Week 6 Looking for online community: Discussion forums

artie

Sep 8, 2008, 9:25:21 PM9/8/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Hi Everyone,

Leigh asked me to put up a link to the meeting recording and start a
discussion.

Here is a link to the meetings page:
http://www.wikieducator.org/Facilitating_online_communities/Meetings

This is a great link directly to the audio files as posted on Internet
Archive:
http://www.archive.org/details/FacilitatingOnlineCommunities-DiscussionForums

I will be listening to the audio now and ready to comment soon.

artie

Sep 8, 2008, 10:29:22 PM9/8/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
The meeting is 52 minutes long (or short?)

Leigh begins by bolstering his position that a facilitator cannot
easily change hats from one role to another, from facilitator to
teacher etc. I suppose I would think the same. A role is tough to
play. I wouldn't think that an actor on stage would be able to play
more than one or two roles in the play. Here we are talking about
three roles - facilitator, moderator and teacher. I suppose it can be
done, but how well?

There is also some talk about the role of moderator. My take is that
you can toss out the so-called "moderator" because nothing has so
disturbed the entire web than this subversive element. Traditional
democratic form is our moderator. Ditching that was where the whole
web veered. But they were technocrats, and we are not!

I get a feeling that Leigh is interested in practicing and promoting
the arts of a kind of Socratic dialogue, and I am all in favor of
that, but it requires training. A good way into that type of learning
is to start people out with practical dialogues (workshops) in which
the learners compare knowledges and ignorances and fill in the gaps.
That can help people to learn how to learn.

Leigh makes a distinction between this course and a community. I can
do that to an extent. If you have FOC07 and FOC08 together in a
course, then you have an FOC community. Because FOC07 is finished with
the course. If this scenario occurred in a university setting, it
would be a community that supports a course. In that light, it could
be of vital interest to the whole community to advance the course for
those who are continuing to learn. A community time for everyone, a
time for FOC08, and a distinct role for the FOC07 people.

That's my first listen. But I have noticed that I usually hear wrong
the first time! Or I miss whole parts. I must have because at the same
time that I was listening, I was writing this and writing emails and
surfing for info. So my attention was completely divided! I'll have to
listen to it again.

On Sep 8, 8:25 pm, artie <artistsforanar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Leigh asked me to put up a link to the meeting recording and start a
> discussion.
>
> Here is a link to the meetings page:http://www.wikieducator.org/Facilitating_online_communities/Meetings
>
> This is a great link directly to the audio files as posted on Internet
> Archive:http://www.archive.org/details/FacilitatingOnlineCommunities-Discussi...

artie

Sep 9, 2008, 11:14:18 AM9/9/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Perhaps it would also be good to evaluate the meetings upon more
objective grounds?

Did the meeting start on time?

How long was the meeting? I think the meeting has a clock setting that
cuts off at one hour. This keeps the leader aware of time. Meetings
should generally run either on time from beginning to end or,
preferably, be shorter. So Leigh has been just shy of 60 minutes with
each meeting. This one was 8 minutes short. Good.

How many meetings were scheduled for this date?

How many meetings occurred? One or two?

Who attended each meeting? This is important to know because if the
two meetings have substantially different memberships then they
constitute not only two meetings but two distinct groups. If this is
so, then we should also note the natural division of the two groups.

We might look at fluctuations in attendance. Is it stable, falling or
increasing?

Who spoke in the meeting?

Were any recognizable roles performed by other members?

Was there any noticable structure or progression from one part to the
next?

Have I missed any other objective criteria for evaluating a meeting?

artie
> > I will be listening to the audio now and ready to comment soon.- Hide quoted text -

artie

Sep 9, 2008, 1:33:04 PM9/9/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
I quote from the chat log:

Joined on 4 September 2008 at 20:11

StaffMember: So sorry Daryl!! I forgot the recorder again!!!

StaffMember: is on now

StaffMember: perhaps know when to share these roles

This does not tell us when the meeting began but does tell us that the recording began at 20:11. So if we add the 52 minutes of recording, the meeting was a total of 63 minutes. 3 minutes overtime. Meetings should begin on time and either end on time or earlier. But 3 minutes overtime is not very bad. And there is a mention of sharing roles. So possibly the leader can get people to handle several of the tasks and make it less of a juggle. It's not bad for the third meeting and I suppose we can expect it to get better with each meeting. At least that can be a target. I know that it is not easy to do this kind of organizing, which is why other people need to get it and carve out supportive roles.

And can we give some designated titles to these roles?
Meeting Coordinator, Meeting Recorder, what other roles may be necessary?

artie

Sep 10, 2008, 9:23:52 AM9/10/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
I think that since this is a course is facilitation that the members
ought to rotate as Facilitator each meeting. The role of Recorder
might be shared. But no one should be fixed in any role. The fact that
Leigh is still functioning as facilitator makes me doubt the success
of FOC07. All of FOC07 should be facilitating this course. And there
should also be a Meeting Evaluator. Someone who comments about the
meeting using objective criteria.

So we have these roles:
Course Coordinater
Meeting Faciliators (for two distinct groups)
Recorder (and Timer)
Grammarian - Sometimes I do not understand what was recorded. Could be
a word not being understood, could be technical difficulties
Meeting Evaluator

Leigh doesn't maintain the scheduled topic for this meeting. Seems
like he's still back there struggling with these issues of
faciliation. That's OK. I'm still trying to figure out "What is a
Community?" I will still be working on that when this course finishes.

On Sep 9, 12:33 pm, artie <artistsforanar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I quote from the chat log:
>

> > Joined on 4 September 2008 at 20:11
>
> > StaffMember: So sorry Daryl!! I forgot the recorder again!!!
>
> > StaffMember: is on now
>
> > StaffMember: perhaps know when to share these roles
>
> This does not tell us when the meeting began but does tell us that the
> recording began at 20:11. So if we add the 52 minutes of recording, the
> meeting was a total of 63 minutes. 3 minutes overtime. Meetings should begin
> on time and either end on time or earlier. But 3 minutes overtime is not
> very bad. And there is a mention of sharing roles. So possibly the leader
> can get people to handle several of the tasks and make it less of a juggle.
> It's not bad for the third meeting and I suppose we can expect it to get
> better with each meeting. At least that can be a target. I know that it is
> not easy to do this kind of organizing, which is why other people need to
> get it and carve out supportive roles.
>
> And can we give some designated titles to these roles?
> Meeting Coordinator, Meeting Recorder, what other roles may be necessary?

Sarah Stewart

Sep 10, 2008, 2:41:00 PM9/10/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Artie

I was on the FOC 07 course and had every intention of doing more informal 'facilitating' of this course than I have. Theoretically, you are absolutely right, and I am very happy to 'help' in any way I can. But the fact of the matter is I am incredibly busy at the moment, so just haven't got time to do anything more than keep an eye on proceedings and say a word here and there.

How do you actually see FOC07 people taking part?

cheers Sarah

artie

Sep 10, 2008, 2:57:59 PM9/10/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sarah,

The fact that so many people have so little time is the very reason why we need to be as organized as we possibly can be. I suggest making appointment with other members and learning something new, thoroughly, using a practical dialogue form. We can learn a lot in a small period of organized time.

At this time, Greg and I are learning eachother's time zones so that we can schedule appointments with eachother and work in an organized fashion. We are going to learn how to make appointments with eachother.

I would like to do complete tours of everyone's blogs and I would be willing to give each member who is blogging in this course a personal tour of my blog.

:)
artie

Leigh Blackall

Sep 10, 2008, 8:06:18 PM9/10/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Fascinating thoughts and ideas there Artie. Good on you for posting them. Since attending a 3 day f2f conference I have fallen behind on FOC08 - but its a flexible course right? My turn to be behind - which is your opportunity to facilitate perhaps? I really like the suggestion of sharing the roles over the meetings and was waiting for a time that felt right for this. I think 3 meetings is enough for some people to now have the hang of how I run them at least.. My approach is to simply set 2 times that we know is reasonable for almost all of us, and who ever can make it does. I find this avoids the endless exchange of time zones etc. I then run a pretty open meeting revolving around people sharing their thoughts while we look at their blog. I leave enough time for me to communicate what is expected in terms of the course schedule. It would be great if someone else was to step up to the plate and organise meetings too - either in this style or another. It will be good practice for those thinking of facilitating a web meeting for the course mini conference. I am aware of some meetings taking place, but I have not been able to access any recordings, nor have any been noted to the meetings page on the wiki. But I admit I am a few days behind, so perhaps I am about to discover a recording and notes...
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

artie

Sep 11, 2008, 1:23:18 PM9/11/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Leigh, I want to take a closer look at the whys and hows of splitting the meeting into two.

First, it was obviously necessary to have two meetings when a full third of the globe is unconscious while the other two thirds is conscious.This is a natural and unavoidable division.

No where in the course outline can I find a schedule of meetings. What two times were chosen for the meeting and why?

artie

Leigh Blackall

Sep 11, 2008, 4:33:10 PM9/11/08
Artie said:

No where in the course outline can I find a schedule of meetings. What two times were chosen for the meeting and why?

That's right Artie, there is no schedule for meetings because they are set as and when needed. The two times where arrived at through general discussion on this forum - perhaps a little before you joined. I figured that 9pm UTC and 8am UTC gave almost everyone a chance to join. See if you can work out if that's true. Here's a hint.

artie

Sep 11, 2008, 4:37:34 PM9/11/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that you chose times that were about 12 hours apart so as to accomodate those who lived 180º apart on a latitude. Is that guess about right?

Leigh Blackall

Sep 11, 2008, 6:03:13 PM9/11/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Not that simple.. it just worked out that way. If I was thinking that simply, I would have probably just gone 9am and pm UTC

artie

Sep 11, 2008, 6:47:52 PM9/11/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
"I figured that 9pm UTC and 8am UTC gave almost everyone a chance to
join. See if you
can work out if that's true." - Leigh

That's exactly what I want to do with your help. My first thought was
that in order to cover the whole web, we must have meetings that are
about 12 hours apart, which is what you did. Now I'm interested to
know what logic led me and everyone else to believe that this was
correct? I know that I had some logical reason to believe this but now
it escapes me. Maybe someone can remind me of what I must have been
thinking?

How are people in this course (or community) distributed around the
globe?

On Sep 11, 5:03 pm, "Leigh Blackall" <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that simple.. it just worked out that way. If I was thinking that
> simply, I would have probably just gone 9am and pm UTC
>

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:37 AM, artie <artistsforanar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My guess is that you chose times that were about 12 hours apart so as to
> > accomodate those who lived 180º apart on a latitude. Is that guess about
> > right?
>
> > 2008/9/11 Leigh Blackall <leighblack...@gmail.com>
>
> >  Artie said:
>
> >>  No where in the course outline can I find a schedule of meetings. What
>
> >> That's right Artie, there is no schedule for meetings because they are set
> >> as and when needed. The two times where arrived at through general
> >> discussion on this forum - perhaps a little before you joined. I figured
> >> that 9pm UTC and 8am UTC gave almost everyone a chance to join. See if you
> >> can work out if that's true. Here's a hint<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/>
> >> .

> SL - Leroy Goalposthttp://learnonline.wordpress.com- Hide quoted text -

artie

Sep 11, 2008, 6:50:24 PM9/11/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
How did you figure out these times? Did you ask everyone? Was there
any comprimising between times in order to come up with a happy
medium? The reason I am asking is because I found it peculiar that
ElderBob was attending one of the meetings at 3:00 am!

On Sep 11, 5:03 pm, "Leigh Blackall" <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that simple.. it just worked out that way. If I was thinking that
> simply, I would have probably just gone 9am and pm UTC
>

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:37 AM, artie <artistsforanar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My guess is that you chose times that were about 12 hours apart so as to
> > accomodate those who lived 180º apart on a latitude. Is that guess about
> > right?
>
> > 2008/9/11 Leigh Blackall <leighblack...@gmail.com>
>
> >  Artie said:
>
> >>  No where in the course outline can I find a schedule of meetings. What
>
> >> That's right Artie, there is no schedule for meetings because they are set
> >> as and when needed. The two times where arrived at through general
> >> discussion on this forum - perhaps a little before you joined. I figured
> >> that 9pm UTC and 8am UTC gave almost everyone a chance to join. See if you
> >> can work out if that's true. Here's a hint<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/>
> >> .

> SL - Leroy Goalposthttp://learnonline.wordpress.com- Hide quoted text -

artie

Sep 11, 2008, 10:17:05 PM9/11/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Now I remember what my thinking was about meetings. It seemed logical
to me that if I was to meet with everyone in a worldwide web community
in the same day, I would have to attend two meetings that were spaced
approximately 12 hours apart. So I wonder, Leigh, if what you had in
mind was that each participant would be able to attend at least one
meeting, and/or that you would need to attend both meetings?
> > SL - Leroy Goalposthttp://learnonline.wordpress.com-Hide quoted text -

Leigh Blackall

Sep 11, 2008, 10:55:58 PM9/11/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Both meetings are about the same thing so only one meeting is needed to be attended. Having 2 meetings is designed for people from different time zones a chance to catch a meeting. The other thing is that it give me 2 chances to get the facilitation of a meeting right :) So I'd say the selected UTC times of 9pm and 8am where primarily so I could attend (those UTC times are 9am and 8pm NZ time)

If for example one of those meetings ended up being 3am in ElderBob's time zone (I don't think it was because he was cooking dinner when he joined a meeting last) then he would have the other option of around 12 hours later, making it 3pm for him.

Basically, 12 hours difference for a repeat of the same meeting makes it either:

1am or 1pm
2am or 2pm
3am or 3pm
4am or 4pm
5am or 5pm
6am or 6pm
7am or 7pm
8am or 8pm
9am or 9pm
10am or 10pm
11am or 11pm
12noon or 12midnight

Everyone has a chance then. We did shift one of the meetings forward 1 hour because one person indicated that would be better for them.

I hope you understand

artie

Sep 12, 2008, 11:31:47 AM9/12/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
I understand because it is the same logic that I have (or had). You are right about ElderBob but I thought I heard hm say that it was 3 am! Maybe we need some more listeners to put their ears on this, take a few notes and post whether I heard correctly or whether ElderBob just made a mistake (maybe it was 3 pm?)

But items like these are significant.

If there are two separate meetings because of time differences that people have, then regardless f the fact that they cover the same topic, they constitutes meetings of distinct groups. All we have to do is look at the attendance of each meeting. If the larger part are people who were not at the other meeting option then they constitute a separate membership of a distinct group. If the attendance is the same, then they are the same group and do not require a second meeting for the same topic.

So let's take a look at the facts.