Does FBReader support Nuut or Cybook ebook devices?

johnson...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2007, 6:18:15 AM8/6/07
to FBReader
Hi,

I was searching for an ebook reader software that can support
different kinds of format on the ebook devices (Iliad, Sony, Nuut,
Cybook, etc..) , and I came across the FBReader.

>From the website, it claims that it support Iliad, but does it support
Nuut or Cybook? (Iliad is too expensive to purchase!)

It would be great if we can we can download an ebook reader software
(that can support different formats) and load it on one of the ebook
linux devices. We wouldn't be stuck to a particular format.

Thank you for your help!

geometer

Aug 7, 2007, 5:03:15 AM8/7/07
to FBReader
Hi,

no, the only e-ink device supported by FBReader is iRex Iliad. AFAIK,
there is no available SDK for Cybook Bookeen, so porting to this
device is currently not possible. I have no information about Nuut.
What the operating system does it use?

-- Nikolay Pultsin

remjax

Aug 7, 2007, 7:05:07 PM8/7/07
to FBReader
The last I heard Cybook used uBook for its reader,
http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html.

Fbreader will read most of the same formats, maybe all as I've not
check each one.

AlanW

Aug 8, 2007, 9:47:13 AM8/8/07
to FBReader
On Aug 7, 6:05 pm, remjax <rem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> The last I heard Cybook used uBook for its reader

The old Cybook was probably a PocketPC device (hence uBook).

The new e-ink Cybook runs Linux, but it isn't yet clear if there will
be any support at all for 3rd party applications. So far as I know,
all the readers based on E-Ink displays run Linux (probably because E-
Ink's prototype units do), but none of them so far has been very
friendly to add-on software. Note that the iLiad does not use an E-
Ink display, and has been priced and configured as more than just a
dedicated e-book reader.

geometer

Aug 8, 2007, 11:21:12 AM8/8/07
to FBReader
> .... Note that the iLiad does not use an E-
> Ink display, ...

Alan,

as far as I know (and as far as I can see on my iLiad device), it uses
an e-ink display. ;)

-- Nikolay Pultsin

AlanW

Aug 8, 2007, 12:24:38 PM8/8/07
to FBReader
On Aug 8, 10:21 am, geometer <geome...@mawhrin.net> wrote:
> > .... Note that the iLiad does not use an E-Ink display, ...
>
> as far as I know (and as far as I can see on my iLiad device), it uses
> an e-ink display. ;)

The iLiad is a spin off of a partnership between Phillips and the E-
Ink corporation, so the screen is (as you say) e-ink but the
controller is an iLiad design. That is why the iLiad has a bigger
screen and a 16 level greyscale, whereas everyone else is getting
their screen+controller from E-Ink corporation (smaller screen and 4
greyscale levels).

geometer

Aug 8, 2007, 12:33:39 PM8/8/07
to FBReader
> > > .... Note that the iLiad does not use an E-Ink display, ...
>
> > as far as I know (and as far as I can see on my iLiad device), it uses
> > an e-ink display. ;)
>
> The iLiad is a spin off of a partnership between Phillips and the E-
> Ink corporation, so the screen is (as you say) e-ink but the
> controller is an iLiad design. That is why the iLiad has a bigger
> screen and a 16 level greyscale, whereas everyone else is getting
> their screen+controller from E-Ink corporation (smaller screen and 4
> greyscale levels).

Alan,

thank you, I didn't know about the controller.

-- Nikolay Pultsin