FarCry policy group permissions

1 view

turbofan

Sep 25, 2009, 10:11:34 AM9/25/09
to farcry-dev
FarCry has a build in policy group for contributors, this group has
the ability to create content within the site tree, in addition
members in the group do not have the ability to approve content that
is created.

The current problem that I am running into is that the contributor
policy group also gives the user the ability to edit navigation items
(i.e. rename them) and move them up and down without requesting any
type of approval. Does anyone know if a policy group can be created
to prevent the user from renaming and moving navigation items without
approval?

Marco van den Oever

Sep 25, 2009, 9:01:05 PM9/25/09
to farcry-dev
What do you need for that given group? Do they need to be able to
change the website tree or just contribute content items?
If they only need to contribute content items then you could change
the contributors group by removing the relevant permissions like
Tree*, or duplicate permissions of contributors group and change.

turbofan

Sep 27, 2009, 8:24:14 AM9/27/09
to farcry-dev
I understand that the site plugin can be removed from the policy group
permissions, but this would not provide a valid solution. I need the
contributor user to be able to create and edit site content but not
approve (currently the case). The user should not be able to rename
and move navigation node items in the site tree without approval.
Currently the contributor can both rename and move navigation items
without approval. Does anyone have any other ideas? Please.
thanks

On Sep 25, 9:01 pm, Marco van den Oever <marcovandenoe...@gmail.com>

Marco van den Oever

Sep 27, 2009, 10:27:13 AM9/27/09
to farcry-dev
OK i was thinking in a more general "site" idea.
I really have to wait with you for this answer, curious if it's
possible.

Tomek Kott

Sep 27, 2009, 10:53:45 AM9/27/09
to farcr...@googlegroups.com
have you looked through all the possible permissions that might be related to navigation? There might be some that deal with exactly what you want to do. I'm not sure as I've never checked it.

It also seems that the status category is built into the dmNavigation type, but doesn't seem to require a draft before changing a node, which would mean that there is no approval process necessary. This might be a bug or not, but that's a question for the daemonites i guess...

Tomek

turbofan

Sep 28, 2009, 8:16:33 AM9/28/09
to farcry-dev
Tomek,

I have gone through each of the permissions that I can see are in
relation to dmNavigation without success. Can one of the daemonities
please advise on what they would recommend?

If this is a bug, would it be a big undertaking for me to try to
implement a fix? Any clues on which files I should look at to develop
the fix?

thanks

On Sep 27, 10:53 am, Tomek Kott <tkott.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> have you looked through all the possible permissions that might be related
> to navigation? There might be some that deal with exactly what you want to
> do. I'm not sure as I've never checked it.
>
> It also seems that the status category is built into the dmNavigation type,
> but doesn't seem to require a draft before changing a node, which would mean
> that there is no approval process necessary. This might be a bug or not, but
> that's a question for the daemonites i guess...
>
> Tomek
>
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Marco van den Oever <

Jake Churchill

Sep 28, 2009, 4:11:09 PM9/28/09
to farcry-dev
dmNavigation has never had an approval process. I've yet to use any
of the 5.x branch but I assume not a whole lot has changed. I know
security was scheduled to change though. On my 4.0 branch, you can
simply do this...

log into the webtop as an admin and find the node that you want to
restrict. Right click on it and select permissions. Change the
select box to the permission group you want to modify ("contributor"
in this case) and for "Edit" change it to "No".

This will keep them from getting the move menu completely.

If you want to know more about what else would be affected, look at /
core/tags/navajo/overview.cfm (this was around line 1244).

NOTE: This is on version 4.0 as I mentioned.

-Jake

turbofan

Sep 29, 2009, 4:26:43 PM9/29/09
to farcry-dev
As far as I can see this is a pretty big hole. A contributor user
cannot approve a navigation item that he/she created, however the same
user can edit an existing navigation item (that has already been
approved) and make changes to it without approval. Does anyone else
see a problem with this?

If you change the permission to not allow editing of the particular
navigation item it seems to cascade down the branches so this does not
appear to be a viable option.

Marco van den Oever

Sep 29, 2009, 4:30:22 PM9/29/09
to farcry-dev
I believe that is an candidate for a improvement request, i will vote
for it.