Re: Library Materials

Dulagan Cynthia

Jan 14, 2010, 10:17:54 PM1/14/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com

Librarians in the Academe,

If you have the related topics like books, theses collection, etc. about this proposal please inform so that I we can scheduled to research in your libraries as soon as possible. The Thesis proposal is entitled: Enrollment Management in Early Childhood Education. something related to the topic.

Thank you so much.

Paulina Baba

Jan 15, 2010, 1:49:49 AM1/15/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
To Mam Cynthia:

Pertaining to your research, please subscribe or sign up to docstoc, I'm sure you will find lots of references that suit to your research needs....the site is:     http://www.docstoc.com      just surf and discover the vast information stored in this database...

If you have the related topics like books, theses collection, etc. about this proposal please inform so that I we can scheduled to research in your libraries as soon as possible. The Thesis proposal is entitled:  Enrollment Management in Early Childhood Education.  something related to the topic.

Thank you so much.

Get your new Email address!

Myrna C. Halim

Jan 20, 2010, 7:40:21 PM1/20/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com, lib...@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph, cbalib...@yahoo.com, lib...@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph, lib-...@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph

YES, it's more than ten years librarians are not given due considerations like
other professions. Librarians in government agencies are even burdened with
accountabilities. We signed AREs as accountable officials for the materials we
serve to clientele, while other professions they sign for a fee.

Similarly, BFL should coordinate with DBM since our promotion cannot be approved
if there is no available item for librarians in the agency. My case is, I am a
Librarian's eligible in 1982 and converted the same to PRC License which was
approved in 1994. I serve as College Librarian I for 21 years, reached the
ceiling of step 8 in 1997. I am deprived of a promotion despite my MLS and MPA
degrees, recently finished the academic requirements for a PhD in Philippine
Studies. Likewise, I am deprived of the longevity incentive every three years
of permanent tenure since I reached step 8 due outstanding and very satisfactory
ratings because DBM has not approved our promotion.

Another irony is the giving of incentive to board positions by promoting one
rank higher in terms of pay for Librarian I or Accountant I. To my dismay,
College Librarian I was not included, when it is a fact that this position can
only be occupied if one is licensed like Librarian I and the like.

Even if I did not take the board for librarian, I was exempted because of my
Librarian's, Teacher's, and Civil service eligibilities before RA 6966 was
enacted.

It is anticipated that my sentiments be heard and given due justice like all
others on the same boat as I do.

Thank you for opening this issue. Librarians should be recognized as important
instrument to achieve the thrust for academmic excellence.

Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph.

Vhic Gilos

Jan 21, 2010, 12:12:04 AM1/21/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
You may consider using refseek search engine....

Paulina Baba

Jan 20, 2010, 11:56:30 PM1/20/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com

To Mam Myrna,

Mam we share the same sentiments.

In the government agencies, the librarian positions are in status quo, it depends on the plantilla approved by the civil service of a particular agency.  This is true to all administrative positions like the Registrar, HRMO, Budget Officer, Accountant, etc.  The CS Qualification Standards for librarian positions only ask for basic requirements such as the RA 1080 for Librarians (this refers to librarian's license) for librarian 1 position and  at least 2 years exeperience and RA 1080 for College Librarian III position. Unless if a particular agency is elevated say:  from a school to a state college, a School Librarian III (receiving a salary grade 12) shall be re-classed to a College Librarian III (receiving a salary grade 18)position if she can meet the basic requirements. It is true that last July,2009 salary increase for government workers, the Librarian 1 position is given a one-step higher that is from salary grade 10 to salary grade 11 but all other librarian positions were not given the same opportunity. Why? What is the reason behind this? Why only the librarian I position is given such opportunity? Unlike the Faculty in State Colleges and Universities that their credentials are being evaluated every 3 years in their NBC 461 and being ranked according to their accomplishments/achievements.  Same also with the Elementary and Secondary School Teachers that they have the PAST (Performance Appraisal for School Teachers).   Hope that the BFL can look into the sentiments of the librarians.  If we cannot be like the Faculty that they are evaluated and are ranked/promoted according to their achievements,at least all librarian positions in the government shall be given more steps higher, not only 1 but 5 or 10 steps higher. Say, if you are holding a salary grade 10, will become salary grade 15 or 20, because our work is very complex.  We do administrative/managerial, teaching functions,clerical, technical, and some are even doing janitorial works in a day's setting in the library
plus the accountabilities that we have.  And if we cannot be given more steps higher, then, we can be promoted like the Faculty based on our qualifications and achievements.  Hope these sentiments shall be given attention by the proper authorities.

Jan 22, 2010, 4:37:52 AM1/22/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
FYI......just wanted to share my thoughts....I've been in the library for over 25 years and I would say that I have reached my stars in the field though I am not a licensed librarian. I was in the position prior to RA 6966 and the CSC acknowledge my position status though I can not be promoted for a higher post due to lack of qualification requirements due to librarians professionalization.

On the other hand, I just keep going armed with my very excellent work ethics and passion to my work, I share the same sentiments with licensed librarians but sad to say not all licensed librarians understand their functions in this consumer driven world of librarianship.
Piece of advise, do not fret much on this issue, I guess, you still have to show your worth/value in the  field..then...I am sure, you can debate more about this profession...

Mabuhay friends

--- On Thu, 21/1/10, Paulina Baba <polayn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Hurry before someone else does!

shand...@yahoo.com

Jan 22, 2010, 8:48:50 AM1/22/10
to Paulina Baba

Hello Paulina Baba,

I've received your message entitled "[FilipinoLibrarians] LIBRARIANS' SENTIMENTS". I wanted to let you know that you're on my Priority Guest List

Boxbe helps me manage my email by prioritizing messages from people I know. You'd be amazed at how much better my inbox is now.

This is the only email you will receive about Boxbe from me and there is no need to respond.

Learn more about Boxbe.

Thank you,
shand...@yahoo.com

About this Notice
This courtesy notice is part of a free service to make email more reliable and useful. Boxbe (www.boxbe.com) uses your existing social network and that of your friends to keep your inbox clean and make sure you receive email from people who matter to you.

Boxbe
Say Goodbye to Email Overload
www.boxbe.com

Myrna C. Halim

Jan 22, 2010, 4:15:20 AM1/22/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com, lib...@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph, cbalib...@yahoo.com, lib...@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph, lib-...@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
Quoting "ma. teresa marquez" <marque...@yahoo.com>:

Yes Madam Marquez, the issue is the treatment of librarians, not the
performance. If we are not worth the claim, then its surely a big blow on our
face. You are more blest given the opportunity to occupy a librarians position
despite the absence of a license. What we contest is not your position and
worth, its how we are treated! We stayed on the job with worth to claim. My
reaching the ceiling of step 8 was due to my performance ratings, thus, I can
claim I am worth in terms of the practice of librarianship. I have organized
libraries even without pay.

Thank you for your comments. Please remember, "A Licensed Librarian can contest
one who is holding the Position with out License based on RA 9642. CSC is very
much concern of the RA 1080. The reason why Librarians who are not licensed
(and did not exert effort to obtain license), on the job are still there despite
the implementation of the law is to give them the chance and ample time to
develop themselves toward achieving the profession and adhere to the law. What
we are for is the burden of accountability, the no teeth of RA 9642, allowing
non-licensed one to practice the profession, and the equal treatment amongst us
with faculty because we also have the same educational qualification as they are
and we funtion as librarian, researchers, and teachers.

Amen.

> FYI......just wanted to share my thoughts....I've been in the library for
> over 25 years and I would say that I have reached my stars in the field
> though I am not a licensed librarian. I was in the position prior to RA 6966
> and the CSC acknowledge my position status though I can not be promoted for a
> higher post due to lack of qualification requirements due to librarians
> professionalization.
> �
> On the other hand, I just keep going armed with my very excellent work ethics
> and passion to my work, I share the same sentiments with licensed librarians
> but sad to say not all licensed librarians understand their functions in this
> consumer driven world of librarianship.
> Piece of advise, do not fret much on this issue, I guess, you still have to
> show your worth/value in�the �field..then...I am sure, you can debate more
> about this profession...
> �
> Mabuhay friends
>

> shall be given attention by the proper authorities.�

> filipinolibrari...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/filipinolibrarians?hl=en.
>

> Try the new FASTER Yahoo! Mail.. Experience it today!
> --
>

> Get your preferred Email name!
> Now you can @ymail.com and @rocketmail.com.
> http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/aa/

Trisha Plaga

Jan 22, 2010, 1:13:41 AM1/22/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
I sympathize with you Ms. Mryna. Because in my case, I was a head librarian for more than 10 years. Apparently, when our immediate head was replaced by non-academician, he appointed an English teacher to head of the library. My title was change to just librarian. Although, the English teacher, was so dynamic and open to suggestion and we had a lot of accomplishments during his term still, we cannot deny the fact that this guy has business in handling the library. What disappoint me more was that after three years, this English teacher was replaced by another English teacher but with license. He was assigned to the libary because he was nowhere to go. He cannot teach any subject because of the license issue. Not only that, this new fake head librarian is so "masungit" the typhical stereotype librarian in the renaissance period.
I was so disappointed and a big insult to the profession. I already reported this matter to the BFL. I already talked to the Chairman. She promised to look into the porblem. I am hoping that this will not be burried in the other concerns they are looking into. That is why fellow librarians, we need to make "kalampag" the department implementing the law to do thier job. We have to be vigilant so that we librarians will not be taken for granted.

sherry salinel

Jan 22, 2010, 9:41:56 AM1/22/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
i agree. lots of people often complain and say something about other's qualification... yes maybe its really in the law. It is important. but isn't it also important to see how people assigned in the library to prove his/her worth? I am a librarian. registered and am in a good position in the library i am working, but then, i have worked with librarians with license, non license and not qualified. But for me, license is important but work responsibility and how you perform it is more important and that's one of my qualification in hiring. documents are needed in the accreditation or audits but in every day work, output and performance is the result of the eagerness to improve in the profession. thank you.

Try the new FASTER Yahoo! Mail.. Experience it today!

Dulagan Cynthia

Jan 23, 2010, 3:29:44 AM1/23/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com

Health discussion po ito - I think the issue here is not how the librarians excel in their field of expertise pero depende sa mga librarians and non-licensed librarians how they can improve their work, but law enforcement.

From: ma. teresa marquez <marque...@yahoo.com>

ma. teresa marquez

Jan 24, 2010, 8:08:37 PM1/24/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com

Hi to everyone,

 I am just presenting a real situation, I mentioned CSC because they acted rightfully in the implementation of the law (even prior to amending RA 6966). Our case was presented in the CSC (early 90's) and decision came out on two categories. In our locality, there are only 4 identified librarians who can continue but can't be promoted not unless to satisfy the requirements of the law. Since then, our university, only hired licensed librarians...and that's the product of the BFL/CSC/PRC regulating the profession. Only, mabagal po ang process, perhaps due to limited numbers of licensed librarians and big market as it should be.

Now, just wanted to know if you're still aware that there was an era that anybody can be accepted in the library world as long as you meet the requirements of 9 units of library science and 1st grade eligibility..well before po, walang gusto maglibrarian and we should also consider this scenario kaya meron pa mga unlicensed librarians on the field. I guess, licensed and non licensed should work hand in hand to make this work and the regulating body to safeguard the implementation of the law.

Just to end, we should focus more on encouraging qualified young men and women to join the field as I look forward that all libraries will be manned by real qualified ones..ok po ba

Saranghameda!
--- On Sat, 23/1/10, Dulagan Cynthia <cdul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

New Email names for you!

Paulina Baba

Jan 25, 2010, 6:37:14 AM1/25/10
to FilipinoL...@googlegroups.com

Jan 25, 2010, 7:47:37 AM1/25/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
hello...are there licensed librarians who do not understand their functions?wala naman siguro..i guess all librarians especially those who understand this profession  are very eager to work heartily and dedicatedly because they are lib sci degree holder, licensed and some are undergoing advanced studies in the field pa...mahiya naman tayo maging tamad sa work natin or maging inefficient and ineffective that we are receiving our salary di ba and we are expected to do quality outputs because we are qualified and competent?though may mga reklamo tayo na worth naman na pagtuunan ng pansin sa mga proper authorities....anyways all of us will enjoy these things if heard....huwag naman tayo maging plastic...i for one, am very willing to work 24 hours kahit di nirequest ng aming adminsitration...if it's for the good of the agency...lalong lalo na during accreditation time...secondly, I really love my job and I enjoy doing my work....hindi issue dito na may mga licensed librarians na di marunong sa kanilang functions or they do not understand their functions...naging licensed na nga and yet they don't understand? 4 years na pinag aralan, ilang buwang nag review ng licensure exams na kasali dun ang professional ethics of librarians...kahiya naman kung maging iresponsable pa tayo sa work natin...aside we are being evaluated by our customers sa ating performance..kaya para sa akin lahat tayo mga responsible sa ating trabaho....ang issue lang talaga dito ay  dapat wala na ung malpractice of the profession and dapat ireview ung salary standards ng mga librarians based on our educational achievements hindi na status quo nalang tayo where other positions like the faculty ay may screening and evaluation sila for promotion...anyway pra naman to sa kapakanan nating lahat na qualified in this profession eh...hope may action ang proper authorities dito...yun lang po....

Jan 25, 2010, 12:17:14 AM1/25/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
Hello there!

This is my response to your latest post... I remain in the position of encouraging all librarians to take and pass the licensure examination for librarians.... to ensure our professionalization and promotion if ever there is a chance and at the same time avoid malpractice in the profession.... Anyway, the bottom line of this thread is the issue of malpractice and professionalization. I hope we can all reach the stars of success, commitment and recognition as librarians.... Thanks and  GBU!

Jan 25, 2010, 6:41:40 AM1/25/10
to FilipinoL...@googlegroups.com

Hello there.....I remain in the position of encouraging all librarians to take and pass the licensure examination for librarians.... to ensure our professionalization and promotion if ever there is a chance and at the same time avoid malpractice in the profession.... Anyway, the bottom line of this thread is the issue of malpractice and professionalization. I hope we can all reach the stars of success, commitment and recognition as librarians.... Thanks and  GBU!

Jan 25, 2010, 10:34:01 PM1/25/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
I understand and I agree of how we need to say our piece to be heard regarding mapractice of our profession. But what I am asking is about sa mga librarians na tama nakatpos ng library science pero for how tries di makapasapasa... how about them? I understand the sentiments of librarians and in anyways i am one with you but i am just asking is those graduated in LIS courses but not yet registered included in this? matagal na sa serbisyo pero di pa rin makapasa? They are good in the profession, responsible in their job, minus the license? How will it be for them?

Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 8:47:37 PM

Dulagan Cynthia

Jan 25, 2010, 8:43:33 PM1/25/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com

Dear Ma'am Paulina,

Praissed be Jesus Christ, now and forever!

I would like to thank you for clarifying the issue of RA 6966 in the field of librarianship. May God continue to bless you in all your undertakings.

[...]

Fe Alavanza

Jan 25, 2010, 9:31:12 PM1/25/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
Yes Mam Paulin. Tama ang lahat ng mga statements and opinions mo.I agree with you. It is respectfully prayed for na sana maliwanag ito sa lahat lalo na sa mga concerned authorities and proper action is recommended to give justice sa profession.

Lourdes David

Jan 27, 2010, 12:13:47 AM1/27/10
to filipinol...@googlegroups.com
Forward this to the Board, specifically Cora Nera