Rap Dictionary (2/3)

MarS

Mar 11, 2002, 9:25:52 AM3/11/02

fade
1) (n) The hairdo (see high top fade).
2) (v) Means to not listen to, erase, or get rid of (kill). Has
mutated
into various other meanings as well as has most other hiphop
lingo. It
(the phrase) started from actually pulling down the fader on a
mixer,
which of course, results in not listening to whomever was on at
the time.
So Ice Cube wants you to listen to him always and not fade him or
turn him
off... "You can't fade me" -- Ice Cube (You can't fade me).
3) (n) Term from from the dice-game craps, related to losing. The
player
rolling the dice must have someone to fade them (i.e. to put up
money
against the money they are gambling). If you are faded, you have
lost.
fag
(n) Homosexual man, short for faggot. "...and I thought it was a
gag, when
I thought it was a girl, it was nothing but a fag" -- Schoolly D.
(Saturday night).
fag hag
(n) Woman who only seeks homosexual people for friends. "...who
used to be
a fag hag" -- Grandmaster Flash (The Message [??]).
fake jacks
(v) To front, to fake moves. "Cuz the brothers that fake jacks get
laid on
they backs" -- Mobb Deep (??? [??]).
Farmers Boulevard
(n) Street in the New York City borough of Queens. Home of L.L.
Cool J.
"Farmers Boulevard, that's where the crib's at, that's where me
and E.
hang out." -- L.L. Cool J. (???)
federal
1) (adj) Refering to the federal government. "The reasons are
several,
most of the federal" -- Public Enemy (Black steel in the hour of
chaos
[1988]).
2) (adj) Something of exceptional quality or of an extreme nature.
Used
throughout E-40 tapes, probably Bay Area in origin.
3) (adj) Going federal: rising up in the game.
Felt Forum
(n) New York boxing arena, many prominent New York City boxers
have boxed
there.
fiend
(v) To be hostile to. 2) (v) To need something badly, most often
drugs.
But you can also be a fiend for a dope beat.
figga
(n) Figure.
Fillmore
(n) San Francisco district.
finger on the trigger
1) (n) Someone with the ~: someone prepared to shoot if necessary.
"I got
my hand in my pocket and my finger's on the trigger" -- Beastie
Boys
(Posse in effect [1986]).
2) (n) In a state of readiness, prepared.
3) (n) In a position of power or authority.
fix
(n) Heroin.
flamboasting
(v) To show off in a manner of actually flashing material items in
the
faces of other individuals.
flava
1) (n) Flavour
2) (n) Flavor Flav, Chuck D's right hand man in Public Enemy.
Flavavision
(n) The glasses of PE's Flavor. "Don't worry, Flavavision ain't
blurry" --
Public Enemy (Don't believe the hype).
flay
(v) "Flay on the mix", serious old school mixing and scratching.
flex
1) (v) To show one's mettle, flexing one's muscles, showing one's
arsenal
and readiness to put it to use, letting one's pugilistic prowess
be known.
To strike someone, or to get up in someones face for intimidation.
"I use
my nine when suckas start to flex" -- Ice Cube (Man's best friend
[1991]).
2) (v) Scratching, from flexing of the wrist. Rakim used to talk
about
Eric B being on the flex.
3) (v) To have sexual intercourse.
floss
1) (v) Move in and out of something. "Floss the NSX" -- DJ Quick
(Dollars
and sense).
2) (v) To show off.
flow
1) (n) Money.
2) (v) To rhyme continuously in the same rhyme scheme without
stopping.
fly
(adj) Attractive, beautiful. "Put on the Bally shoes and the fly
green
socks" -- Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh (Ladidadi).
Forty Deuce
(n) 42nd street, Manhattan, the Times Square area.
forty dog
(n) 40 ounce bottle of Olde English 800 malt liquor. "Forty dog,
one love"
-- Nas (One love [1994]).
four
(n) See '64.
freak
1) (v) Dance in a provocative way.
2) (v) Have sex.
3) (n) Person who practices the above things; sexually aggressive
female
(never missing a beat).
4) (v) To take out the filter paper from a Black & Mild
pipe-tobacco
cigar. "I'm going to freak this Mild"
free world
(n) Free from incarceration; the world outside of prison. "I
really miss
my free world" -- Convicts (??? [1991]).
freestyle
(v) Freestyling is when an MC flows with lyrics right of the top
of his or
her head. It is inpromptu and spontaneous and only the most
creative
rhymers can do it well. It is also a kind of competition between
MC's
because you have to be good to bust a good freestyle. It helps to
keep MCs
on their toes too, because its is like practice. "We gonna do a
little
freestyle for y'all, and it go like this" -- Schoolly D. (Cuttin'
and
scratchin' [??]).
fresh
1) (adj) New
2) (adj) Very good.
Frisco
(n) San Francisco. Home of JT the bigga figga.
front
(v) Pretend to be that which you are not; act tough. "You can't
front on
that" -- Beastie Boys (So what'cha want [1992]).
fu-shnicken
(n) A variety of fried chicken often cooked op in and around the
area of
Jackson Mississippi. Also known as "Rico".
fuck
(n) (n,v) This is the most powerful word in the American English
language.
It can be the very best or the very worst. You might enjoy getting
your
brains fucked out, but then again you might not.
funk
1) (adj) Malodorous.
2) (n) The essence of being, as in faking the funk.
funky drummer
(n) Famous drumtrack by Clyde Stubblefield, James Brown's drummer.
Often
used in hiphop.
furilla
(adj) Contraction of the phrase "for real"; something known to be
true.
"On the furilla, my nigga, just call me Scarface" -- Geto Boys
(Scarface
[1989]).

1) (n) Anything that starts with a G. E.g. God, Gangsta, Girl,
Guy. As in
"Whatup, G?".
2) (v) To have sexual intercourse. E.g. Sir Mix-a-Lot's self
titled EP has
a song called "Let's G".
3) (n) Money, from Grands or thousands, for example a hundred G's
equals
$100,000. "I clock G's while you clock Z's" - EPMD (??? [??]).
G'd up
(adv) Dressed to kill, like a bawla.
G-funk
(n) Gangsta funk. Examples: Snoop Doggy Dogg, Warren G & Nate Dog.
gaffle
(n) To harass. Especially being "gaffled" by the police.
gaffled
(adj) Past tense of "to gaffle". The state of being messed up; a
misfortunate condition.
game
1) (v) Wooing. "Cause I'm gamin' on a female that's gamin' on me"
--
N.W.A. (I ain't the one [1988]).
2) (v) In the game, whatever the game might be. A game is some way
to make
money or advance oneself, or just a game.
3) (adv) To be game, do be down with.
gang
(n) Group of organised criminals. The main gangs in Northern
California
are (in random order): 1. Bloods 2. Norte 3. Surenos 4. Crips
gangbang
1) (v) To commit crimes in a gang.
2) (v) To to have sex in groups.
gangsta
1) (n) A gangster or criminal.
2) (adj) In the way of a gangster.
3) (adj) A style of rap that evolved in South Central, Los
Angeles.
gangsta lean
1) (n) The way a person drives where they lean over to the
passenger seat
and get really low. "Digging the scene with a gangsta lean" --
N.W.A.
(Gangsta, gangsta [1988]).
2) (n) The heaven where gangsters end up, when a homie dies, you
pour out
a little liquor or lean the bottle over to spill liquor. "This is
for my
homies kickin' it in the Gangsta Lean" -- DRS (Gangsta Lean
[1992]).
ganja
(n) See marijuana. "Ganja business controls America" -- Boogie
Down
Productions (Illegal Business [??]).
gank
(v) Same as skank, ie. to hurt, steal from, or diss in some way.
"I guess
that's what I get, for trying to gank the little homies for their
grip" --
Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy [1992]).
gasface
1) (n) To show someone a sign of disrespect.
2) (n) Make stupid face towards someone you don't like. "The same
people
that got gasfaced last year" -- 3rd Bass (No master plan, no
master race
[1991])
gatt
1) (n) Refers to any gun. It originates from Gattling, the name of
the man
who invented the machine gun (the Gattling gun). 2)
2) (n) Hip-Hop Clothing Co.
gauge
(n) A shotgun. "Hopped in his caddy, loaded his 12 gauge" --
Schoolly D
(Signifying rapper [??]).
George Clinton
(n) One of the most sampled men alive, creator of the P-Funk.
get burned
(v) To catch a sexually transmitted disease. Specifically refers
to the
burning sensation caused by gonorrhoea when urinating. "Stay in
the
microwave too long you'll get burned" -- Kool Moe Dee (Go see the
doctor
[??]).
get busy
1) (v) Have sex.
2) (v) eat "Ya mama is so big and fat that she can get busy with
22
burritoes, but times are rough, I seen her in the back'a taco bell
with
handcuffs" -- Pharcyde (Ya Mama)
get/give head/skull
(v) Receive/give fellatio.
get/give props
(v) See props.
ghetto bird
(n) Police helicopter. "Motherfuck you and your punk ass ghetto
bird." --
Ice Cube (Ghetto Bird [1993]).
ghetto sled
(n) car, usually American made, that generally sports a rusted
body
covered with house paint. Synonym of hooptie.
ghost
(n) Out of here: "I'm ghost".
Glock
(n) Austrian manufacturer of handguns. People usually mean the 9mm
glock,
which can hold up to 20 rounds, plus one in the chamber. With an
extended
clip they can hold up to 33 rounds. Most of the Glock is made of
steel,
but it is wrapped in a plastic cover, giving the gun a futuristic
feel to
it.
Gore-tex
(n) Material made into jackets and other clothing. Also made into
high
durability boots. "Bow to the group in the boots" -- Sir Mix-a-lot
(Gortex
[1989]).
government cheese
(n) On welfare.
grill
1) (n) "Guard your grill": protect yourself, grill" stands for
your teeth,
protect your face from getting punched. "I got the skill, I'll
bust ya in
the grill" -- House of Pain (Shamrocks and Shenanigans [??]).
2) (n) Front of a car.
grip
1) (n) Ability on the microphone.
2) (n) Gun.
3) (n) Money. "I guess that's what I get, for trying to gank the
little
homies for their grip" -- Dr. Dre (Lil' ghetto boy [??]).
GT
(n) Ford Mustang GT, also known as the "five-point-oh" for it's
5.0L V-8.
GTA
(n) Grand theft auto, legalese for stealing a car. "It's all about
makin'
that GTA" -- Eazy-E (Boyz in the hood [1989]).

H-Town
(n) Houston, home of The 5th Ward.
hard
1) (adv) Tough. "Cause I'm too hard to lift" -- Dr. Dre (Let me
ride
[??]).
2) (adv) Erected. "Ya dicks on hard" -- Dr. Dre (In your own dogs
[??]).
hardcore
(adj) True to what you claim.
hawk
1) (v) To look at something.
2) (v) To stare down someone.
3) (n) The wind, especially when it is blowing hard.
head
(n) Someone who earned respect.
hella
(adv) A hell of a lot. "I got hella scrilla" -- ??? (??? [??]).
Hennessey
(n) Brand of Cognac. "Take this Hennessey!" NAS -- (The Genesis
[1994]).
herbalz
1) (n) Marijuana, comes from herbs. "Herbalz in my mouth" -- 3rd
Bass
(Herbalz in my mouth [1991]).
2) (n) Semen (mentioned in an interview once by 3rd Bass).
high top fade
(n) Haircut high on the top, fading down to close cut on the sides
"Livin'
in fear of my shade or my high top fade" -- Public Enemy (???
[??]).
high-five
(n) Greeting where you slap hands together in the air, as opposed
low-five, where you slap hands at waist height.
highside
(v) To ignore or disrespect someone by not acknowledging their
presence.
"Bitches get mad cause we highside" -- Big Mike (Smoke 'em and &
choke 'em
[??]).
hip-hop
(n) In Jamaican ska era, 60's, a DJ would spin and cut the wax and
a MC
would sing or shout or dub poetry over it. That's the roots of
hiphop
which were brought to New York City by Kool DJ Herc, but hip-hop
or rap
was created in New York City.
ho
1) (n) Hooker, prostitute, from the Southern pronounciation of the
word
whore. "She ain't nothing but another ho, according to the system"
--
KRS-One (Exhibit D. [1990]).
2) (v) To sell out.
ho cake
(n) Vagina.
hold the fort down
(v) To represent where you are from. "If so hold the fort down and
represent to the fullest" -- Nas (One Love [1994]).
hole
1) (n) Vagina.
2) (n) Gun chamber. "16 in the clip and one in the hole" -- Nate
Dogg
(Regulate [??]).
holler
(v) To shout.
holly
(n) See ho.
homeboy
(n) Close friend.
homegirl
(n) Female equivalent of homeboy. "Homegirls, see a guy you like?
Just
grab him in the biscuits... and doowutchalike" -- Digital
Underground
(Doowutchalike [??]).
homeskillet
(n) A close relative or friend. "My homeskillet gets me the goods
whenever
I want" -- ?? (?? [??]).
homey
(n) See homeboy. "But I wish he could have said it to my dead
homey" --
Ice Cube (Dead Homiez [1990]).
honey
(n) Female, generally attractive.
Honey Dip
(n) pretty young ladies with golden brown complexions.
hood
(n) The neighbourhood, usually a poor community.
hoodie
(n) T-shirt or sweatshirt with hood attached to it.
hoodlum
(n) A criminal; drugdealer, car thief, stick up kid. "Hoodlums and
hustlers and bangers with Jheri-curls" -- Ice T. (Lifestyles of
the rich
and infamous [1991])
hoodrat
(n) female, generally sexually promiscuous, and not upwardly
mobile
"Homies in the hood labeled her as a hoodrat" -- Domino (Ghetto
jam
[1993])
hook
(n) A hook, used in load of songs, is an aspect of popular or
commercial
music that "grabs" people and makes it easy to like like or
remember the
song. For example, the riff from "Son of a Preacher Man" used in
Cypress
Hill's "Hits from the Bong" [1993] is an example of a hook. "Check
out the
hook while I drop crazy rhymes" -- ??? (???).
hooptie
(n) Old car in bad shape.
hooptie ride
(n) To do a driveby murder.
hoota
(n) Blunt. "It's a hoota of the Buddah blessed"
hop on the side
(v) To get on the passenger side of a car.
hops
(n) Vertical jump, usually related to basketball. "He's got mad
hops" --
??? (??? [??]).
hottie
(n) A very attractive female. "This hottie got a body and I wanna
get
naughty" -- Sir Mixalot (Sprung on the Cat [1992]).
housenigger
(n) Person who blindly follows simple-minded people, the term was
used by
Malcolm X. In slavery days, you had house slaves and field slaves.
The
house slaves were "well behaved" and were "rewarded" by being
allowed to
work in the "big house" close to the master. The field slaves were
"rough"
and only suited for field work. Thus the people were divided and
pitted
against themselves, instead of the common enemy.
HP
(n) Hunter's Point, a San Francisco district.
Huey P. Newton
(n) Founder of the Black Panther movement along with H. R. Brown
and Bobby
Seale. Mentioned in a few PE songs.
humming
(v) Coming at someone.
hydro
(n) Hydroponic marijuana, which is due to an agricultural
technique of
cultivation in the production of cannabis, a more potent product.
"Hydro,
me just can't let me, high go " - Bone Thugs 'n Harmony (Buddah
lovas
[1995]).
hype
1) (n) Statements made about something before that thing comes
out,
especially wild statements guessing about the things nature
(whether
positive or negative). For example, record companies will often
put many
advertisements out before a record comes out. Before Public
Enemy's album
came out there was much negative hype in the media. "Yo Harry!
You're a
writer; are we that type? Don't believe the hype..." -- Public
Enemy
(Don't believe the hype).
2) (adj) Cool. "Too damn hype" -- Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
(???
[1988]).

IBWC
(n) The Intelligent Black Womens Coalition, a group that Yo-Yo is
a member
of.
ice
1) (n) Diamonds or jewelry with diamonds in it. "Hands smothered
in ice."
-- Ice-T (Bitches 2 [1991]).
2) (n) On ice - at the morgue.
3) (n) Ice or ice cream: drugs, or cocaine in particular.
ill
1) (v) To be obnoxious, or to act weird, as in eating dogfood.
"You be
illin'" -- RUN-DMC (You be illin' [1986]).
2) (adj) Negative.
3) (adj) Positive. "Most illinest b-boys" -- Beastie Boys (Rhymin'
and
stealing [??]).
Illtown
(n) East-orange, NJ. Home of Naughty By Nature, Queen Latifah.
Impala
(n) Type of popular low-cost car made by Chevrolet in the
seventies. The
car is popular with low riders, especially the 1964 model. '63,
'62 and
'65 models are also sometimes used. Ice Cube's car in "Boyz 'n the
hood"
was an Impala. "Knew her from the back of my homeys Impala" -- Ice
Cube
(You can't fade me [1990]).
in check
1) (n) Under control by someone else. Probably from a game of
chess.
2) (adv) Under control, due to skills. "I got you all in check" --
Busta
Rhymes (Woo Hah! [1996]).
in foe deep
(n) A term used to refer to a car that contains four people at
once. "In
foe deep we creep" -- RBL Posse (Don't give me no bammer [??]).
in the house
(n) Present, here. "Compton's in tha house" -- N.W.A. (Compton's
in tha
house [1990])
in [full] effect
(adv) Present and taking place.
Indo
(n) Marijuana from Indonesia. "Indo smoke up in your lungs like
that" --
Dr. Dre (Rat-tat-tat-tat [1992]).

jack
1) (v) To rob someone face to face. "Lets see who the fuck I'ma
jack
today" -- Ice Cube (Robin hood [??]).
2) (n) Nothing, "I ain't got jack to give you".
jack roll
(v) To rob the helpless.
jacker
(n) Short for carjacker.
jailbait
(n) Anybody who is at least five years younger than you are. The
word is
from old taxi drivers who date young high school girls and when
high
school guys go out with junior high school students.
Jakes
(n) The police.
jam
1) (n) song, cut, track. "This is the dope Jam!" -- Public Enemy
(Night
the living baseheads [1989]).
2) (n) The sweet stuff - like honey.
3) (n) Slam dunk in basketball.
4) (n) To lock up, like when a bullet gets caught up in the
chamber of a
gun the gun jams.
James Brown
(n) One of the funkiest and most sampled men alive.
jammy
1) (n) Penis. "All the fly ladies are on my jammy" -- Beastie Boys
(The
new style [1986]).
2) (n) Gun. "Pulled out the jammy aimed it at the sky" -- Beastie
Boys
(Paul Revere [1986]).
janky
1) (adj) Bad, flawed (northern California)
2) (adj) Good, smooth (souther California). "Dub C, nigga, still
janky as
fuck!" -- W.C. and the Maad Circle (Intro [1995]).
jawn
1) (n) Another word for joint, a marijuana cigarette. "Back in
Philly,
they call me da jawn" -- Bahamadia (Total Wreck [??]).
2) (n) Any type of thing, as in "Yo, check this jawn out".
jenny
(n) Vagina.
jet
(v) To leave in a hurry.
Jheri-curls
(n) Wetlook, curly hairstyle. "Hoodlums and hustlers and bangers
with
Jheri-curls" -- Ice T. (Lifestyles of the rich and infamous
[1991])
jiggy
(n) To have a lot of money or riches. "DKNY, oh my I'm jiggy" --
Junior
M.A.F.I.A. (Player's Anthem [1995]).
jimbrowsky
(n) See Jimmy.
Jimmy
(n) Penis. "Never sleep alone because Jimmy is a magnet" --
Beastie Boys
(3 Minute rule [1989]).
Jimmy hat/cap
(n) Condom.
jock
1) (n) Crotch. Being on someone's jock means trying to get
involved with
someone for his money or his status etc. The best definition can
be found
on Ice Cube's "Kill at will" in the full version of the song "Get
off my
dick and tell yo bitch to come here".
2) (v) To sweat someone.
jone
(v) To taunt or to make fun, see snap.
Jones
(n) A craving for something. It is said to come from Jones Alley
in
Manhattan where junkies used to live. E.g.: "Baseball Jones":
needing
baseball, "love Jones": a dire craving for someone, "Jonesing for
some
MJ": wanting some marijuana. I got a love Jones for your body and
skin
tone" -- Method Man & Mary J. Blidge (You are all I need [1994]).
JPT
(n) Japanese People Time; being early or on time.
juice
1) (n) Having hydraulics.
2) (v) To squeeze the juice out of something. "You can't juice Ice
Cube,
girl" -- N.W.A. (I ain't the one [1988]).
3) (n) "To have juice means you kiss and lick a lot of booty" --
KRS-One
(Blackman in effect [1990]).
4) (n) Respect, e.g. the movie "Juice".
5) (n) Alcohol, as in "being juiced up" or get juice for the
party".
6) (n) Willpower.

Kakalaka
(n) North Carolina "New York, North Kakalaka and Compton." -- A
Tribe
Called Quest (Scenario [??]).
kangol
(n) A brand of hat. LL Cool J used to wear this along with other
east
coast rappers. It has a kangaroo on the side, but brothers wore
them with
the 'roo in front. "Went back in, I forgot my Kangol" -- Slick
Rick and
Doug E. Fresh (Ladidadi).
Kani
(n) Short for "Karl Kani," which is a clothes label popular in the
hood.
KDAY
(n) Radio station that broadcasted from Crenshaw in South Central
LA, and
was devoted to local underground Hip Hop. The musical director of
KDAY was
Greg Mack, and he single handedly turned NWA from an unknown group
superstars. It signed Dr. Dre and DJ Yella in 1983 to broadcast
their own
Mix Show, as the Wreckin' Crew. "It (KDAY) was percieved as a Rap
station
cause we played rap no one else would" (Greg Mack, as interviewed
by Brian
Cross in the book "It's not about a salarie"). KDAY was sold in
1990, and
was turned into a business network. The defunct radio station
symbolizes
to a lot of rappers coming out of LA area the shutting down of
black voice
in America. "This is K-Eazy E, wassup y'all this is Greg Mack,
Mack
Attack" -- Eazy-E (Radio [1988]).
key
(n) Kilo, often used in conjuction with cocaine. "Dope, like a
pound or a
key" -- N.W.A. (Tell 'em what your name is [1988]).
khakis
(n) Hip-hop clothing, brown/tan colored pants. "Wearin ghackis,
mob while
ya ryhme, little fag tried to sag" -- Eazy-E (Real Motherphuckkin'
G's
[1993]).
kicks
(n) See sneakers.
kill
1) (n) See marijuana. "Crack another 40, smoke some kill" --
Schoolly D.
(Smoke some kill).
2) (n) To be dope on the microphone.
knocka
(n) A pest. "Leave Flavor Flav alone, knocka" -- Public Enemy
(Cold
lampin' with Flavor [1988]).
knocking boots
(v) To have sexual intercourse. The knock refers to the man's hips
hitting
the woman's ass, which produces a slapping sound. The motion
litterally
knocks her boots (buttocks). "Bring your friend, I likes you two's
I'll
knock the boots, the sneakers and the house shoes." -- Digital
Underground
(Flowing on the D-line [??]).
knuckle up
(v) Prepare to fight, by closing and raising ones fists.
[kitty] cat
(n) Vagina.

'lac
(n) Short for Cadillac. "Macks drive 'lacs" -- Big Mello [1993].
L-train
1) (n) The late train. "I'm on the L train going insane" -- The
Roots
(Silent treatment).
2) (n) Elevated trains in Chicago or NYC.
LA
(n) Los Angeles. In particular the phrase "LA 1992" indicates the
riots
that broke out after the Rodney King trial.
Laketown
(n) Salt Lake City, Utah.
lamp
1) (v) To hang out next to a streetlamp. "I'm on the street, cold
lampin'"
-- Public Enemy (Cold lampin' with Flavor).
2) (v) To relax while others panic.
Land of Dope
(n) Oakland.
Land of the Heartless
(n) Cleveland, Ohio.
lay pipe
(v) Having sexual intercourse. "Cause a nigga like me'll lay
plenty of
pipe" -- Ice Cube (I'm only out for one thang).
LBC
(n) Phonebook abbreviation for Long Beach city, California. Home
of 21 &
Lewis. "With so much drama in the LBC" -- Snoop Doggy Dogg (Gin
and
Juice).
leather Tuscadero
(n) Female equivalent of The Fonz that appeared on Happy Days.
"Now he's
zipped up like leather Tuscadero" -- Ice Cube (We had to tear this
motherfucker up [1992]).
leg pull
(n) From: to pull someones leg, to make a joke. No leg pulls means
no
jokes; speak the truth. "No leg pulls kid".
Lexus
(n) Japanese luxury car. "Drivin' a Lexus with a death wish" --
Nas (Watch
them niggas [1996]).
lime
1) (v) Hanging around with friends of family.
2) (n) A casual gathering of friends and family. "This lime has no
juice",
this gathering is dull.
lina
(n) A line of cocaine. From the spanish "una lina" which
translates to one
line.
live
(adv) Great. "Is it live?" -- L.L. Cool J (Is it live? [??]).
llello
(n) Cocaine, crack; it is a Spanish word, and the double l's are
pronounced as "y"'s. Used in the movie "Scarface" [1983]. The
bitch came
back with a bag of llello" -- Ice Cube (Once upon a time in the
projects
[1991]).
loc
1) (n) Term used for local person.
2) (n) Crazy one, from the Spanish "loco", often used for friends
or
locals in a positive way. "Don't you know I'm loco?" -- Cypress
(Insane in
the brain [1993]) Hill (Insane in the brain [1993])
3) (n) Lock or locks, as in Jheri-curls, but always pronounced
with the
long o as in "go".
4) (v) To "go loc" means to get ready for a drive-by or to shoot
someone.
This means putting on dark glasses, skullies, caps and generally
getting
hard to identify.
5) (n) To get high. "We was in the park gettin' loc-ed" -- ???
lock
(n) Short for dredlocks.
Long Beach
(n) City south of Compton. "Rollin' from the East Side south of
Compton,
see a big ass, and I say 'word', took a look at the face, and the
bitch
was to the curb!" -- N.W.A. (8 ball (remix) [1988])
Louies
(n) Louis Vuitton gear.
low low
(n) Lowrider car with adjusted suspension. "Hitting them corners
in them
low low', girl" - Dr. Dre (Still Dre [????])
lowriding
(v) Adjusting the suspension of a car to get it closer to the
ground.
Since it is illegal to drive that way, people have hydraulic
systems to
adjust the height of the car while driving, making it bounce.
LP
1) (n) Long Play, a nine or ten song regular tape.
2) (n) A vinyl record.
lunch
(v) To act stupid or crazy.

M3
(n) See beamer. M3 is a special edition model from the BMW
3-series range.
"purple M3s and jet skis" -- Nas (If I Ruled the World [1996]).
Mac 10
(n) The Ingram Mac-10 30 to 36-shot submachine pistol firing
standard 9mm
caliber (.38 in) bullets. The American version of the Israeli Uzi.
Most
"Tens" are actually smuggled Czech M-61s. "The Mac 10 is in the
grass and
I run like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin" -- Nas (???
[1994]).
mack
1) (n) Pimp.
2) (v) Being a pimp. "Mackin' is a game and everybody's playing
it" -- Ice
Cube (Who's the mack [1991])
3) (n) The Mack, an early 70's Blacksploitation film shot in
Oakland, CA.
4) (n) Ladies Man "I love the ladies and they love me right back,
now
who's the Mack" -- Ice T. (??? [??]).
5) (v) To steal.
6) (v) To have sex. "You know, I was all getting my macks on with
her"
mad
(adj) Extremely, very, a large quantity. "His jeep was pumpin' mad
bass"
-- ??? (???).
madhatter
(n) Someone who sells drugs.
mag
1) (n) Short for magazine, as in clip or ammo insert.
2) (n) Short for Magnum.
mail
(n) Money. Mo' mail than the rest of the pushers -- E-40 (???
[??]).
making ends
1) (v) Dominoes term, you win when you make ends. "So make all the
ends
you can make, cuz when you're broke you break" -- Dr. Dre (Lil'
ghetto boy
[1992])
2) (n) To make money. Think of the phrase "The ends justify the
means".
The ends may be taken to mean money.
Malcolm [Malcolm X]
(n) Malcolm X, civil rights activist leader, gunned down at the
age of 35
at the Audubon Ballroom on the north edge of Harlem in New York in
1965 as
he spoke to hundreds of followers. He represented the largely
urban North.
Member of Nation of Islam until 1964. Wrote many texts,
interviews, notes
and speeches from 1950-1963, of which some can be considered
racist.
Renounced these points of view in his last year.
marijuana
(n) Dried leaves and flowering tops of the pistillate hemp plant
that are
smoked in cigarettes for their intoxicating effect. Other reported
words
for it are: bammer, bionic, bomb, brown, bud, buddha, cannabis,
cheeba,
chronic, dank, doubage, ganja, grass, green, groove weed, hash,
herb,
home-grown, ill, Indo, iszm, Lebanon, Mary Jane (mj), maui wowy,
method,
pot, sess, shake, shit, skunk, stress, tabacci, Thai, wacky and
weed.
marinate
(v) To chill, hang out.
mark
1) (n) A sucker, a target for gaffling and crime. "You mark-ass
busta, you
betta raise up" -- Dr Dre (Dre [??].)
2) (n) Someone who is claiming a set (subset of a Crip or Blood
gang) to
which he does not belong.
max
(v) To have great fun.
MC
(n) Probably Jamaican, in which case it comes from the TV game
shows,
Master of Ceremonies (although the term existed before TV). It was
the
only person at a gathering that was allowed to use the microphone.
Could
also stand for Microphone Controller, Mic Checka. "The term, MC,
stand for
Master of Ceremonies" --- A Tribe Called Quest (Midnight Marauders
[1993]).
medina
1) (n) Said to be an aphrodisiac. "Funky col' medina" -- Tone Loc
(Funky
cold medina [1989])
2) (n) Nickname for Brooklyn.
3) (n) One of the three holy cities in Islam (n) One of the three
holy
cities in Islam
Medina
(n) Second most holy city of Islam; Nickname for Brooklyn.
megablast
(n) Large breath of crack. "Oh please, oh please, oh please, just
gimme
just one more blast" -- Public Enemy (Megablast).
meth, method
(n) See marijuana.
MF
1) (n) Short for motherfucker.
2) (n) Short for Mark Ferhman; the police officer who tried to set
up O.J.
Simpson by planting evidence on him.
MLK
(n) Martin Luther King, civil rights leader, shot april 4th, 1968.
He
represented the largely rural South.
money
(n) See brother, nigga.
Moneyearnin' Mount Vernon
(n) Shabazz, 4th ave, 3rd street. One of the worst corners in
Mount Vernon
- hood hang out, dealers, addicts. Home of Heavy D., Pete Rock and
CL
Smooth - 77 hillside straight up Columbus Hill make a left in
Mount
Vernon.
Moschino
(n) Clothing label. "Moschino on my misstres" -- Notorious B.I.G.
(???
[??]).
Mossberg
(n) Popular brand of twelge gauge shotgun, used by the police.
"And I
grabbed my 12 gauge Mossberg pump" -- Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (???
[??]).
motherfucker
1) (n) Respectless person with no attitude.
2) (n) Also used to express a form of respect for someone. "My
motherfuckin' nigga Afrika Islam" -- Ice-T (??? [??]).
move on
(v) To mess with. "You move on the Ice and you're going to sleep"
-- Ice T
(Ziplock).
MPC-60
(n) Akai MPC-60 sampling sequencer/drum machine, Akai's answer to
the
SP-12, popular especially in the early 90's. Most hip-hop
producers have a
machine of the MPC-series.
MPV
(n) The Multi Purpose Vehicle, favored by groups because of their
large
seating and cargo capacity. "Dedicated to MPV's, phat" -- Wu-Tang
Clan
(Can it be all so simple [??]).
MVP
(n) (1) Most Valuable Poet (on the mic), compare Most Valuable
Player in
team sports. As used by Big L in the song "MVP".

nappy dugout
(n) Vagina. The dugout is the dug-in bench at the side of a
baseball field
where players wait until they are up to play. Nappy comes from
hair
napping up, sort of the way it it on the way to dreading. The
nappy dugout
would be the dugout (small enclave a few steps off the main field)
that
has nappy hair (pubic hair). "Giving up the nappy dugout" -- Ice
Cube
(Giving up the nappy dugout [??]).
nappy head
(n) A head with dreading hair. "Keep your heads nappy" -- Fugees
(Nappy
Heads [1994]).
nathan
1) (adj) Nothing; nobody. "I ain't heard shit, I ain't heard
nathan" --
The Coup (Genocide & Juice [??]).
2) (n) "Nathan's" is a brand of hot dog.
3) (n) Natural born pimp.
Neighbourhood Family
(n) South Central Blood set associated with Cypress Hill.
Newark
(n) Brick City. Home of RedMan, LOTUG, Artifacts, Channel Live,
T-neck.
newjack
(adj) New. When referring to an idividual, implies that he hasn't
proven
himself. "He was a newjack hustler" -- Ice-T (Newjack hustler
[??]).
nickel
(n) Five, as in 1995. "Everybody get in where ya fit in for tha
nine five,
tha nine nickel" -- Method Man with Capleton (Wings of the morning
[??]).
nigga
(n) Curseword used originally by white people, taken over by black
people
as a name to show their proudness, and take off the edge;
positive: "my
nigga": my friend. I don't want to be called yo nigga" -- Public
Enemy (Yo
nigga [??]).
nina
1) (n) [neenyah] Spanish for girl of 5 years or less. Chica is a
teenage
girl.
2) (n) [neenah] 9mm. Mixture of correct Spanish pronounciation of
the i
and NYC or Southern dialect ponounciation of the final -er as -ah
of the
word "niner". Cuz if I got my nina then you know I'm straight
trippin'" --
Dr. Dre (The Chronic [1992]).
nino
(n) Spanish term for godfather, as in Nino Brown.From the movie
"The
Godfather". Also Nino Brown in New Jack City.
no diggety
(interj) No doubt, no question.
NOI
(n) Nation Of Islam. "Elijah is alive, Louis Farrakhan, NOI" --
Ice Cube
(Enemy [1993]).
Now Rule
(n) New Rochelle NY, a suburb of NYC, borders Mount Vernon. Origin
of
Grand Puba and Brand Nubian.
nucker
1) (n) A stupid person. Possible a combination of Numb
Skull/Fucker, or
maybe derived from knuckle head.
2) (n) Ones best friend. "You call your nigger 'nucker'" --
Digital
Underground (if it wasn't for the rapping [??]).
nutt
(n) Good sex. "Gimme that nutt" -- Eazy-E (It's on Dr. Dre 187 um
killa
[1993]).
nuttin'
(n) Nothing. "Nine times outta ten, she's givin' up nuttin'" --
N.W.A. (I
ain't tha one [1988])
Nyquil
(n) Cold medicine that basically puts you to sleep, so you won't
stay up
all night coughing. "Knock ya out like Nyquil" -- Ice Cube(?)

(n) An ounce of marijuana.
O'Malley
(n) An Irish name, pointing to the traditionally strong
represented Irish
in the LAPD. "Gonna put a slug in captain O'Malley" -- Cypress
Hill (We
ain't goin' out like that [1993]).
O-1-2
(n) The O stands for Oakland, the 1-2 for a left-right combination
punch.
"Up in Oakland you might get the O-1-2" -- Father Dom (??? [??]).
O-Town
(n) Orlando.
O.E.
(n) Short for Old English, a kind of malt liquor. "Coolin' on the
corner
with a bottle of O.E." -- Beastie Boys (Time to get ill [1986]).
O.G.
1) (n) Original gangster, which you become when you 'advertise' a
gang.
People should talk about you and link your name with the things
you done
in the past. This includes killings, driveby shootings, spending
time in
jail, and living up to your name. "O.G. Original Gangster" -- Ice
T.
(Original Gangster [1991]).
2) (adj) True; original.
3) (n) Someone who is true to the game, who never sold out.
O.J.
1) (n) Reference to a big car: erstwhile football star and
all-around
adman O.J. Simpson does Hertz commercials featuring Ford and
Lincoln
Mercury cars. Used on Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight.
2) (n) To pull an O.J. on someone: to set someone up, to plant
evidence.
O.P.P.
1) (n) Other people's pussy.
2) (n) Other people's penis.
3) (n) Other people's property.
Oaktown, the big O, the O
(n) Oakland, California. The Westside O and the Eastside O stand
for West
and East Oakland. Home of Too $hort and Luniz.
on swo
(adv) Increasing in size, often used in prisons to describe a
weight
lifter. "My bank roll's on swo" -- Snoop Doggy Dogg (??? [??]).
one love
(n) (interj.) Farewell bidding, like "peace".
one-time
(n) Police officer. Refered to as one-time as you have one time or
one
chance to get out of the situation alive. "One-time because it's
my life
on the line" -- Ice Cube (??? [??]).
oowop
(n) An uzi semi-automatic gun.
oreo
(n) Black person who wants to be white, or people of mixed race.
An oreo
is a type of cookie black on the outside with white cream filling
inside.
"A message to the oreo cookie" -- Ice Cube (Turn off the radio
[1990]).
Osdorp
(n) Amsterdam (the Netherlands) hood where the foundations of the
Dutch
underground, hardcore hiphop scene were laid. Rap artists such as
Jason,
West Klan and first and foremost The Osdorp Posse are from that
part of
Amsterdam.
other level
(n) A higher degree of consciousness satisfaction; beyond the
average.
"Grip it on that other level" -- Geto Boys (On that other level
[1992]).
ox piece
(n) Home-made type of gun that people make in the prisons. "I
heared you
blew a nigga with an ox for the phone piece" -- Nas (One love)

1) (n) Partner, friend.
2) (n) Pussy. "The P is free" -- BDP (The P is free) 3) (n) Posse.
P-Dog
(n) Paris. "P-Dog comin' up, I'm staying low" -- Paris (The devil
made me
do it).
P-funk
(n) Music of the George Clinton time period. Parliament Funkadelic
was a
group in that era and it included such artists as George Clinton
and
Bootsy Collins.
P-Town
(n) Paterson.
P.E.
(n) Public Enemy.
P.O.D.
1) (n) Paid on delivery.
2) (n) Passed over-dosed; a deceased person due to an drug
over-dose.
P.S.K.
(n) Park Side Killers, Philadelphia gang of which Schoolly D. used
to be a
member. "P.S.K., we're makin' that green" -- Schoolly D. (P.S.K.
(what
does it mean?)).
PA, PAT
(n) Port Arthur, Texas. Referred to throughout UGK and Point Blank
albums.

pad
(n) House, home, place where you live. "It's like that and its
like this I
took her to the pad and we started to kiss..." -- Eazy-E (Gimme
that nutt
[??]).
paddle
(n) Gun. "Say why ya creep without a muthaphuckin paddle" -- Lady
or Rage
(Lyrical Gangbang [1992]).
pancake
(v) Hydraulics maneuver where a car goes from all wheels high to
all
wheels low. "Pancake, front-to-back, side-to-side, and all that
shit" --
Dr. Dre (Let me ride [1992]).
papes/papers
(n) Money. "...and we're getting papers, three months later we run
our own
caper" -- Boogie Down Productions (Love's gonna getcha [1990]).
parlaying
(v) West coast slang for partying or having a good time. Comes
from the
French word "parler", which means talking.
Pat Duke
1) (n) Patty Duke, an old sitcom television show. "On the stoop
doing the
Pat Duke" -- Ol' Dirty Bastard (Don't you know [1994]).
2) (n) A popular dance style from the late 80's.
peace
1) (n) That's what rap is all about for all you mentally
challenged.
2) (interj) Farewell bidding.
peckerwood
(n) Derogatory term for a white person.
peeling
(n) What comes off when peeling a cap. "The bigger the cap, the
bigger the
peelin'" -- Ice Cube (Steady mobbin' [1991]) Note that Cube is
paraphrasing a Parliament line, where GC says "The bigger the
headache,
the bigger the pill", but the way he says it, "pill" comes out
sounding
like peel".
peeling caps
(v) Killing someone by shooting him, shots to the head often
disfigure it
in such a way that the cranium is "peeled back". "One wrong move
and your
cap's peeled" -- Ice T. (O.G. original gangster).
peep
(v) Check this out (as in peep this).
peeps
(n) People. "To all my peeps who didn't make it" -- Nas (The world
is
yours [1994]).
pen
(n) Penitentiary, jail. "To all of my peoples in the pens, keep ya
head
up" -- Lost Boyz (Lex Coupes, Beamaz and Benz's [??]).
Penelope
(n) Police -- E-40 (???).
pep
(v) To beat someone up. "I'm ready to pep ya".
phat
1) (adj) Rich like butter, really good, extremely well put
together. "ATCQ
be putting together some phat beats" -- ??? (???)
2) (adj) If a girl was phat, she had Plenty o' Hips And Thighs, in
other
words PHysically ATtractive; old slang. Think 60's or early 70's
here. A
bit more modern: Pussy, Hips And Tits or even Pretty Hot And
Tempting.
phat pocket
(n) A person who has a lot of money
Philly
(n) Philadelphia. Home of Schoolly D., Da Youngstas, The Fresh
Prince,
Tuff Crew, The Roots, DJ Ghetto, Bahamadia.
pie
(n) Vagina.
piece
1) (n) A firearm.
2) (n) A work of graffiti art (short for masterpiece).
3) (n) Sexual intercourse. "I'm gonna go get me a piece."
pig
(n) Police officer. "pig" as a synonym for policeman" has been
around for
about two hundred years (according to "Partridge's Concise
Dictionary of
Slang and Unconventional English"). It did, however, disappear in
the late
nineteenth century (or, as the dictionary says "go underground"
though I'm
not sure what they mean by that) and reappear in common usage
around 1960.
I know that during Prohibition speakeasies who had bribed the
local police
to not bother them were called "blind pigs" (The Blind Pig bar
here in Ann
Arbor actually used to be such a place). I suspect that the term
has been
used to mean any kind of unpleasant person since humans started
domesticating the things....
pimp
1) (n) Boss of prostitutes.
2) (v) To be a ladies man.
PJ's
(n) The Projects.
plats
(n) Dreadlocks.
play
1) (v) To go along with. "I don't think so. Homey don't play that"
--
Homey the Clown in "In Living Colour".
2) (v) To fool. "You can't buy no relationship. You played
yourself." --
Ice-T (You played yourself [??]).
3) (n) Action.
play ball
(v) To play basketball. "Got a pair that I wear when I'm playin'
ball" --
RUN-DMC (My Adidas).
play yourself
(v) To reveal a weakness, as in poker when you played your cards
too
early. "No friends 'cause you dissed 'em too, no money, no crew,
you're
through. You played yourself" -- Ice T. (You played yourself)
played out
(n) Old.
player
1) (n) Someone who is "true to the game", ie. someone who never
sold out.
"To Chuck, Flava and Griff... You're true players" -- Ice-T
(M.V.P.'s).
2) (n) A kind of playboy, so a player is good at picking up
honeys.
3) (n) "Players" is a black-oriented adult men's magazine.
player hater
(n) One who despises or speaks ill of another because he does not
have any
game of his own.
player's ball
(n) A party for players. Outkast mentions it.
PO
1) (n) Police officer, parole officer or probation officer. "dven
pack my
gatt when I go to see my P.O." -- Mobb Deep (The infamous posse
[??]).
2) (adj) Piece out.
3) (v) Pissed off, angry.
po-po
(n) The police, from Oakland Police Department. "Yeah it was
po-po, and
that's OPD for those who don't know" -- Raw Fusion (?? [????])
point blank
1) (adj) At close range.
2) (adj) Right now, right here, in your face. Used when someone is
trying
to prove a point or something.
Poly Apartments
(n) An apartment project at the west side of Long Beach. Was home
for
artists like the Twinz and Warren G: "Poly Apartments for tha
niggaz that
ain't from the LB" -- The Twinz (Good Times [1995]).
pop
(v) To shoot someone. "I'm a pop a cap in him" -- Jules in the
movie "Pulp
Fiction"
posse
(n) A group of people you hang out with. This doesn't necessarily
mean a
gang. "They got too, too, too much posse" -- Public Enemy (Too
much posse
[??])
pot
(n) See marijuana. "Must have been drinking, 'cause this ain't
pot" --
Cypress Hill and Sonic Youth (Mary Jane [1993]).
potna
(n) Term to address a person, compare partner. "What's now up
potna" --
Menace 2 Society.
power U
(n) Vagina. "On top of that you got the good power U" -- Method
Man & Mary
J. Blige (You're all I need [1994]).
primo
1) (n) A joint laced with crack, west coast term. The east coast
equivalent is "turbo". See also marijuana.
2) (n) Friend.
3) (n) Nickname for DJ Premier.
Private Stock
(n) A brand of malt liquor.
project gold
(n) Huge gold hoop earrings.
props
(n) An abbreviation of "propers" or proper respects. A show sits
on
physical and non-physical props. At an award ceremony the winner
gives
props: "And I would like to thank...".
pruno
(n) Wine that inmates make in prison.
psych
1) (n) Dupe. Check out 70's basketball commentary. Dr. J and
especially
Nate Archibald used to do dribbling moves to psych out opponents.
Psych as
in psychological head trips they threw.
2) (interj) I duped you.
puff lye
(v) To smoke a medicinal herb, i.e. marijuana. "Life's a bitch and
then
you die, that's why we puff lye" -- NAS (Life's a bitch and then
you die
[1994])
pump
1) (n) Pump of a pump-action shotgun "Sawed off shotgun, hand on
the pump"
-- Cypress Hill (Hand on the pump [1993])
2) (n) To play music loud.
punani
1) (n) Vagina.
2) (n) Sex, this is used more commonly.
3) (n) A Jamaican dance, the art of moving your stomach and behind
on the
dancefloor.
punk
1) (n) A person related to the Punk movement or the Punk music.
2) (n) A stupid, usually irritating person. "Motherfuck you and
your punk
ass ghetto bird." -- Ice Cube (Ghetto Bird [1993]).
pussy
(n) Vagina.
puta/puto
1) (n) Prostitute.
2) (n) Asshole. "How you like me now, puto" -- Cypress Hill
(Locotes
[??]).

Q Vo
(interj) Shout out, Chicano slang. The term comes from old Mexican
movies
(musicales). "Q Vo, a qui'stoy MC Kid Frost" -- Kid Frost (La Raza
[1991]).
Q.B.
1) (n) Short for Queensbridge.
2) (n) Short for Queen Bitch, or Queen Bee as Lil' Kim refers to
herself.
Queen Bee was a character from the blaxploitation movie
"Dolemite".
Quad City
(n) Orlando. Home of Quad City DJ's, 95 South, 69 Boyz and DJ
Magic Mike.
quarter-O
1) (n) Quarter ounce (= oz.) of weed.
2) (n) 40 oz. of beer.
Queens
(n) New York City borough. RUN-DMC are often referred to as the
Kings from
Queens.
Queensbridge
(n) The name of a six building (six stories each) housing project
in Long
Island City (NY), a section of Queens. 40 side and 41st side refer
to the
40th street side of the buildings 41st street side of the
buildings. Home
of Nas and Mobb Deep.

--

MarS [ http://www.rapartage.narod.ru ]