How to configure MPICH2 to match FDS5

vivivert

Dec 21, 2007, 2:31:59 AM12/21/07
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
We have installed FDS5 and MPICH2.But there are always erroers when we
use multiple processor to run model.Some computers can not connect
with others.
So we thought there must be some problem on configuring MPICH2.
How to configure MPICH2 for FDS5 accurately?

Kevin

Dec 21, 2007, 9:16:23 AM12/21/07
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
You are not providing any useful information. Assuming you are working
on a Windows machine, can you run a multiple mesh case with
fds5_mpi.exe on your own machine? In other words, can you do this:

mpiexec -n 2 fds5_mpi device_test.fds

in the examples folder with the test case called device_test.fds. If
you are on Vista, move this file out of Program Files, as Vista does
not like you working in there. If you can do this, that proves that
fds5_mpi is working as designed using only your computer. To run on
multiple machines, there is more work you need to do. Read the User's
Guide for further instructions, and if problems persist, be very
specific about the details.

Hostikka Simo

Dec 21, 2007, 9:29:40 AM12/21/07
to fds...@googlegroups.com
If you are working on Windows, you can download hello_mpi.exe from the downloads page. It is a simple 'Hello World' type of application for testing the parallel configuration. Helps to isolate MPI-related problems from possible FDS-use related problems.

Simo

mattia....@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2008, 6:03:59 PM2/7/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hy, I have a little problem....

I use fds 5 and I have 2 computer in LAN... one with win XP and one
with Vista.
First to try to work with 2 pcs toghethet i try each pc only by
itself:

In the 'XP pc' i can start fds jobs with MPICH2 and all works
correctly.

When i try to start a fds job with MPICH2 on 'Vista pc' when start
with
"mpiexec -n 2 fds5_mpi.exe work.fds" the pc ask me a pass for smpd
(and i write the correct one) and then it say :"Unable to connect to
my_pc_vista:8676"......

both pc has the same version of both fds and MPICH2.....(and the xp
one don't ask me for a smpd password....)

HELP!

Thank you....
Matt
mattia....@gmail.com

Bryan Klein

Feb 8, 2008, 8:05:46 AM2/8/08
to fds...@googlegroups.com
This is a known issue with mpich2 and Vista.
I don't use windows, esp. Vista, so I can't really help you with this.
But hopefully this bit from the mailing list will help.

-Bryan

Here is a related snippet from the MPICH2 mailing list.
**** Begin Snip ****
Hi,
Hmm... Looks like some tightened security with Vista.
When you are installing smpd from command line pass the passphrase as an
option to smpd (smpd -phrase behappy -install). You can find all the options
available with smpd in the windows developer's guide
(http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/index.php?s=d
ocs).

Regards,
Jayesh
Feb 8, 2008, 3:06:48 PM2/8/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Ok, i solve mpich2 problem on vista by install and use it from an
Administator prompt....

Now i discovered a second problem:

I start a 2 mesh work from the vista pc by: (exactly the same happens
if I start from the xp pc...)
mpiexec -file config.txt

in the config.txt i use one mesh on xp pc and one on vista pc
the work directory is shared and phisically on xp pc.

The start seems to be good :
Mesh 2 of 2 is alive on "Xp pc"
Mesh 1 of 2 is alice on "Vista pc"

...but after some minutes of nothing happens..

job aborted:
rank: node: exit code[: error message]
0: "Vista pc": 1
1: "xp pc": 1: Fatal error in MPI_Barrier: Other MPI error, error
stack:
MPI_Barrier(406)...............: MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD) failed
MPIR_Barrier(77)...............:
MPIC_Sendrecv(120).............:
MPID_Isend(103)................: failure occoured while attempting to
send an eager message
MPIDI_CH3_iSend(172)...........:
MPIDI_CH3I_Sock_connect(1191)..: [ch3:sock] rank 1 unable to connect
to rank 0 using bussiness card <port=49899 description:"Vista pc"
ifname=192.168.0.4 >
....omissis.....

etc etc.... I think it may be a problem of Vista on admit port n°
49899.... ????

And how open it ??

Thanks...
Matt
mattia....@gmail.com

mattia....@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2008, 3:16:37 PM2/8/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello, it's me again :-)

I disable Vista firewall and the 2 meshes job start correctly on both
two machines :-))))

...but.....

after some time steps...
Time Step: 100, Simulation Time: 3.28 s
forrtl: severe (157): Program Exception - access violation
Image PC Routine Line Source
imon.dll 20B0B9C8 Unknown Unknown Unknown
imon.dll 20B0B5E9 Unknown Unknown Unknown
03B0695C Unknown Unknown Unknown
0388C22C Unknown Unknown Unknown

job aborted:
rank: node: exit code[: error message]
0: "Vista pc": 157: process 0 exited without calling finalize
1: "Xp pc": 123

... :-(

Any suggestion?????

Matt
mattia....@gmail.com

mattia....@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2008, 3:25:26 PM2/8/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello again....sorry for multiple-posts but I have good news,
and I hope they are useful for others....
:-) Yppie!!!

I simply restart the work and now it's working on two machines in Lan
one win xp
one win Vista

...I have only 2 questions:

- How can avoid to disable win vista firewall (two posts later..) ??
- On the machine with xp, that is the one where the exe od fds stay i
can see in task manager
the process running and the CPU used, but on the vista pc i cannot
see the process running
but the CPU load exist (50% on prescott dual core) but isn't in list
so i can't view it...
how to view the process running and cpu load on the machine where
the fds mpi exe does
NOT are on disk???

Thanks,

Matt

p.s. tomorrow i'll post exaclty how i solve MPICH2 on vista 'cause now
i must disconnect internet
'cause my vista machine is without firewall....

Bye

mattia....@gmail.com

Bryan Klein

Feb 8, 2008, 3:33:05 PM2/8/08
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Hello, glad to hear it is working to some extent.

The ultimate answer to your question is to switch to OS X or maybe Linux. :^)

This would make a great mac vs pc guy commercial...
Something about why PC guy is sick and his reply related to how he had
to disable his firewall and anti-virus software so that he could
communicate with his other PC friends. Hilarious....

This is only my personal opinion and not an official endorsement of
any particular product.
--
Bryan Klein

Bryan Klein

Feb 8, 2008, 3:35:49 PM2/8/08
to fds...@googlegroups.com
imon.dll is usually a part of the nod32 Anti-virus software and there
are some known problems with it. Seems that most people work around
this issue by disabling imon in the settings for the software or
uninstalling it altogether. Although some have said that imon doesn't
always go away even if you uninstall the application because it binds
itself into the network services layer.

There are a few things about this found with a Google search.

-Bryan

Tom

Feb 8, 2008, 7:41:47 PM2/8/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

> ...I have only 2 questions:
>
> - How can avoid to disable win vista firewall (two posts later..) ??

Vista's firewall needs to allow traffic from MPICH2 and fds5_mpi.exe.
When installing MPICH2, it adds itself to the exceptions list, so that
shouldn't be a problem. You need to include fds5_mpi.exe as an
exception in the Windows Firewall. That is, if you use a config.txt
file that looks something like this:

exe //cpu1/nist/fds5/fds/fds5_mpi.exe model.fds
dir //cpu1/nist/model
hosts
cpu1 1
cpu2 1

That means that both computers will use fds5_mpi.exe located on the
computer called cpu1. So, on BOTH computers, you need to include the
network path to fds5_mpi.exe as an exception in the Windows Firewall.
This includes cpu1, even though the file is located locally on that
computer. The reason for this being that MPICH2 will try to execute //
cpu1/nist/fds5/fds/fds5_mpi.exe and the Firewall on cpu1 will block
this even though this path leads to the local file.

So, on cpu1 and cpu2, simply open the firewall exceptions list, and
browse to the network path (i.e. //cpu1/nist/fds5/fds/) and add
fds5_mpi.exe as an exception.

> how to view the process running and cpu load on the machine where
> the fds mpi exe does
> NOT are on disk???

The only reason for it to not show up there that I can think about is
that you have started fds5_mpi.exe with one user, and that same user
is not logged on that computer. If you tick the checkbox in the bottom
of task manager on the Processes tab ("show processes from all
users"), you will see processes that other users have started as well,
and hopefully fds5_mpi.exe will show up.

Good luck

mattia....@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2008, 4:48:47 AM2/9/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Ok, now all works correctly....
For imon.dll i have to shut off imon module in Nod32

To make mpich2 works in vista just install and run it in a
Administrator command prompt.

See you soon

Matt

cuub

Feb 24, 2008, 2:00:09 PM2/24/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
We have a problem to start FDS5 simulation with mpich2 on our linux
network.
We are setting up one of our computer laboratorie to
make FDS work in paralell. Those mashines work on Ubuntu Linux. One of
administrators of our network helped me to install mpich2 on those
mashines, it was very difficult to do. mpich2 seems to work correctly
as we had ran all the exemples from mpich2 users guide. But we have
problems with making FDS to start in parallel. We tried to make it
work the way it is written in FDS users guide (config.txt file) but is
seems like it is the way to run it in windows. I also tried to use a
commend:

mimooh@student1:~$ mpiexec -n 4 /mirror/FDSPracownia/
fds_5.1.2_mpi_linux
/mirror/FDSPracownia/20s4m.fds
Process 0 of 0 is running on student1
Process 0 of 0 is running on student16
Process 0 of 0 is running on student13
Process 0 of 0 is running on student6
ERROR: The number of meshes is not equal to the number of MPI
processes
ERROR: The number of meshes is not equal to the number of MPI
processes
ERROR: The number of meshes is not equal to the number of MPI
processes
ERROR: The number of meshes is not equal to the number of MPI
processes

I would be very very grateful for the suggestion how to start the
simulatiom. It seems that mpich2 cannot divide simulation into many
processes. It there a need to compile fds_mpi soft to work with
mpich2.
Maybe there is an easier way to run FDS in parallel than by mpich2? My
knowlage about linux is not great.
Thanks for any help,
Jakub
The Main School of Fire Service

Kevin

Feb 24, 2008, 2:05:14 PM2/24/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
At NIST, we use a Linux cluster running RedHat Fedora Core 6 and LAM/
MPI. It appears from the error message that something is fundamentally
wrong with your set up. You may need to compile FDS yourself. If you
look at the first few executable lines in main_mpi.fds, it appears
that the program does not even recognize the number of processes

Process 0 of 0 is running on student1

I have heard of other people having this problem with MPICH2 on
various platforms. The command syntax is inconsistent. Try a simple

man mpiexec

cuub

Feb 24, 2008, 3:13:05 PM2/24/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Sorry if my questions are quite irritating to You but as I sad my
knowlage about linux is not great. If I want to use Lam/Mpi, it there
a need to compile fds_mpi to work in parallel with it? Or I just need
to install and configure Lan/Mpi?
Thanks for the answer.
Jacob.

Kevin

Feb 24, 2008, 3:19:53 PM2/24/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The question is not irritating. It is important. I am telling you that
we use LAM/MPI and RedHat only because I know that the executables
that I compile run under this configuration. I cannot guarantee other
configs. On any Linux cluster, you may have to compile the code
yourself if the executables we compile do not work.