ESA devices and FS20

Jelle Kalf

Dec 29, 2010, 3:30:27 AM12/29/10
to FHEM users
Hi all,

Sorry for bothering you with english typing again, I still haven't
mastered the german language.

I'm working on my home automation and I've seen some ELV equipment
that looks very nice to implement in my house to chart my energy use.
In particular this device: "Funk-Wechselstromzähler ESA 2000 WZ für
ESA 2000" Artikel-Nr.: 68-904-16

Can I get this device to be used with FS20 (as it seems to talk over
the same frequency as FS20) and it's data logged in fhem? I'm using
FHEM connected to a FHZ1000pc.

Kind regards,

Jelle Kalf

Rudolf Koenig

Dec 29, 2010, 3:38:54 AM12/29/10
to fhem-...@googlegroups.com
> Can I get this device to be used with FS20 (as it seems to talk over
> the same frequency as FS20) and it's data logged in fhem? I'm using
> FHEM connected to a FHZ1000pc.

- the FHZ1000pc wont report ESA2000 data
- The CUL from busware.de can send and (afaik) receive the ESA2000 protocol
- There is no fhem module to decoce ESA2000 (yet)
- Fhem has support for the EM1000WZ via a CUL or an EM1010PC, the latter is
somewhat unreliable as it needs a reboot every now and then.

Jelle Kalf

Dec 29, 2010, 4:42:58 PM12/29/10
to FHEM users
Viele dank herr Koenig,

Would I need the custom FHEM firmware for the CUL device to make this
happen?
It's getting very tempting to switch to a CUL instead of a fhz1000pc
now :)

Kind regards

Jelle Kalf

Rudolf Koenig

Dec 30, 2010, 2:15:58 AM12/30/10
to fhem-...@googlegroups.com
> Would I need the custom FHEM firmware for the CUL device to make this happen?

The "standard" culfw firmware has support for the EM and ESA Protocol.
Exception is the ESA Protocol for the CUL Hardware version < V3.0 (not sold
anymore afaik), for this one you have to compile your own culfw, i.e. there is
no precompiled .HEX file checked in for the CULV2 with ESA

Jelle Kalf

Jan 4, 2011, 8:14:27 AM1/4/11
to FHEM users
Herr Koenig,

Yet again many thanks. One thing I'm wondering about the em1000
product suite is the limitation on the number of attachable devices.
The EM1010pc speaks of a limitation of 5 devices. My I safely assume
this limitation doesn't apply to a CUL/CUNO device?

And a general question to all EM1000em users. It seems like a nice
device for power mearsurements, but does it also allow for on/off
switching like the FS20 ST-3 does? If that's the case, then I'm
completely free of using plugwise.
(Plugwise is the other wall socket energy measurement solution I'm
looking into).

Kind regards,

jelle kalf

Rudolf Koenig

Jan 4, 2011, 9:03:07 AM1/4/11
to fhem-...@googlegroups.com
> The EM1010pc speaks of a limitation of 5 devices.

This is not correct. There are 3 families (EMEM, EMWZ and EMGZ), from each family
you may have up to 4 devices.

> My I safely assume this limitation doesn't apply to a CUL/CUNO device?

No, as it is a protocol problem: you can only choose one of the 4 available
adresses for each device.

> And a general question to all EM1000em users. It seems like a nice
> device for power mearsurements, but does it also allow for on/off
> switching like the FS20 ST-3 does?

Again no. The EMEM sends power consumption every 5 minutes, thats all.

Jelle Kalf

Jan 4, 2011, 9:43:27 AM1/4/11
to FHEM users
> This is not correct. There are 3 families (EMEM, EMWZ and EMGZ), from each family
> you may have up to 4 devices.
> No, as it is a protocol problem: you can only choose one of the 4 available
> adresses for each device.

Thanks for this vital piece of information

> > And a general question to all EM1000em users. It seems like a nice
> > device for power mearsurements, but does it also  allow for on/off
> > switching like the FS20 ST-3 does?
>
> Again no. The EMEM sends power consumption every 5 minutes, thats all.

Any linux/FHEM alternatives I can look into? I'm hoping to stay away
from the windows based Plugwise solution. Also because it's a very
expensive implementation. (9 sockets + a usb stick = € 370,--)