Cloning an existing Farcry server to use for development

Michael Dowless

Aug 29, 2012, 6:56:46 PM8/29/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I have cloned our existing Farcry 6.1.3 web server (Windows 2008R2) running CF 9.1 and IIS7.5. It is now on VMWare ESX 4.1 as a virtual machine. The problem is none of the sites will start up. I expected that I would have some start up issues but I'm not sure where to start.

I definitely want to change the data source to use a copy of the production database but I can't get the cfadmin web site to run. Of course the machine name and IP addresses are different so I am wondering what files or settings need to be edited so it is looking at the new server name (alb-fcdev) so I can get this dev server working.

Right now I don't want to clobber the existing SQL 2008 database running our production web server so I need to change the data source in the CFadmin but can't get it running to do so.

Any tips? I'm looking through the farcry-dev group but can't find anyone yet that's cloned an existing production server. I can provide whatever information you need to help me troubleshoot this startup problem.

AJ Mercer

Aug 29, 2012, 8:41:57 PM8/29/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com

Have the CF services started?

Has IIS service started?

What errors are you getting?

You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Uwe Degenhardt

Aug 30, 2012, 2:09:45 AM8/30/12
to Michael Dowless
Hi Michael,
is CF running alone at all ?
Is the webserver running alone at all ?
Did you check the CF-logfiles already ?

Uwe

You received this message cos you are subscribed to "farcry-dev" Google group.
To post, email: farcr...@googlegroups.com

Michael Dowless

Aug 30, 2012, 1:17:21 PM8/30/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Progress.

CF services all started:

Adobe ColdFusion 9 AS CF2 (We have a multi server install so one of our instances is called CF2)
ColdFusion 9 .NET Service
ColdFusion 9 ODBC Agent
ColdFusion 9 ODBC Server
ColdFusion 9 Search Server
Macromedia JRun Admin Server
Macromedia JRun CFusion Server

IIS7.5 services started:

IISADMIN
W3SVC

The Error I was getting was that either the web page localhost/farcry (Using IE 9 on the dev server) would time out with a server 500 error or no error at all just a timeout.

CF log files don't show any meaningful errors.

Trying to get to localhost/cfide/administrator would give me 403 forbidden to browse directory so I enabled directory browsing went to the proper directory and was then able to get to the CF admin login page. Huh?

Went back and disabled directory browsing and still able to get to the admin page so from here I am going to copy the prod Farcry database, create a new db called FCDEV on our SQL server and point the CF admin at that db so we are running completely separate databases for prod and dev.

I think I'm on my way. Thanks for the help

Michael

Michael Dowless

Aug 30, 2012, 6:48:14 PM8/30/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I spoke too soon.

I have the cfadmin working and restored the backup of the farcryprod database to a database called farcrydev. I changed the datasource in the cfadmin for the dev server to point to farcrydev and that verified OK.

Started up the FarcryDev (Formerly called FarcryProd) web site on the dev server and now the error I'm getting is

Please push "back" on your browser or go back home

Error Overview

Machine:ALB-FCDEV
Instance: cfusion
Message:Datasource FarcryProd could not be found.
Browser:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.83 Safari/537.1
DateTime:{ts '2012-08-30 14:26:20'}
Host:farcrydev.linnbenton.edu
HTTPReferer:
QueryString:
RemoteAddress: 192.168.10.xxx
Bot:not a bot

Error Details

Exception TypeDatabase
Tag Context
  • G:\Inetpub\Applications\farcry\core\Application.cfc (line: 215)
  • G:\Inetpub\Applications\farcry\core\Application.cfc (line: 190)

Here is the snippet of code that contains lines 190 and 215

<!-----------------------------------
CALL THE PROJECTS SERVER SPECIFIC VARIABLES
----------------------------------->
<cfinclude template="/farcry/projects/#application.projectDirectoryName#/config/_serverSpecificVars.cfm" />
<!--- Add Server Specific Request Scope files --->
<cfif directoryExists("#application.path.project#/config/#machineName#")>
<cfif fileExists("#application.path.project#/config/#machineName#/_serverSpecificVars.cfm")>
<cfinclude template="/farcry/projects/#application.projectDirectoryName#/config/#machineName#/_serverSpecificVars.cfm" />
</cfif>
</cfif>
<!-----------------------------------
INITIALISE THE REQUESTED PLUGINS
----------------------------------->
<cfif isDefined("application.plugins")>
<cfloop list="#application.plugins#" index="plugin">
<cfif fileExists("#application.path.plugins#/#plugin#/config/_serverSpecificVars.cfm")>
<cfinclude template="/farcry/plugins/#plugin#/config/_serverSpecificVars.cfm" />
</cfif>
</cfloop>
</cfif>

<!----------------------------------------
LOCALES
- Append Locales currently used in the project
----------------------------------------->
<cfswitch expression="#application.dbtype#">
<cfdefaultcase>
<cfquery datasource="#application.dsn#" name="qProfileLocales">
SELECT distinct(locale) as locale
from #application.dbowner#dmProfile
</cfquery>

I've bolded both lines but am not sure where to go next. The _serverSpecificVars.cfm file under Applications\Farcry\projects\linnbenton\config has no mention of FarcryProd anywhere.

I'm not sure where it's getting that it needs to connect to the old datasource name FarcryProd since I changed it in the CF admin under Data Sources.

I restarted the server to see if it needed the CF settings refreshed but still got the 500 error above when going to /webtop and if browsing to the root of http://farcrydev.linnbenton.edu/ it just gives a standard 500 error

Server Error

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I know I'll find it and there may be other places on the server that need to have the old FarcryProd or Alb-Farcry server name rooted out and changed before everything works.

Thanks for helping me out with this.

MIchael

Uwe Degenhardt

Aug 30, 2012, 6:50:19 PM8/30/12
to Michael Dowless
Hi Michael, good to know !

Would have been interesting to see, what caused this 500er error.
Did you switch on advanced error messages in the IIS ?
Uwe

Michael Dowless

Aug 30, 2012, 7:05:25 PM8/30/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
I tried doing that for the 500 errrors  as shown.

Inline image 1

The message then was even less informative...

There was a problem with that last request

Please push "back" on your browser or go back home

How do you get better error information?

image.png

Justin Carter

Aug 30, 2012, 7:13:32 PM8/30/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

The error "Datasource FarcryProd could not be found." means that the instance of CF that the site is running under does not have a datasource called "FarcryProd". If you have multiple instances of CF then you will need to check which instance you can configured the site to use and update the ColdFusion DSN's in that instance accordingly.

When the second error page, that's FarCry's built-in 500 error page. You should be able to append ?debug=1 or ?debug=<yourUpdatappKey> to the URL to see the full debug info. If you don't know your update app key, browse to the farcry/projects/yourProjectName/www folder and look at farcryConstructor.cfm. This is where things are configured like the application name, the name of the DSN that the application will use, the db type, your project path, and your updateapp key (which is used to access debug info, and all importantly, restart the application when you use ?updateapp=<yourUpdateappKey>

cheers,
Justin.
image.png

Michael Dowless

Aug 30, 2012, 7:28:10 PM8/30/12
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
Man Justin you totally pegged it! I found the FarcryProd DSN entry in the FarcryConstructor.cfm file and changed it to FarcryDev. Did an http://farcrydev.linnbenton.edu/updateapp=1 and after a bunch of chugging it came up with a 404 not found but then I refreshed the page and it was showing the proper content. The Webtop also works now.

Whew! That takes a load off.

Thank you so much Justin and all who helped with this problem. Now to document what to do when this happens again.

Cheers,

Michael
image.png