Of course on both pc's is DOM Inspector (pre)installed
(from Firefox installation) and working...

I removed extension and reinstall Firefox but it is same...

Firefox 2 czech, DOM Inspector 1.8.1, WinXP SP2 czech

DiGi

DiGi

Dec 4, 2006, 5:41:45 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
Finally - I'd completely remove Firefox (uninstall and rename nonempty
folder) and install it again... And CSS starts working...

DiGi

Red Cardinal

Dec 4, 2006, 7:16:38 PM12/4/06
to Firebug
That solved it :)

I owe you a beer DiGi.

tys...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2006, 12:12:44 AM12/5/06
to Firebug
Related to CSS but a different problem: when viewing sites with the
stylesheet called with @import, I get 'There are no rules in this
stylesheet.' in the CSS pane. If the stylesheet is called with
<link...> it works fine. This is on FF2.0.
Other than that, it looks awesome.

Message has been deleted

Rob B.

Dec 5, 2006, 11:19:20 AM12/5/06
to Firebug
Another beer for DiGi! Works for me!

Richard Davies

Dec 5, 2006, 11:38:10 AM12/5/06
to Firebug
Unfortunately, this is not a practical solution. There needs to be a
way to get this working with existing profiles.

Dawgdaze

Dec 5, 2006, 2:52:37 PM12/5/06
to Firebug
I'm still getting the problem, even after a full reinstall. I'm going
through all of my extensions now looking for conflicts. I'll post
results if I get any.

Dawgdaze

Dec 6, 2006, 12:19:42 PM12/6/06
to Firebug
Ok... so... I guess i misread DiGi's original fix. I uninstalled and
moved my non-empty profile directory, when it was the program directory
that was causing the problem. Perhaps upgrading a 1.5.x FF leaves some
junk in the program folder and hoses DOM Inspector somehow. In any
case, it appears that none of the extensions I use are to blame.
Thanks DiGi. I saved my old program directory, hopefully I'll get time
soon to figure out what's different and track this down. I'll post
here if I do, but don't hold your breath ;)

Paul

DiGi

Dec 6, 2006, 2:50:09 PM12/6/06
to Firebug
You won't lost anything from your profiles... Just only search engines
(and you can copy them).

I don't know what is different in clean install, but simple uninstall
and reinstall DOM Inspector it not working...
Reinstall Firefox is one minute work. On my corporate pc works Firebug
immediately, on my home pc and notebook I must do reinstall.

DiGi

Richard Davies

Dec 6, 2006, 3:05:33 PM12/6/06
to Firebug
Could you please post some general steps showing what you did to fix
the problem? I'd like to get it fixed, but I'm not sure how you are
reinstalling Firefox without losing your profile settings. Thanks!!

On Dec 6, 11:50 am, "DiGi" <dig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You won't lost anything from your profiles... Just only search engines
> (and you can copy them).

DiGi

Dec 6, 2006, 4:08:02 PM12/6/06
to Firebug
Profiles are stored in your %appdata% (on Win2k/xp) or inside home
folder (linux etc). So if you uninstall Firefox you will not remove
your profiles. They are on different place. Inside Firefox folder are
plugins (Flash, ...) and Search Engines (why are they global I don't
know - ask Mozilla ;-) ).
You can remove Firefox (from Control panel or using Mozilla
Firefox\uninstall\uninst.exe) and you should remove/rename old folder
(or install Firefox to new location). Then install Firefox. Start it
and you are in your profile.
Simple reinstalling over previous version will not help. I don't know
where exactly is the trouble, but reinstall with removing folder is
work for 2 minutes only and will fix your problem. Don't be scared.

DiGi

Richard Davies

Dec 6, 2006, 6:09:55 PM12/6/06
to Firebug
Thank you! Your explanation makes perfect sense now. I tried it and it
worked perfectly. CSS stuff in Firebug now works!

beebop

Dec 7, 2006, 9:47:02 AM12/7/06
to Firebug

DiGi schrieb:

> Finally - I'd completely remove Firefox (uninstall and rename nonempty
> folder) and install it again... And CSS starts working...

Thank you, this fixed Firebug for me.

Since uninstalling without renaming/deleting does not work, I looked at
this bug more closely: There was an inspector*.dll (and some other
files starting with inspector*) left in the components directory. The
version of the dll was 1.7.something, although my DOM-Inspector's
version had been 1.8.1, so I suspect it was left over from a previous
installation.
If anyone still encounters this problem, you might just try
deleting/moving away these files.

beebop

Jim McCabe

Dec 7, 2006, 10:27:44 AM12/7/06
to Firebug
I know everyone else is chiming in with this, but I just also wanted to
add that indeed it fixed the problem for me and was truly painless. I
made a backup copy of my Firefox application data folder just in case
it disappeared but everything stayed put, even all my skins and
extensions, which surprised me.

I also notice that the DOM Inspector works better. It's funny that I
didn't notice before, but the CSS info was definitely blank in the DOM
inspector since I'd upgraded to FF2, but I hadn't really paid much
attention to that. Now it works in both Firebug and DOM Inspector.

So this really ends up being a Firefox 2 install bug, rather than a
Firebug issue.

- Jim

Herm

Dec 7, 2006, 9:34:43 PM12/7/06
to Firebug
Fixed it for me too. I finally have css styles again (actually lost
them in 1.5.08 or about that timeframe). To recap, the fix for me was:

1. Add/Remove Programs - remove Mozilla Firefox 2.0
2. Rename the "c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox" folder (to "c:\program
files\Mozilla Firefox-old")
3. Re-install Mozilla Firefox 2.0 & firebug

Tim Dorr

Dec 8, 2006, 4:33:34 PM12/8/06
to Firebug
Hunted through the source code and found this in there:

var domUtils = null;
try {
domUtils = CCSV("@mozilla.org/inspector/dom-utils;1",
"inIDOMUtils");
} catch (exc) {
// We can try to live without "dom-utils", since it only comes with
DOM Inspector
}

Later on it uses domUtils to produce the error message we're all
seeing:

if (!domUtils)
{
FirebugReps.Warning.tag.replace({object:
"DOMInspectorWarning"}, this.panelNode);
return;
}

So, we need to determine why the XPCOM component
@mozilla.org/inspector/dom-utils;1 isn't available. There's a nice
viewer addon to peruse the components in your system here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2230/ I had to hack the XPI to get
it to install in FF 2.0, but it works. I found that, as expected, the
inIDOMUtils interface isn't there. So, it looks like something with the
DOM Inspector is getting messed up.

To be honest, I'd just code around this and not rely on something
optional being installed. But that's a bigger task and I'm not the one
doing it, so it's easy to say :)

-TIm

Red Cardinal wrote:
> First off Joe thanks for the reease.
> Second I'm not directing this at you Joe - you've probably got enough
> on your plate.
> ******
>

> I have had a problem with FB not picking up stlye sheets since 0.41 and
> FF2.0.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem?
>

> I have disabled every plugin barring DOM Inspector, Talkback and
> Firebug 1.0 but still get:
>

> 'Unable to show styles. You must install DOM Inspector.'
>
> when I try to inspect CSS?
>
> If anyone has seen this behaviour, or knows how to correct I'd be very
> apprecaitive.

slimc9999

Dec 9, 2006, 11:08:29 AM12/9/06
to Firebug
This doesn't work for me. I tried 2 complete reinstalls, but got the
same problem each time.
Any other ideas?

Ciofegates

Dec 9, 2006, 11:49:19 AM12/9/06
to Firebug

But why not format your hard disk, and reinstall Windows?

Surely yours is a solution, but not very good, IMHO. Reinstall Firefox
is one minute work. Reinstall bookmark, too. Reinstall extensions, not
sure it's a minute work. Configuring pref.js with my personal settings,
definitely NOT a minute work.

Ciofegates

Dec 9, 2006, 11:49:41 AM12/9/06
to Firebug

But why not format your hard disk, and reinstall Windows?

Richard Davies

Dec 9, 2006, 12:44:37 PM12/9/06
to Firebug
Re-read the previous posts. You won't lose your profile, your
bookmarks, your extensions, or your prefs.js, or even your seach
engines (in my experience) because all of these things are stored in
your "profile" folder which is in a different location from the Firefox
"application" folder that you're removing and then reinstalling.
(You're not removing your profile folder.)

If you're really paranoid, just make a backup copy of your Firefox
application folder, uninstall, and then delete the application folder.
You'll still have the backup in case you need to restore a particular
file.

On Dec 9, 8:49 am, "Ciofegates" <ciofega...@mailinater.com> wrote:
> > You won't lost anything from your profiles... Just only search engines
> > (and you can copy them).
>
> > I don't know what is different in clean install, but simple uninstall
> > and reinstall DOM Inspector it not working...
> > Reinstall Firefox is one minute work. On my corporate pc works Firebug

> > immediately, on my home pc and notebook I must do reinstall.But why not format your hard disk, and reinstall Windows?

Richard Davies

Dec 9, 2006, 12:45:53 PM12/9/06
to Firebug
Did you completely delete your Program Files\Mozilla Firefox directory
after the uninstall but before the reinstall? That seems to be the
crucial step.

DiGi

Dec 9, 2006, 12:53:09 PM12/9/06
to Firebug
Please... Your Bookmars, your extensions, your configuration, cookies,
passwords - is in YOUR profile - not in Firefox folder. Each user have
own home folder, and each user have more that only one Firefox profile.
Removing Firefox will NOT delete your profile.

More information about profiles:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

There are only two things that are in Firefox folder:

1) serach engines
2) core plugins (usually only Flash)

Of course you can spend hours by finding better solution, it is on you
;-)

DiGi

rockoyster

Dec 9, 2006, 5:34:58 PM12/9/06
to Firebug

rockoyster

Dec 9, 2006, 5:36:16 PM12/9/06
to Firebug

DiGi wrote:
> Please... Your Bookmars, your extensions, your configuration, cookies,
> passwords - is in YOUR profile - not in Firefox folder. Each user have
> own home folder, and each user have more that only one Firefox profile.
> Removing Firefox will NOT delete your profile.
>
> More information about profiles:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
>
> There are only two things that are in Firefox folder:
>
> 1) serach engines
> 2) core plugins (usually only Flash)
>
> Of course you can spend hours by finding better solution, it is on you

I vote DiGi for Hall of Fame - where do we send the beers DiGi?

Ciofegates

Dec 10, 2006, 6:29:52 PM12/10/06
to Firebug
> Please... Your Bookmars, your extensions, your configuration, cookies,
> passwords - is in YOUR profile - not in Firefox folder. Each user have
> own home folder, and each user have more that only one Firefox profile.
> Removing Firefox will NOT delete your profile.
>
> More information about profiles:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Yes, you are right. I know what is a profile and how Firefox manages
profiles, but I had wrongly understood that to solve the problem it is
needed to delete the profiles besides disinstalling Firefox.

Indeed, since I was really interested in Firebug, I disinstalled
Firefox and delete my profile folder, after having made a backup of it.
When I have reinstalled Firefox, I tried to copy some of the files of
my backupped folder to the new one and check Firefox each time, and
finally I realized with surprise that Firebug did work with the same
files of my backupped profile folder.

Thanks.

Alessandro Vernet

Dec 11, 2006, 9:00:10 PM12/11/06
to Firebug
DiGi,

Re-installing Firefox doesn't seem to do the trick for me. I
uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled it, but still see "Unable to show
styles" in the Style tab. And yes, I do have the DOM Inspector
installed. Still, thank you for helping.

Alex

Alessandro Vernet

Dec 11, 2006, 9:08:14 PM12/11/06
to Firebug

Works for me too! I had tried to reinstall Firefox before, but was
missing step 2.

Alex
--
Blog (XML, Web apps, Open Source):
http://www.orbeon.com/blog/

Nutrino

Dec 12, 2006, 9:41:30 AM12/12/06
to Firebug
Beebop has already given the correct, and easiest, solution.

Delete the following (old) files from the "components" folder (in the
main Mozilla Firefox folder):
inspector.dll
inspector.xpt
inspector-cmdline.js

Now you can just re-install Firefox 2 OVER the previous install - you
do not have to uninstall Firefox beforehand !

This has now been tried on 5 computers and works a treat.

Nutrino

Joe

Dec 12, 2006, 4:44:18 PM12/12/06
to Firebug
My guess is that the problem here occurs for people who installed
Firefox 1.5 with the DOM Inspector, but when they upgraded to Firefox
2.0 they forgot to check DOM Inspector again in the installer.

Eric

Dec 13, 2006, 11:43:12 AM12/13/06
to Firebug
I get the same message w/ @import. Is that a limitation with Firebug? I
searched the group but found no threads on this topic.

Thanks!

FrozenSC

Dec 13, 2006, 9:15:37 PM12/13/06
to Firebug
I removed the files inspector.dll, inspector.xpt and
instpector-cmdline.js from the components directory and reinstalled
FireFox over the top of my existing install, and CSS styles started
working.

FrozenSC

Dec 13, 2006, 9:19:04 PM12/13/06
to Firebug

beebop wrote:

I removed the files inspector.dll, inspector.xpt and

klokie

Dec 22, 2006, 4:51:46 AM12/22/06
to Firebug
> removed the files inspector.dll, inspector.xpt and
> instpector-cmdline.js from the components directory and reinstalled
> FireFox over the top of my existing install, and CSS styles started
> working.

yep, that worked for me too!
Thanks a bunch.

Omegatron

Jan 19, 2007, 4:38:45 PM1/19/07
to Firebug
Nutrino wrote:
> Delete the following (old) files from the "components" folder (in the
> main Mozilla Firefox folder):
> inspector.dll
> inspector.xpt
> inspector-cmdline.js
>
> Now you can just re-install Firefox 2 OVER the previous install - you
> do not have to uninstall Firefox beforehand !

This works for me, too! Thanks! The CSS style rules have not worked
in DOM Inspector for a long time. I thought it was just a bug in the
Inspector and waited around patiently for it to be fixed. Then I tried
installing Firebug to replace this functionality, and it didn't work,
either. But it *did* give me a helpful link to the FAQ and this page
when it did so.

Lord-M

Jan 24, 2007, 5:59:26 PM1/24/07
to Firebug
Nutrino wrote:
> Delete the following (old) files from the "components" folder (in the
> main Mozilla Firefox folder):
> inspector.dll
> inspector.xpt
> inspector-cmdline.js

> Now you can just re-install Firefox 2 OVER the previous install - you
> do not have to uninstall Firefox beforehand !

On Firefox 2.0.0.1, removed the DOM-Inspector via the AddOns window,
removed the files as specified above and just restarted Firefox.
Everything seems to be working okay now (CSS tab is working as
intended), _without_ having the DOM Inspector even installed... Neither
needed to reinstall Firefox...

andre.m...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2007, 1:22:40 PM1/29/07
to Firebug
hi everyone,

there is a bugzilla thread on this issue at

and there is a temp fix in comment #22
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306340#c22

the problem is that each you install or update any extension, you'll
have to fix it by hand. i haven't tried DiGi's solution, but tried
several others involving profiles and stuff and nothing was as stable
as this solution.

anyway, if you care for firebug, it would be nice to cast a vote on
this bug ; )

hope it helps. cheers.

andre.m...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2007, 1:25:58 PM1/29/07
to Firebug
oops, there's a word missing:

the problem is that each *time* you install or update any extension...

On 29 jan, 16:22, "andre.malhe...@gmail.com"

PeteJS

Feb 13, 2007, 8:42:32 AM2/13/07
to Firebug
That's just worked for me too. Must be a bug in the install that
doesn't replace these files and perhaps should be bugged on bugzilla?

Pete

rcoup

Feb 13, 2007, 5:44:12 PM2/13/07
to Firebug
The simple(ish) solution until the moz bug is fixed:

1. Exit Firefox.
2. Open the xpti.dat file in your Firefox *profile* directory (not the
application directory).
3. Find the line "223,inIDOMUtils,{ffffd059-13d1-4ef7-
acb1-91188c6e31dd},2,-1,1" (the 223 may be different)
4. Replace with "223,inIDOMUtils,{78fd16c2-bdfb-4b1d-8738-
d536d0a8f430},0,-1,1" (the 223 should match whatever you had before).
5. Save & restart Firefox.
6. CSS view works!

Andre Malheiro

Feb 13, 2007, 6:23:10 PM2/13/07
to fir...@googlegroups.com
rcoup, i've used that solution before, which i found in the bugzilla
thread on this issue with the css styles panel in DOMi, but the
problem is that any update to your extensions requires you to edit
xpti.dat by hand.

imho, a better solution was given in this groups. take a look at this msg:

http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/msg/a0807b5de9d07073

hope it helps =D

Lo

Feb 21, 2007, 1:28:55 PM2/21/07
to Firebug
Hi,

the easiest solution is :

- uninstall Firebug;
- delete those files (backup them before) :
inspector.dll
inspector.xpt
inspector-cmdline.js
- reinstall Firebug