OpenMP in FDS 5.4

charlie.thornton

Sep 2, 2009, 1:04:14 PM9/2/09
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I notice in the release notes for the new 5.4 version that the OpenMP
option is now available. Is this something that can be turned on with
a input file flag, or is it a compile-time option only? Also, does it
tend to give the same answers as non-OpenMP runs?

drjfloyd

Sep 2, 2009, 1:24:19 PM9/2/09
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Stay tuned on this and monitor the download site for an OpenMP enabled
version. In terms of same answers, we certainly hope so but that is
one of those things that we will be looking for feedback on.

On Sep 2, 1:04 pm, "charlie.thornton" <charlie.thorn...@gmail.com>

Kevin

Sep 2, 2009, 2:47:04 PM9/2/09
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
OpenMP is a compilation option. If you look at the makefile in the FDS
Repository under FDS_Compilations, you see it is an option in the
Intel Fortran build. Christian Rogsch is leading this effort, and he's
currently "thread checking", that is, making sure the parallel version
gives the same answer as serial. If the OpenMP version is used, then
automatically all cores or processors on a given machine are used in
the calc.

We hope eventually to use OpenMP and MPI in the same calculation.
OpenMP will speed the processing of a given mesh, while MPI still
allows us to split the job over multiple machines.

On Sep 2, 1:04 pm, "charlie.thornton" <charlie.thorn...@gmail.com>

Christian Rogsch

Sep 2, 2009, 4:50:36 PM9/2/09
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Charlie,

I'm doing the final checks. If no "problems" occure, the OpenMP
version should be ready tomorrow.

Regards,
Christian