Displaying Vimeo Inline + Internet Explorer 8

snl

Jan 12, 2010, 8:27:51 AM1/12/10
to fancybox
I am working on a simple video portfolio using Vimeo as a backend. It
show thumbnails in an accordion, muxtape-style. When you click on one,
you get the video in a fancybox-based lightbox.

Here's a working demo:

http://box.danceworker.com

The site works fine in all browsers BUT Internet Explorer 8, which I
happened to test this morning.

In IE, Vimeo's Moogaloop player loads in the lightbox but throws a
"Sorry, this video is not available" error. If I disable Fancybox and
show the inline content, the video plays fine.

Not having much experience with Flash embedding, I thought I'd ask
here if this problem rings any bells with anyone?

Hakan

JFK

Jan 12, 2010, 3:20:43 PM1/12/10
to fancybox
1). you may have some javascripts errors (see IE status bar) which
won't be tolerated by IE (FF would though); if you don't fix them your
site will not run ... I tried IE7 and it doesn't either

2). For a reason I don't fully understand, fancybox won't display
<object> elements with data attribute; your is:
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://vimeo.com/
moogaloop.swf" ....

however you may use <embed> instead:
<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?
clip_id=8625203&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_title=0&amp;autoplay=1"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" ..........

snl

Jan 13, 2010, 10:24:03 AM1/13/10
to fancybox
I think I have narrowed down the issue. The "flashvars" parameter in
the flash object copied over into #fancy_div has no value, missing
what is set in the original object. Flashvars contains the clip_id,
among other things, which is why Vimeo player displayed in the fancy
div is complaining that the video doesn't exist.

PS Regarding your other point, the current javascript throws no errors
in IE8.

JFK

Jan 13, 2010, 12:15:41 PM1/13/10
to fancybox
good your solved your issue .... at least in IE8
this is what IE7 says (if this does matter to you):
Error on page:
Problems with this Web page might prevent it from being displayed or
function properly. In the future, you can display this message by
double-clicking the warning icon displayed in the status bar.
Line: 145
Char: 7
Error Expected identifier, sting or number
Code: 0

additionally, your accordion doesn't work and your videos don't open
in fancybox but in a new window

snl

Jan 13, 2010, 8:15:05 PM1/13/10
to fancybox
Thanks for the heads-up on IE7.

To go back to my original question, should anyone ever run into the
same issue:

I managed to get Vimeo + Fancybox work on IE by moving the flashvars
parameters to the video URL.