FBReader 0.8.16: book tags and new line breaking algorithm

geometer

Mar 20, 2008, 10:40:32 PM3/20/08
to FBReader
Hello All,

New FBReader 0.8.16 is released. This version contains 2 important
enhancemets:

1) We've added "book tags" support. Detailed description of this
feature is available at http://www.fbreader.org/docs/tags.php. This
feature is still very experimental (I mean interface,
not stability). If you have any ideas how to improve it -- please,
share these ideas with us.

2) New line breaking algorithm implementation is used. Many thanks to
Yongwei Wu who implemented the standard unicode algorithm. (Old
FBReader implementation works incorrect for Chinese.)

Important note for package maintainers and users who prefer to compile
own binary packages: liblinebreak is a separate library, it is
available at http://vimgadgets.cvs.sourceforge.net/vimgadgets/common/tools/linebreak/.
You should get sources from this location and create liblinebreak
library before building fbreader package.

For Debian/Ubuntu systems, source and binary development packages for
liblinebreak are available from fbreader debian repository (http://
www.fbreader.org/desktop/debian.php).

This release also fix 1 annoying bug: Tap Scrolling setting works
again without problems.

Regards,

-- Nikolay Pultsin

Antony Dovgal

Mar 21, 2008, 6:47:37 AM3/21/08
to fbre...@googlegroups.com
On 03/21/2008 05:40 AM, geometer wrote:
> Important note for package maintainers and users who prefer to compile
> own binary packages: liblinebreak is a separate library, it is
> available at http://vimgadgets.cvs.sourceforge.net/vimgadgets/common/tools/linebreak/.
> You should get sources from this location and create liblinebreak
> library before building fbreader package.

That's quite a bit of change, I'd say.

The library is not distributed with any Linux/*nix distros, which means it
makes little sense to make it an external dependency.

From what I can see, the library is BSD licensed, so you can freely
include it into the package and ship it along with FBReader sources,
which would solve the problem of creating the package from scratch
for those who don't use Debian.

--
Wbr,
Antony Dovgal

Antony Dovgal

Mar 21, 2008, 7:51:10 AM3/21/08
to fbre...@googlegroups.com

JFYI, OpenSuse (s)rpms for libreadline can be found here:

http://daylessday.org/files/rpms/suse/10.3/RPMS/x86_64/liblinebreak-20080321-1.x86_64.rpm
http://daylessday.org/files/rpms/suse/10.3/SRPMS/liblinebreak-20080321-1.src.rpm

FBReader 0.8.16 rpms are in the same dirs.

--
Wbr,
Antony Dovgal

Yongwei Wu

Mar 21, 2008, 8:48:51 AM3/21/08
to fbre...@googlegroups.com
On 21/03/2008, Antony Dovgal <to...@daylessday.org> wrote:

> On 03/21/2008 05:40 AM, geometer wrote:
> > Important note for package maintainers and users who prefer to
> > compile own binary packages: liblinebreak is a separate library,
> > it is available at
> > http://vimgadgets.cvs.sourceforge.net/vimgadgets/common/tools/linebreak/.
> > You should get sources from this location and create liblinebreak
> > library before building fbreader package.
>
> That's quite a bit of change, I'd say.

Kudos to Nikolay for continuously improving FBReader!

> The library is not distributed with any Linux/*nix distros, which means it
> makes little sense to make it an external dependency.

Of course not. Its life has only been one month, and FBReader is its
first "client" :-).

> From what I can see, the library is BSD licensed, so you can freely

Strictly, a BSD-style licence (zlib).

> include it into the package and ship it along with FBReader sources,
> which would solve the problem of creating the package from scratch
> for those who don't use Debian.

I have no objections here, and Nikolay can have his own discretion
what the best way of using it is.

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei

Antony Dovgal

Mar 21, 2008, 10:17:31 AM3/21/08
to fbre...@googlegroups.com
On 03/21/2008 03:48 PM, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> Kudos to Nikolay for continuously improving FBReader!

Heh, yeah =)

>> From what I can see, the library is BSD licensed, so you can freely
>
> Strictly, a BSD-style licence (zlib).

Ahha, thanks for the clarification.

>> include it into the package and ship it along with FBReader sources,
>> which would solve the problem of creating the package from scratch
>> for those who don't use Debian.
>
> I have no objections here, and Nikolay can have his own discretion
> what the best way of using it is.

Great.
So what do you say, Nikolay?

--
Wbr,
Antony Dovgal

AlanW

Mar 23, 2008, 1:33:07 PM3/23/08
to FBReader
On Mar 20, 9:40 pm, geometer <geome...@mawhrin.net> wrote:
> 1) We've added "book tags" support. Detailed description of this
> feature is available at http://www.fbreader.org/docs/tags.php. This
> feature is still very experimental (I mean interface,
> not stability). If you have any ideas how to improve it -- please,
> share these ideas with us.

Book tags are a great addition to the interface. However, I can't get
Windows FBReader (0.8.16 and 0.8.17) to import metadata from MOBI
ebooks. When I open a new BOOKMOBI file I don't get the author or the
title, and no book tags. A good example (1.1MB with illustrations) is
"A Tale of Two Cities" at MobileRead: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17594

I see that for OEB/EPUB e-books all "<dc:Subject>" entries (from
the .opf file) get imported as tags. Are any other entries also
imported as tags? This information should be added to the
documentation.

In the case of MOBI books, what should get imported as a book tag?

Alan.

geometer

Mar 23, 2008, 3:58:48 PM3/23/08
to FBReader
Hi Alan,

> I see that for OEB/EPUB e-books all "<dc:Subject>" entries (from
> the .opf file) get imported as tags. Are any other entries also
> imported as tags? This information should be added to the
> documentation.

Good idea. We'll add this information to our documentation.

We use <dc:Subject> content as tags for OEB/EPUB and <genre> content
for FB2.
As for Mobipocket, AFAIK we use also <dc:Subject> content -- I will
check this on your sample file,
thank you.

-- Nikolay Pultsin