New GUI in development

Emanuele Gissi

Oct 17, 2008, 3:04:37 PM10/17/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
I read the following in the roadmap:
"The FDS users are becoming more sophisticated in their use of
parallel computing, CAD software, and so on. There are currently two
graphical user interfaces (GUIs) for FDS - one on the market and one
in development."

Who is developing a new GUI?
Will it be open source?
Will it be multi platform?

Can I help?

Emanuele Gissi

Kevin

Oct 17, 2008, 4:15:18 PM10/17/08
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
The US Air Force awarded an SBIR (Small Business Innovative Research)
award to a company called Reaction Engineering Inc. to develop a GUI
for CFAST and FDS

http://www.reaction-eng.com/rei_news_and_events/news.html#FireStudio

I will let one of their representatives answer your questions, as I do
not know all the details. Hopefully, they monitor these discussion
threads.

D Perron

Jun 11, 2012, 4:15:54 PM6/11/12
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if anything ever came from this project to develop a FDS GUI? I checked on the company website Kevin linked below back in 2008 as well as today and haven't been able to find anything, other than the initial announcement.

Can someone from Reaction Engineering provide an update?

Thanks,
David.

Kevin

Jun 11, 2012, 6:51:06 PM6/11/12
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
We have had no contact from Reaction Engineering about their GUI. I
would like to hear from anyone who has used it or anyone from Reaction
Engineering about its status.

dr_jfloyd

Jun 11, 2012, 10:21:29 PM6/11/12
to fds...@googlegroups.com
The Phase II SBIR award term was from 2007-2009.  I don't see any record of a Phase III award or any mention of a GUI on their website.

Emanuele Gissi

Jun 12, 2012, 2:42:50 AM6/12/12
to fds...@googlegroups.com
In a certain sense something came out from that project...
It was the clear vision that we (as a community) had to do something to bridge that gap.

And something was born: http://www.blenderfds.org

BlenderFDS is a multiplatform, community driven, open, graphical user
interface for FDS in active development.
Read the documentation wiki pages before using. The approach is
powerful, but complex enough.

Hope this helps, David.

Best regards,
Emanuele Gissi