Recommend a Phedippidations episode for a newbie

MartinY

Jun 6, 2007, 12:37:35 PM6/6/07
to Fdip Group
I am recommending Phedippidations to a few runner friends and was
wondering what your opinions are on a good introductory episode. My
thought is, I'd like them to hear something that gives a good flavor
for the podcast. I have suggested the recent Boston Marathon one
(episode 93) and possibly 94. I thought about the 2006 Boston episode
but don't want them to think the entire show is about how the body
reacts to distance running (just kidding Steve)!

As a longtime listener, many episodes run together for me (although
many stories stand out). I'm curious as to what you all might
recommend to a newbie Phedippidations listener.

Gordon Scott

Jun 6, 2007, 5:15:35 PM6/6/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
I think episode 100 is an excellent start.  And I'm only half way through listening to it.

alisa

Jun 6, 2007, 6:52:46 PM6/6/07
to Fdip Group
I really liked the Boston Marathon episode 93 too, but I also enjoyed
the "reply" or whatever Steve called it, to Gabe Sherman about those
of us in the middle (or behind the middle) of the pack. Can't recall
the episode number, but I was laughing out loud quite a bit during
that run...

Stuart Barrington

Jun 6, 2007, 8:01:49 PM6/6/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com

Personally I like the profiling episodes, Prefontaine Benoit etc I find them very inspiring, and they add some color to this thing we do and are great for LSRs

With regards

Stuart

http://quadrathon.blogspot.com/

54 days to San Francisco// 82 days to the Bulldog 50

abdellah el harchaoui

Jun 6, 2007, 11:33:25 PM6/6/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
One of my favorite episodes is number 92: Aduel in the sun.

Carboman

Jun 7, 2007, 8:33:37 AM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
Episode 8 - Why We Run gets my vote. Isn't that the reason why we all run?

David Peach

Jun 7, 2007, 9:51:31 AM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
I throw my vote in for any of the runner bio episodes. Then anything else on top of that. If they just hear a bio, they may not get the full feel for the podcast. But, the bios (in my opinion) are the best of the best, so you want them to hear one of those too. Terry Fox is a good place to start.

David
www.mythoughtspot.com
www.missionarytalks.com

Timothy M. Cole

Jun 7, 2007, 10:03:20 AM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Alisa that episode 73, An Argument Against Road Race
Purity, is fabulous. Being both a slowpoke and new to road racing, I
appreciate the stand taken for the serious but not elite athlete. I
also like episode 98, Running Etiquette, again because I'm pretty new
to running with lots of people around me (and not to mention that
Steve was kind enough to read my race report of the recent Sugarloaf
(Maine) 15k at the end of the episode!).
tmc

Gordon Scott

Jun 7, 2007, 10:11:54 AM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
Strangely enough, one of the first Phedippidations episodes I listened to was the 110th BM - last year's, the one when Steve got so sick.  Although the whole thing was a nightmare for Steve it was a documentary of how hard this running thing can be, how it can all go wrong and ... and yet it was so heroic.  It is also full a very healthy sense of irony and humour.  It says a lot about Steve's character to put something like this out.

I also think it's the best edited podcast I've ever heard by anyone.

But as a first introduction ... ?  Don't know.  But it worked for me!

gordon

--
Gordon D. W. Scott
www.tiree.blogspot.com

Jon Cohen

Jun 7, 2007, 10:12:21 AM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
Steve Runner is the Paul Tergat of Podcasting. Tergat occasionally will run a bad race but rarely. The same applies to Phedippidations. Now if we can only get steve to do things in his races as consistently well as he does with his podcasts the guy would be dangerous.

--
Jon Cohen
Cornerstone Promotion

Scott Cameron

Jun 7, 2007, 10:27:35 AM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
greetings runners.  i have read a few times in the fdip posts about canada's terry fox.   http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/home/default.asp?s=1  canada has many monuments dedicated to terry fox.  one of the most impressive is in thunder bay, ontario.  i have seen this twice http://www.thunderbay.ca/media/hi_res/terry_fox_hi.jpg  it is very inspirational.  the city of guelph where i reside has a small memorial beside a tree that was dedicated several years ago when terry's family was in town.  it is located beside a trail i  run on from time to time.  i have ran in guelph's terry fox memorial run in the past that goes past this memorial.  it's not a race ... it's a run, walk, as you wish.  great time had by all.

the most profound terry fox moment in my life was early one morning when i was driving north of the highway 401 on highway 35, north east of toronto,  en route to lindsay, ontario in the late spring / early summer of 1980.  there i was all alone pulled over on the northbound side of the road for whatever reason i can't recall.  coming southbound was a runner and a motorhome.  the runner turned his head to his left as did i.  our eyes pierced deeply into each other's.  we both smiled.  we were the only two on the road early this morning.  the moment lasted a few seconds, but is the memory is forever with me.

the runner continued southbound.  i, the non-runner in 1980, northbound.    the runner ... terry.

cheers, scott.

marc...@earthlink.net

Jun 7, 2007, 12:28:23 PM6/7/07
to Fdip Group
Yes, I agree, the Terry Fox eposide stands out for me, as does
"running etiquette."
MG

stja...@aol.com

Jun 7, 2007, 11:00:49 PM6/7/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
the `05 cape cod marathon...
after listening recently, and on the last day of el-cheap-o registration- apr16, checking steve's time on line for boston- i signed up...
celebrating 30year anniversaries & feeling inspired,

stuart jackson

Riede...@aol.com

Jun 9, 2007, 1:18:48 AM6/9/07
to fdip...@googlegroups.com
Scott,

Wow. Chills on that story. Thanks for sharing.

I have to agree all the ones that profiled people were inspirational but the one I would recommend for the first time listener is episode 68  Bravery. Every morning each one of us battles our own demons to achieve our goals and we all succeed when we take that first step.

Bob

See what's free at AOL.com.