::{{FOC}}:: Re: Newbies and experts

Greg Barcelon

Jul 31, 2008, 8:30:43 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Lynne. I am one of those lost ones and am encouraged by your post. I am lost not so much because of the ‘noise’ but because I am so busy with other face to  face activities I am currently involved in. I am out of town and I am barely able to get to my e-mails and read them. As I was browsing through some of the contributions since the start of the course I was wondering where motivating, encouraging, supporting the quiet and lost ones fit in facilitating on line. I was wondering whether there are any guides as to when and how the Facilitator should come in and play those roles. Of course, as it is happening here, the community itself can take it up – unless of course most members are more on the ‘you sink or swim’ mindset.

Cheers,

Greg B.

Jul 31, 2008, 9:43:02 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg, good point. What do we do to motivate, encourage and support the quiet ones?

For my effort as the course facilitator (which btw has a set timeframe to work by of 6 hours per week) I focus on that little bit extra for the paying participants.

I will try to ensure that they feel supported and on track and not too distracted by the extra (but very valuable) stuff that the wider group brings. If anything I do for them could be useful to the wider group, then I do it through the wider group. But I also make the effort of telephoning the paying participants on a regular basis just to check up on them and reassure them on what needs to be done and what doesn't (in terms of their formal course requirements). Also, assessment of learning begins for paid participants with a view to awarding them a certificate, assessment feedback, and a grade at the end of the course. They each have their reasons for needing that, such as job promotion or CV.

For those who have not or are not formally enrolling (the majority) I want to ensure that they remain with the course because they are not only a valuable resource for everyone, but because we believe that the opportunity to learn should be freely available to everyone - and so we want to find ways where formal and informal learning can be complimentary.

For anyone who is considering formal enrollment so as to access the extra learning support and the assessment and accreditation services, you can do this at any time. We are all doing exactly the same things in terms of the weekly to-do lists on the wiki. So by the time the course is finished, everyone will have the opportunity to be assessed and be issued a formal certificate from the hosting institution. Only thing is, the sooner you formally enrol the sooner you get that extra learning support.

So far this model has been very manageable in terms of time from a facilitator's perspective, and is proving successful (at this early stage) in terms of learning outcomes. The breakthrough in terms of this model being considered a success by those nasty economic rationalists is if around 10% of the informally enrolled decide to formally enroll. That would be 8-9 of you ;)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Jul 31, 2008, 9:57:09 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Leigh,
Thank you for sharing how you motivate, encourage, and support online participants by talking on the telephone. I had never considered that as an option. Do you also apply face-to-face support?

Nellie

Leigh Blackall

Jul 31, 2008, 10:01:42 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nellie,

Do you also apply face-to-face support?

Well, as yet there is not a budget for me to visit formal participants, but if I were in their area I would certainly pay them a visit and log it as a telephone call :)

Bronwyn Stuckey

Jul 31, 2008, 10:06:50 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Leigh's generous reflection on his process of facilitation at this stage
raises some more very interesting questions ...

* How much facilitation is visible and public and how much is
back-channel?
* How do we decide whether pubic or private communication might be best?
* What technologies best support whole of group and one-to-one
facilitation?
* How do balance the public and private - one-to-one communication
can be very time consuming (as is group ;-))

Here's hoping one of these questions might fire up some passions for
members of the group - maybe some new experts in our group ;-) .

Bron

Leigh Blackall

Jul 31, 2008, 10:09:44 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
I might add, that being a formally enrolled person makes you a "student" with the institution sponsoring the course. In this case it is Manukau Institute of Technology. MIT has contracted me and Otago Polytechnic to develop and facilitate their course. Being a student with MIT gives you access to a variety of generic support services that they have. I am not sure what those support services are, but typically they are literacy support, disability support, library services, and some form of technology support - such as a telephone helpdesk.

Now, about that last one, I happen to know that MITs IT support is typical of most educational institutions in Australia and New Zealand - they are not yet capable of supporting people in the use of social media and social networking technologies (what we are using in this course). In a way, that is why this course exists - to raise awareness of the relevance to learning - and so the educational institutions - of this sort of technology.

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Jul 31, 2008, 10:11:29 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Leigh,
I didn't mean paying visits to people. I was wondering if you were doing a blended (hybrid) learning course.

Leigh Blackall

Jul 31, 2008, 10:17:58 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry Nellie.. no we are not at present. This course is all there is. I think it might be a good idea to run a blended group along side this one - doing the same course but with regular workshops. This might be a great way to assist people who are not as confident with the technology and who could access such sessions. Ironically, there isn't enough interest locally here as yet to warrant us setting up such a thing. No where near as much as there is internationally and online.

When we run our course mini conference in week 13.. perhaps someone would like to facilitate a panel discussion about the structure of this course?

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Jul 31, 2008, 10:26:09 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Leigh,
I may be interested in moderating a panel discussion on full vs. blended learning courses.
Nellie

Greg Barcelon

Jul 31, 2008, 10:55:25 PM7/31/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

Hi Leigh,

Thanks. I appreciate that. What is the cost of enrolling as a paying participant. Somehow, I missed that one.

Kind regards,

Greg B.

Aug 1, 2008, 12:45:39 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg, I'll find out. I need to work out a way to get around International fees (which are higher than local)... hopefully I will find a way, if not - I'll just lay it all on the table.. will know by next week.

Illya Arnet-Clark

Aug 1, 2008, 4:02:44 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
I have a suggestion to help with the technical support and to encourage the development of the course, moving away from the discussion of technology without disregarding its importance in online communities.

In many courses there is a buddy system. This might prove particularly useful here, as everyone has something to offer.
In a course I took 2 years ago, I was in the same situation where people were talking about blogs, wikis, chat, etc and I had absolutely no idea of these things. Quite naturally someone turned up who helped me get an idea of them and was there whenever I needed help. At the same time we were in discussion with the content of the course and had great discussions with others. This was my first step in a direction that has since taken me into the realms of online communities and exploration of tools to facilitate learning.

I would be thrilled to be a buddy with whomever would be interested, and am very willing to help out with blogs, etc. and would love the help others can give in areas of facilitating communities.

cristina costa

Aug 1, 2008, 4:16:49 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Illya and all,

What a great idea. I truly agree with you. Having a buddy, someone who feel will be there ready to help you out is always a good thing. It gives you a feel of safety, of not being adrift. I always got a lot of support when I fisrt statred with leraning technologies and I think that is what kept me going - that "humanware" - the fact I know that on the other side of the screen I would always find someone to help me out if need be.

I am also willing to buddy one or more people.

Looking forward to this course. I have just started and I am already enjoying it.

Kind regards from Manchester, UK

cris
--
Cristina Costa
Site: http://www.knowmansland.com/

olubodun olufemi

Aug 1, 2008, 5:03:41 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I strongly believe in having a buddy. I was lost sometimes ago too and if I had a person always to ask some little questions I wouldn't have withrawn from the discussion.

How do we go about it then?

Do we select who we will like as a buddy or the facilitator of this discussion will arrange this.

Cheers,

Olufemi

Olubodun Olufemi J. [ CDT; RDT (Nig) M.Ed; Pg Dip. Ed; Pg Dip. E-Teaching & E-course Dev. (UNU/GVU)]
University of Lagos, College of Medicine,
School of Dental Sciences,
P.M.B. 12003, Lagos Nigeria.
Office: 23401-4802011
eFacilitator
Dodo Village

Aug 1, 2008, 6:20:28 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi João,

Cool!
I'll gladly be your buddy, although I think you are being a bit too modest! ;-)

@Olufemi - maybe we need to create a list...

Leigh Blackall

Aug 1, 2008, 6:27:18 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Good to see the buddy idea working out here.

As a suggestion, we could use the wiki talk page as a way to list our names and form partnerships..(?) and we could also try using the meeting this Tuesday (3am UTC) to buddy up.

Joao Alves

Aug 1, 2008, 7:45:12 AM8/1/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cristina. Glad that you are my buddy. :-) I will try to do my best.

Joao

illya...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2008, 5:00:17 PM8/3/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Hi Leigh
I'm trying to catch up and see that the idea of buddies has been a
topic.

Is there a place on the wiki or elsewhere where people can buddy up?
I'd gladly help out, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make in on
Tuesday, though I'll try.
(to anyone lookingfor a buddy, feel free to send me a message!)

Please let me know so I can add myself to the list.

btw- I think this course has got to a great start and has generated a
lot of thought-provoking conservation!

On 1 Aug., 12:27, "Leigh Blackall" <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good to see the buddy idea working out here.
>
> As a suggestion, we could use the wiki talk page as a way to list our names
> and form partnerships..(?) and we could also try using the meeting this
> Tuesday (3am UTC) to buddy up.
>
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM, cristina costa <cristinac...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi João,
>
> > Cool!
> > I'll gladly be your buddy, although I think you are being a bit too modest!
> > ;-)
>
> > @Olufemi - maybe we need to create a list...
>
> > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Joao Alves <j.alve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Illya, Cristina and all,
>
> >> First, I am glad you joined the course, Cristina. Illya's idea of having a
> >> buddy is excellent. I would love if one of you wouldn't mind being my buddy.
>
> >> I am still not very savvy but I would be also available to buddy of one or
> >> more people.
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Joao
>
> >> 2008/8/1 olubodun olufemi <ojolubo...@yahoo.com>
>
> >>  Hi all,

Leigh Blackall

Aug 3, 2008, 5:28:08 PM8/3/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hello Greg - and anyone else interested in formally enrolling in the course.

The fee for internationals is NZ$966
The fee for New Zealanders is NZ$360

The reason for the difference is because the NZ Government subsidises the course fee for New Zealand citizens. So unless you are a Kiwi, or can quickly find and marry a Kiwi, you'll have to pay full fee.

For that fee you will get:

  1. Personal support from me (in the form of regular telephone calls) for the duration of the course
  2. Assessment of your learning
  3. Certification from MIT (Manukau Institute of Technology) for Facilitating Online Communities (formally Facilitating eLearning Communities) which is a course under the Graduate Certificate in Applied eLearning - recognized Nationally in NZ under the NZ Qualifications Framework
  4. Access to MITs student services (Library catalogs, support services, associations)
Hope that helps to inform you decision Greg.

Leigh Blackall

Aug 3, 2008, 5:37:35 PM8/3/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
G'day Illya:

Is there a place on the wiki or elsewhere where people can buddy up?

Glad you asked! I was waiting for someone to suggest such a thing, so here it is.

Jeffrey Keefer

Aug 3, 2008, 9:24:15 PM8/3/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

Leigh, I think the idea of a buddy sign-up page is a great idea.

Is there a link on the WikiEducator homepage to this page? I could not find one, and am hoping that perhaps for organizational purposes we can have links to everything (such as the buddy thread) from the one central home page.

Looking forward for week 2!

-----
Jeffrey Keefer

jef...@silenceandvoice.com

Blog: www.silenceandvoice.com

Website: www.jeffreykeefer.com

Leigh Blackall

Aug 3, 2008, 11:51:16 PM8/3/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeffery,

I have added a link to the Buddy page on the main page of the wiki (up the top)

Jeffrey Keefer

Aug 4, 2008, 12:04:16 AM8/4/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

Leigh-

Great!

I know, the page is a wiki and this is something we should be empowered to do on our own, but the hold of unidirectional education is a strong tradition to break.

-----
Jeffrey Keefer

jef...@silenceandvoice.com

Blog: http://silenceandvoice.com

Website: http://www.jeffreykeefer.com

cristina costa

Aug 4, 2008, 3:25:16 AM8/4/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Morning, Good afternoon or good evening, depending of your time and place.

Have been away from the computer most weekend, but am back now.

Sorry I had to miss the synchronous session but it was 4am here in  the UK!
Have we started "budding" people on teh wiki?

I will check it to see if I can buddy someone else. I already have Joao as a Buddy! ;-)

Going to check the rest of the emails now. Looking forward to this week!
Best,
cristina

Greg Barcelon

Aug 4, 2008, 5:03:59 AM8/4/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Leigh,

Taking all things into account I’d opt to stay as a non-paying enrolee in the course for the moment.

Cheers,

Greg B.

Joao Alves

Aug 4, 2008, 11:43:58 AM8/4/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Sorry for not attending the synchronous session at Elluminate but it
was 4 a.m. here in Portugal. At that time I was sleeping like an
angel. :-) Looking forward to listen to the recording.
Cheers,
Joao