Run app on hosted site

coolfinn

Sep 1, 2009, 5:11:05 PM9/1/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
Hi - I am bowled over by this CRM app. I have been running it locally
on my laptop for the last few days but am keen to have a hosted
version. I have tried to get it up and running on Godaddy.com servers
because they were cheap but I cannot get anywhere. I can SSH to the
shared host, I try to run rake but get an unknown command. The server
reports that gems are installed but I am beginning to loose the will
to live. I have raised a support request with godaddy.com but they
have been slowed and less than useful in response.

Has anyone here been successful in getting FatFreeCRM running on

1. a hosted environment - if so which one?
2. godaddy.com - if so how!?

Any help really appreciated...

Jim Gay

Sep 1, 2009, 6:09:20 PM9/1/09
to fat-free-...@googlegroups.com
Try heroku.com

I have a sample running (although a bit outdated) at
http://fat-free-crm.heroku.com/
(sign in with user: demo, pass: demo)

I used this to get it going
http://github.com/mooktakim/heroku_sass_and_cache/tree/master
But you might try http://github.com/heroku/sass_on_heroku/tree

Godaddy.com is absolutely horrible for rails apps in my experience.

--
Jim Gay
http://www.saturnflyer.com

coolfinn

Sep 2, 2009, 8:55:53 AM9/2/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
Thanks, this is interesting as I had looked at heroku but could not
get my head around the database requirement of PostgreSQL whereas I
thought Fat Free was SQLite or MySQL only.

Also I ran out of talent trying to get the thing going. I am having a
go with Dreamhost at the moment. But if you could let me know more
about how you got it working on heroku I would be really grateful. By
know more I mean step by step, sorry.

Thanks - any help appreciated.

On Sep 1, 11:09 pm, Jim Gay <j...@saturnflyer.com> wrote:
> Try heroku.com
>
> I have a sample running (although a bit outdated) athttp://fat-free-crm.heroku.com/
> (sign in with user: demo, pass: demo)
>
> I used this to get it goinghttp://github.com/mooktakim/heroku_sass_and_cache/tree/master
> But you might tryhttp://github.com/heroku/sass_on_heroku/tree

Jim Gay

Sep 2, 2009, 9:02:21 AM9/2/09
to fat-free-...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to give you more info when I have time, but you really don't
need to worry about the DB; it's done automatically for you.
Heroku has some great documentation in the mean time.
--
Jim Gay
Creative Director and Owner

Michael Dvorkin

Sep 2, 2009, 11:00:29 AM9/2/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
Consider signing up with Webbynode (http://www.webbynode.com) as the
offer Fat Free CRM as ReadyApp (menu choice when setting up the
hosting). The version the offer is somewhat outdated, but if you
submit a request they should be able to bring it up to date.

Michael
http://www.fatfreecrm.com

coolfinn

Sep 2, 2009, 3:23:33 PM9/2/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
@Michael - thanks I'll check them out.

@Jim - thank you. I plan to have a play with heroku again now I know
it is possible to run it there...

coolfinn

Sep 4, 2009, 4:33:18 AM9/4/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
I have been going at heroku but cannot make any progress. I get stuck
at the read only file-system and cannot get my head round sass and
cache. I have got it going on dreamhost - which is really good but the
upfront charges for 2 yrs hosting is proving difficult to justify.

heroku would be perfect as I have a desire to tweak stuff as well as a
need for a simple clean CRM tool. Any help with getting this going on
heroku would be really great.

Jim Gay

Sep 4, 2009, 8:48:40 AM9/4/09
to fat-free-...@googlegroups.com, Fat Free CRM Users

On Sep 4, 2009, at 4:33, coolfinn <stephe...@me.com> wrote:

> I have been going at heroku but cannot make any progress. I get stuck
> at the read only file-system and cannot get my head round sass and
> cache. I have got it going on dreamhost - which is really good but the
> upfront charges for 2 yrs hosting is proving difficult to justify.
>
> heroku would be perfect as I have a desire to tweak stuff as well as a
> need for a simple clean CRM tool. Any help with getting this going on
> heroku would be really great.

Have you installed either of the heroku & sass option? Do you have a
log to pastie?

> On 2 Sep, 20:23, coolfinn <stephen_w...@me.com> wrote:
>> @Michael - thanks I'll check them out.
>>
>> @Jim - thank you. I plan to have a play with heroku again now I know
>> it is possible to run it there...
>>
>> On Sep 2, 4:00 pm, Michael Dvorkin <m...@fatfreecrm.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Consider signing up with Webbynode (http://www.webbynode.com) as the
>>> offer Fat Free CRM as ReadyApp (menu choice when setting up the
>>> hosting). The version the offer is somewhat outdated, but if you
>>> submit a request they should be able to bring it up to date.

I second that. Webbynode is another good option.

>>> Michaelhttp://www.fatfreecrm.com

coolfinn

Sep 4, 2009, 3:05:15 PM9/4/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
All things considered I could not get my head around heroku. So I have
gone with site5 as a host. They are cheaper than webbynode.com - who
do look god though. A bit of tweaking and I am up and running in only
a few minutes of work - not bad for a loon like me.

Jim Gay

Sep 4, 2009, 3:08:28 PM9/4/09
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM, coolfinn<stephe...@me.com> wrote:

> All things considered I could not get my head around heroku. So I have
> gone with site5 as a host. They are cheaper than webbynode.com - who
> do look god though. A bit of tweaking and I am up and running in only
> a few minutes of work - not bad for a loon like me.

I'm certain you'd be able to get some help if you provided more
details; so far, I don't think you've provided any. But if you've got
it running, that's good.

> On Sep 4, 1:48 pm, Jim Gay <j...@saturnflyer.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 2009, at 4:33, coolfinn <stephen_w...@me.com> wrote:
>>

>> > I have been going at heroku but cannot make any progress. I get stuck
>> > at the read only file-system and cannot get my head round sass and
>> > cache. I have got it going on dreamhost - which is really good but the
>> > upfront charges for 2 yrs hosting is proving difficult to justify.
>>
>> > heroku would be perfect as I have a desire to tweak stuff as well as a
>> > need for a simple clean CRM tool. Any help with getting this going on
>> > heroku would be really great.
>>
>> Have you installed either of the heroku & sass option? Do you have a
>> log to pastie?

>> I second that. Webbynode is another good option.

coolfinn

Sep 5, 2009, 3:27:26 PM9/5/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
OK, thanks, as I say any help is much appreciated Here's the log from
heroku. I know I need to install SASS to get around the read only file
system on heroku - but I am pretty clueless on how to do it. Here's
where I am at:

I have cloned sass on heroku into my fat free crm directory and pushed
onto heroku. I am really not sure what to do from here.

Log file from heroku...

Processing AuthenticationsController#new (for 84.92.243.194 at
2009-09-05 12:19:34) [GET]
Parameters: {"action"=>"new", "controller"=>"authentications"}
Rendering template within layouts/application
Rendering authentications/new

ActionView::TemplateError (Read-only file system - /disk1/home/slugs/
50289_21f1580_2b36/mnt/public/stylesheets/cache/all.css - Heroku has a
read-only filesystem. See http://docs.heroku.com/constraints#read-only-filesystem)
on line #7 of app/views/layouts/application.html.haml:
4: %meta{ "http-equiv" => "Content-Type", :content => "text/html;
charset=utf-8" }
5: %title Fat Free CRM
6: == <!-- #{controller.controller_name} : #
{controller.action_name} -->
7: = stylesheet_link_tag "screen", "/facebox/facebox.css", :cache
=> "cache/all"
8: - unless tabless_layout?
9: = stylesheet_link_tag "calendar_date_select/default.css"
10: %style= yield :styles

app/views/layouts/application.html.haml:7:in
`_run_haml_app47views47layouts47application46html46haml'
vendor/plugins/haml/rails/./lib/haml/helpers/action_view_mods.rb:
13:in `render'
vendor/plugins/haml/rails/./lib/haml/helpers/action_view_mods.rb:
13:in `render'
vendor/plugins/haml/rails/./lib/sass/plugin/rails.rb:19:in
`process'
/home/heroku_rack/lib/minilint.rb:23:in `call'
/home/heroku_rack/lib/static_assets.rb:9:in `call'
/home/heroku_rack/lib/last_access.rb:18:in `call'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/connection.rb:80:in `pre_process'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/connection.rb:78:in `catch'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/connection.rb:78:in `pre_process'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/connection.rb:57:in `process'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/connection.rb:42:in `receive_data'
eventmachine (0.12.6) lib/eventmachine.rb:240:in `run_machine'
eventmachine (0.12.6) lib/eventmachine.rb:240:in `run'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/backends/base.rb:57:in `start'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/server.rb:150:in `start'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:80:in `start'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/runner.rb:173:in `send'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/runner.rb:173:in `run_command'
thin (1.0.1) lib/thin/runner.rb:139:in `run!'
thin (1.0.1) bin/thin:6
/usr/local/bin/thin:20:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/thin:20

Rendering /disk1/home/slugs/50289_21f1580_2b36/mnt/public/500.html
(500 Internal Server Error)

Thanks

Jim Gay

Sep 8, 2009, 7:57:40 AM9/8/09
On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM, coolfinn<stephe...@me.com> wrote:

> OK, thanks, as I say any help is much appreciated Here's the log from
> heroku. I know I need to install SASS to get around the read only file
> system on heroku - but I am pretty clueless on how to do it. Here's
> where I am at:
>
> I have cloned sass on heroku into my fat free crm directory and pushed
> onto heroku. I am really not sure what to do from here.

It's not SASS that you need to install; Fat Free CRM comes with it.
For Heroku, you need to install something that alters SASS to place
generated files in a different location: tmp.

So your log file is still showing errors that it is a read-only file system.

I wrote up a quick tutorial where I started from scratch here:
http://www.saturnflyer.com/blog/jim/2009/09/08/fat-free-crm-on-heroku/

coolfinn

Sep 8, 2009, 8:07:17 AM9/8/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
This is great and now I can see where I've been going wrong. I was not
installing the plugin correctly. I've done it now and all is working
beautifully. Thank you so much!!!

I can move off Site5 and just use Heroku for the lot!

Thanks again.

On Sep 8, 12:57 pm, Jim Gay <j...@saturnflyer.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM, coolfinn<stephen_w...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > OK, thanks, as I say any help is much appreciated Here's the log from
> > heroku. I know I need to install SASS to get around the read only file
> > system on heroku - but I am pretty clueless on how to do it. Here's
> > where I am at:
>
> > I have cloned sass on heroku into my fat free crm directory and pushed
> > onto heroku. I am really not sure what to do from here.
>
> It's not SASS that you need to install; Fat Free CRM comes with it.
> For Heroku, you need to install something that alters SASS to place
> generated files in a different location: tmp.
>
> So your log file is still showing errors that it is a read-only file system.
>
> I wrote up a quick tutorial where I started from scratch here:http://www.saturnflyer.com/blog/jim/2009/09/08/fat-free-crm-on-heroku/
>

> > Log file from heroku...
>
> > Processing AuthenticationsController#new (for 84.92.243.194 at
> > 2009-09-05 12:19:34) [GET]
> >  Parameters: {"action"=>"new", "controller"=>"authentications"}
> > Rendering template within layouts/application
> > Rendering authentications/new
>
> > ActionView::TemplateError (Read-only file system - /disk1/home/slugs/
> > 50289_21f1580_2b36/mnt/public/stylesheets/cache/all.css - Heroku has a
> > read-only filesystem.  Seehttp://docs.heroku.com/constraints#read-only-filesystem)

khoward

Oct 22, 2009, 4:10:30 PM10/22/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
This post is about 6 weeks old... I just tried to install fat-free on
heroku with the http://github.com/heroku/sass_on_heroku and the
alternative http://github.com/mooktakim/heroku_sass_and_cache , both
experiencing problems.

sass_on_heroku, I'm getting 4 errors like this:
DEPRECATION WARNING:
On line 32, character 32 of '/disk1/home/slugs/72941_3f3e1e8_e080/mnt/
app/stylesheets/header.sass'
Implicit strings have been deprecated and will be removed in version
2.4.
'grey' was not quoted. Please add double quotes (e.g. "grey").

heorku_sass_and_cache I am getting the following error:
Processing AuthenticationsController#create (for 71.227.XXX.X at
2009-10-22 12:55:10) [POST]
Parameters: {"authentication"=>{"username"=>"admin",
"password"=>"[FILTERED]", "remember_me"=>"0"}, "action"=>"create",
"controller"=>"authentications"}

NoMethodError (undefined method `valid_password?' for #<User:
0x2b2d45dfaca8>):
app/models/authentication.rb:36:in `send'
app/models/authentication.rb:36:in `validate_by_password'
app/controllers/authentications_controller.rb:32:in `create'
vendor/plugins/haml/rails/./lib/sass/plugin/rails.rb:19:in `process'

I have gone through the fantastic SaturnFlyer tutorial several
times... it almost feels like there has been a change with either
FatFree or with the sass+heroku bridge plugin that is causing this
combo to fail. I was wondering if I could get a 2nd opinion on this?

On Sep 8, 8:07 am, coolfinn <stephen_w...@me.com> wrote:
> This is great and now I can see where I've been going wrong. I was not
> installing the plugin correctly. I've done it now and all is working
> beautifully. Thank you so much!!!
>
> I can move off Site5 and just useHerokufor the lot!
>
> Thanks again.
>
> On Sep 8, 12:57 pm, Jim Gay <j...@saturnflyer.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM, coolfinn<stephen_w...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > > OK, thanks, as I say any help is much appreciated Here's the log from
> > >heroku. I know I need to install SASS to get around the read only file
> > > system onheroku- but I am pretty clueless on how to do it. Here's
> > > where I am at:
>
> > > I have cloned sass onherokuinto my fat free crm directory and pushed
> > > ontoheroku. I am really not sure what to do from here.
>
> > It's not SASS that you need to install; Fat Free CRM comes with it.
> > ForHeroku, you need to install something that alters SASS to place
> > generated files in a different location: tmp.
>
> > So your log file is still showing errors that it is a read-only file system.
>
> > I wrote up a quick tutorial where I started from scratch here:http://www.saturnflyer.com/blog/jim/2009/09/08/fat-free-crm-on-heroku/
>
> > > Log file fromheroku...
>
> > > Processing AuthenticationsController#new (for 84.92.243.194 at
> > > 2009-09-05 12:19:34) [GET]
> > >  Parameters: {"action"=>"new", "controller"=>"authentications"}
> > > Rendering template within layouts/application
> > > Rendering authentications/new
>
> > > ActionView::TemplateError (Read-only file system - /disk1/home/slugs/
> > > 50289_21f1580_2b36/mnt/public/stylesheets/cache/all.css -Herokuhas a

khoward

Oct 22, 2009, 5:05:10 PM10/22/09
to Fat Free CRM Users
I just realized I could go back in time with GIT, so I reset my local
FatFreeCRM git repo to pre Rails 2.3.4 (commit a8777 by Rit Li) and it
works perfectly OK if you follow SaturnFlyer's instructions. If you
use FatFree AFTER the 2.3.4 upgrade, it dies.

I just submitted a trouble ticket with FatFree #113.

On Oct 22, 4:10 pm, khoward <kirkahow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This post is about 6 weeks old... I just tried to install fat-free onherokuwith thehttp://github.com/heroku/sass_on_herokuand the
> alternativehttp://github.com/mooktakim/heroku_sass_and_cache, both
> experiencing problems.
>
> sass_on_heroku, I'm getting 4 errors like this:
> DEPRECATION WARNING:
> On line 32, character 32 of '/disk1/home/slugs/72941_3f3e1e8_e080/mnt/
> app/stylesheets/header.sass'
> Implicit strings have been deprecated and will be removed in version
> 2.4.
> 'grey' was not quoted. Please add double quotes (e.g. "grey").
>
> heorku_sass_and_cache I am getting the following error:
> Processing AuthenticationsController#create (for 71.227.XXX.X at
> 2009-10-22 12:55:10) [POST]
>   Parameters: {"authentication"=>{"username"=>"admin",
> "password"=>"[FILTERED]", "remember_me"=>"0"}, "action"=>"create",
> "controller"=>"authentications"}
>
> NoMethodError (undefined method `valid_password?' for #<User:
> 0x2b2d45dfaca8>):
>   app/models/authentication.rb:36:in `send'
>   app/models/authentication.rb:36:in `validate_by_password'
>   app/controllers/authentications_controller.rb:32:in `create'
>   vendor/plugins/haml/rails/./lib/sass/plugin/rails.rb:19:in `process'
>
> I have gone through the fantastic SaturnFlyer tutorial several
> times... it almost feels like there has been a change with either
> FatFree or with the sass+herokubridge plugin that is causing this

Jim Gay

Oct 22, 2009, 5:46:18 PM10/22/09
to fat-free-...@googlegroups.com
Well, this certainly is a weird error.

I'm glad you reported both because the second one is nonsensical, but
the first provides the answer.
See this commit
http://github.com/saturnflyer/fat_free_crm/commit/d3a28f28f16acfcba8af40210e342a7181883963

Apply that commit and you should be good to go. The official heroku
sass support plugin still fails for me, but this still works fine
git://github.com/mooktakim/heroku_sass_and_cache.git