jQuery issue: Fancybox in IE9

MikeS

Mar 31, 2011, 11:24:30 AM3/31/11
to fancybox
Surprisingly enough, I'm already having issues with IE9. When I load
fancybox.net or any of the sites containing fancybox, I get this
error:

line 72 appendChildOriginal(element);

jscript debugger
breaking on jscript runtime error - invalid calling object

This error appears not only on this page, but ironically even msn.com
kicks this error on page load in IE9. I'm completely new to the JS
debugger in IE, but it seems to me that this may be a jQuery issue,
based on what I was able to decipher from IE's debugger. I did a lot
of googling on the matter yesterday, and wasn't able to find anyone
with the exact same issue as me, so it could possibly be a browser
setting issue???

From what I did find, I know jQuery 1.5 had issues with IE9, but from
what I read, most issues were solved when updating to jQuery 1.5.1. On
the page that I'm testing offline that is giving me problems, I've
tried jQuery 1.4.4 and 1.5.1 and neither solves my problem. What is
happening is that if I have an image that should lightbox upon
clicking, clicking does nothing except pushing the line 72 error I've
been seeing alot of. I would think that clicking should at the very
least load the image without the lightbox, as though no js was being
used. This error I'm seeing is not limited to the Fancybox plugin. I
use the Lytebox (http://www.dolem.com/lytebox/) plugin, and when
testing a site using Lytebox, I get the line 72 error again, but at
least it lets me click through to the un-lightboxed image. Even
jQueryUI's demo pages have been problematic on IE9 for me. Some of the
effects work, while some do not.

I apologize, because my javascript knowledge is lacking, but I'm
reading through jQuery Novice to Ninja, along with online tutorials,
to try to learn some more on the subject. My current js knowledge
includes downloading jQuery and using an already developed and tested
plugin to achieve my goal, but I am working to change that.

Thank you for your time!

Joonas

Mar 31, 2011, 11:29:53 AM3/31/11
to fancybox
OMG!? has microsoft plessed us with another bad internet browser!? oh
my...

..that said let me go and download that thing.

Joonas

Mar 31, 2011, 12:12:46 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
Its weird that you get that error.. as i didnt. It worked just fine on
fancybox.net.

From the desktop how ever.. it opened the images without fancybox.

MikeS

Mar 31, 2011, 12:19:36 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
Hmm... if the debugger is on, do you get any errors when clicking an
image?

Joonas

Mar 31, 2011, 12:20:33 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
Sorry for 3 consecutive messages but of course are i dont really use
ie except for testing purposes i forgot that active x components need
to be accepted locally... therefore i can say i experience no problems
with ie9 and fancybox..

Also as far as the effects go.. http://photoshopmesta.net/sic/theTest/
i tested in here and seemed to work fine.

I do have 64bit version though ..well maybe you just got one that was
packaged on monday.. or friday even.

MikeS

Mar 31, 2011, 12:47:16 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
I also should have mentioned I'm on 64bit IE9, but I don't know how
much that matters.

Joonas

Mar 31, 2011, 12:49:23 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
maybe you should try reinstalling your ie9 ..thats the only idea i
have.

MikeS

Mar 31, 2011, 12:50:30 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
I posted the 64 bit thing before i saw your last post. I'm
reinstalling ie9 now to test just what you mentioned about an early
package.

MikeS

Mar 31, 2011, 2:05:10 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
Thanks for your help joonas! I appreciate it!

I uninstalled ie9, rebooted and reinstalled, still with the same
issue. Fancybox still a no go and I tried that other link you posted,
and the results are the same. I've tried the 64 and 32 bit versions. I
also tried turning the Security and Privacy settings the whole way
down, just to eliminate a variable, and that didn't work either. Along
the same lines, I tried starting Internet Explorer with no addons, and
that got things working! I'm testing right now to see which one is
being problematic.

I figured it out and it is the divx plugin that causes the issues.
Once it was disabled, I was back in business!

Joonas

Mar 31, 2011, 2:08:10 PM3/31/11
to fancybox
Good :) glad it worked out!