What Will Be the Standard URL After the Google Transition Cut-Off Date?

dvfrog

Feb 24, 2009, 12:30:09 PM2/24/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Will feeds2.feedburner.com/MYPODCASTNAME remain the standard URL after
February 28th?

Franklin Tse

Feb 27, 2009, 7:51:53 AM2/27/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Hello,

I will have a check with the Team.

Franklin Tse

Feb 27, 2009, 11:17:47 AM2/27/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
feeds2.feedburner.com will be working in the future. (In other words,
it is the standard URL)

dvfrog

Feb 27, 2009, 1:01:02 PM2/27/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Thank you, Franklin. Do you work for Google/FeedBurner?

This won't ultimately change to something like "feedburner.google.com/
MYPODCASTNAME"? It seems odd to keep the subdomain "feeds2".

I just want to make sure, as I run nearly 20 podcasts at a university
for professors in various departments. I want to let them know what
URL will be stable long-term.

Thanks!

Franklin Tse

Feb 28, 2009, 5:26:37 AM2/28/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
I am not a Google employee, but as a community expert, I have email
contact with the FeedBurner Team :)

The Team is sure that feeds2.feedburner.com will be the standard URL
in the next few months. Even if they decide to move all addresses back
to feeds.feedburner.com, there will be a permanent redirect and you
won't lose any subscriber because of the address move.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dvfrog

Mar 2, 2009, 8:54:06 AM3/2/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
At present, is there a permanent redirect that points all
feeds.feedburner.com subscribers over to feeds2.feedburner.com? In
other words, current subscribers can still access the podcasts as they
always have, right? Any idea how long this redirect (if any) will
remain?

Thanks again Franklin!

Franklin Tse

Mar 2, 2009, 8:54:09 AM3/2/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Yes. However, I have no idea how long the redirect will remain.

dvfrog

Mar 2, 2009, 3:45:42 PM3/2/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
I came across a blog today that outline just the opposite:

http://nonimage.com/journal/2009/02/16/feedburner-transition-confusion-resolved

Basically, they are saying that feeds.feedburner.com/YOURPODCAST will
not expire and once the servers are all sorted, everyone will go back
to feeds instead of feeds2.feedburner.com/YOURPODCAST

Can we PLEASE get an official response from Google?

dvfrog

Mar 2, 2009, 5:38:04 PM3/2/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
The blog I linked to in the previous post has changed their
information:

"feeds.feedburner.com/feedname will not expire and once the servers
are all sorted, both feeds and feeds2 will both map to the same
server"

This is supposedly from a FeedBurner admin.

I'm more confused than ever.

On Mar 2, 2:45 pm, dvfrog wrote:
> I came across a blog today that outline just the opposite:
>
> http://nonimage.com/journal/2009/02/16/feedburner-transition-confusio...

Franklin Tse

Mar 2, 2009, 9:40:07 PM3/2/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
In short... both URL will never expire... What's the problem?...

dvfrog

Mar 3, 2009, 10:18:27 AM3/3/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Because yesterday, you said, "I have no idea how long the redirect
will remain."

This doesn't indicate that there's any sense of permanency.

Some reports say that everything will go back to feeds.feedburner.com
Some reports say that everything is getting pushed to the feeds2
format

It's ridiculous that Google can't give a straight answer. We have to
piece together this stupid mystery like Nancy Drew.

If my professors who share the feeds.feedburner link with their
classes will have no trouble (now or in the future). And my
professors who've listed the feeds2 format in the iTunes podcast
directory won't have any trouble (now or later), I guess I'm set to
leave well-enough alone. I suppose I'll learn what's what if/when a
feed stops working down the road.

Franklin Tse

Mar 3, 2009, 11:14:43 PM3/3/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Currently, all feeds created in feedburner.google.com are hosted by
feeds2.feedburner.com. It is POSSIBLE that the Team will map
feeds.feedburner.com to feeds2.feedburner.com in the future AND/OR
redirect all feeds in feeds2.feedburner.com to feeds.feedburner.com.
There is no warrant/confirmation on what the Team will do can be made
at the moment.

What I can promise is that, all feeds will continue to work in the
future as stability is the top priority of the Team.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

dvfrog

Mar 4, 2009, 2:35:08 PM3/4/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
Well, I've got half my staff using the feeds.feedburner.com URL and
the rest using the feeds2.feedburner.com URL.

I guess I'll just wait and see who complains first about their
podcasts not working... and make any necessary adjustments if/when
they are needed.

Franklin Tse

Mar 5, 2009, 3:42:41 AM3/5/09
to FeedBurner Help Group - General Services
I think you may never recieve complaints just because of the domain
change :)