A bit of thinking on Learning Communities

1 view

John Pallister

Aug 31, 2008, 1:05:04 PM8/31/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Individuals with common interests, anywhere in the world, being able
to communicate and collaborate with others to develop their interest
or move their thinking forward. Individuals getting together somehow
to learn; to learn not in a formal classroom and not in isolation, but
to learn as part of a community, a community that is enabled and
supported by Internet technologies and tools. A community of
individual learners, who are happy to share what they know, what they
are doing and what they are thinking with others. By sharing their
learning they would be stimulating and supporting the learning of
others.

Sounds like a good idea, and the good news, web supported Communities
of Practice are here today, available to anyone who wants to create
one, or join one.

I have followed some of the discussions at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/facilitating-online-communities?hl=en
and have begun to relate them to my experience of setting up a
community. In January 2008 I set up a Community of Practice, a group
of people who share the an interest in ePortfolios and PLTs.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/eportfolios-and-plts?hl=en You do
not need to be a ‘brain surgeon’ to be able to handle the ICT/
technical bits needed to set up a community but you do need a reason
or some motivation to make you do it. It took 10 minutes to create the
Group using Google Groups. I decided to do it, my motivation, simply
because having searched many different discussion groups/forums etc, I
was disappointed to find that ePortfolios and PLTs were not really
attracting much attention. I thought that they deserved more
attention. I suppose that was the stage where my arrogance/self belief/
enthusiasm came into play, I decided to do it.

The Group that I ‘decided’ needed to exist, does not include everyone
who has an interest in ePortfolios and PLTs, it only includes some. I
began to think about how Communities of Practice do actually ‘start’
or come into existence and how they evolve or develop.

To find a group of other people who have a similar interest is not
enough. There has to be some catalyst that brings individuals together
and initiates a dialogue. With your patience, and with my Reflective
Learner hat on, I will look back at the ePortfolio and PLTs group, and
try to explain how the 100+ individuals did come together.

I invited some people who I knew had an interest in ePortfolios and
skills; I, and early members, promoted the group through Blog posts
and discussions. Once members began to post to the Group, other people
found the group through internet searches. Although at this stage the
Group did develop a life of its own, it did need regular ‘pump
priming’ posts to keep the discussions going. I need to learn more
about the dynamics of Communities of Practice. Part on me thinks that
if a group does need regular posts to keep it going, there might not
be a real reason for the community to exist, or that a community must
have a ‘minimum’ membership level that will enable it to survive and
develop.

I am beginning to think that Communities of Practice have a Life cycle
starting with the initial ‘coming-together’; moving through an active
phase, where a percentage of the group contribute, through to the
disbandment stage when discussions are either exhausted or some agreed
objective has been achieved.

For an individual to want to join a Community of Practice there has to
be something in it for them. They need to either learn something, be
able to influence something, to do something that will benefit others
or raise their personal status or self esteem. Some might enjoy the
opportunity to communicate with others or simply enjoy and value
belonging to a group of like minded people.

To join a community is the easy bit. Having joined, individuals tend
sit back and follow discussions before they decide to contribute. If
the discussion is not of interest to them they will not contribute.
Once a Community of Practice has been formed there must be some ‘pump
priming’ discussions or activities that will engage others in the
Community, and will encourage them to contribute. It is not enough
that Web 2 provides the tools that enable individuals to contribute
and collaborate, the vast majority of individuals need encouragement
and support before they will participate and contribute. A lot needs
to be done to encourage and support individuals so that they do
contribute, participate and collaborate. Somehow, for Communities of
Practice to be ‘successful’, we need to encourage learners to develop
an attitude where they value their own thinking and believe that it
deserves to be shared with others

Effective participation is an important skill for learner of all ages.

Gabriela Sellart

Sep 1, 2008, 4:08:29 AM9/1/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
. Somehow, for Communities of
> Practice to be ‘successful’, we need to encourage learners to develop
> an attitude where they value their own thinking and believe that it
> deserves to be shared with others

Hi John, I wrote something about this last sentence on my blog. I'm
copying it here:

Several things I liked from John's post. First of all, the somehow, I
guess he doesn't say somehow out of lack of knowledge on the how,
rather, on the contrary. I don't think there is a magic formula to
encourage the development such an attitude, so you have to use all
your resources. What I mean is: if this fails, try that.

Secondly I liked the choice of the word attitude. Attitude is related
to action, and it's attitude what moves us to communicate. Moreover,
it's a person's attitude what we first notice about them. It's
people's attitude rather than knowledge what creates links within a
community.

And finally, believe that it deserves to be shared.I think belief is
related to validation and it is sharing our thoughts the way we
validate them.

http://foc08.tumblr.com/post/48242972/attitude
Gabriela

valerie

Sep 1, 2008, 10:02:13 AM9/1/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
This is quite interesting and worthy of reference. Is it posted to a
blog somewhere?

Some of us are set up to blog and cite blogs, as our FOC08
deliverables. I follow the emails, but depend on the blog postings for
the meat of the course.

Thanks

On Aug 31, 10:05 am, John Pallister <jpallis...@aol.com> wrote:
> Individuals with common interests, anywhere in the world, being able
> to communicate and collaborate with others to develop their interest...

John Pallister

Sep 1, 2008, 3:00:56 PM9/1/08
to Facilitating Online Communities

valerie

Sep 2, 2008, 11:24:53 AM9/2/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
I could, but I won't. <smile>

Having all the activity submissions, reflecting, and conversations
take place via blogging is an interesting facilitation and learning
methodology. I think it is important to make every effort to follow
the FOC08 program as defined by Leigh.

Online communities have used forums for 20 years. What's the learning
experience in continuing with that?

On Sep 1, 12:00 pm, John Pallister <jpallis...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi Valerie - you could usehttp://groups.google.co.uk/group/eportfolios-and-plts/browse_thread/t...

John Pallister

Sep 2, 2008, 2:00:23 PM9/2/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Good evening Valerie and all - what about http://eduspaces.net/jpallister/weblog/441756.html
- would that do the job?

Your last post got me thinking, not really sure about the FOC08
program, I am just drifting; following others that are in other
communities that I belong to. I am not an academic, I am a practising
teacher with an enthusiasm for ePortfolios and increasingly for Web 2
tools. I have developed the confidence to contribute, always
explaining that my thinking is from my experience and not serious
research.

I am not sure about your last question about the value of contributing
to Forums. Groupware has many advantages over simple eMail List
servers. You can deliver email posts; but you have a lot more
functionality. As far as I can see there is no right or wrong way to
use Google Groups, I tend to 'Blog' into it, I write posts that are
too long - I think Google Groups could support a community where
members were happy post/share through Blogs.

'what is the learning experience in continuing with that?' = whatever
learning experiences that we identify as being provided by Online
Communities

hope I have not messed up the master plan

valerie

Sep 3, 2008, 10:41:38 AM9/3/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Thanks John. Although I thought you might have just pasted your
previous group email posting text into the blog, What is in the blog
doesn't include all the same information.

I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that you were participating in the
FOC08 "course" as you have posted regularly to this group. While I
have no problem with email groups in general, the FOC08 course places
an emphasis on blogs as a means of communication. I had not
participated in a course structured this way before. I am very
interested to see how it works out.

The continued reliance by some on the emails is an interesting pattern
- why is this happening when the instructions to blog are clear?

On Sep 2, 11:00 am, John Pallister <jpallis...@aol.com> wrote:
> Good evening Valerie and all  - what abouthttp://eduspaces.net/jpallister/weblog/441756.html

Amy Lenzo

Sep 17, 2008, 11:34:13 AM9/17/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valerie,

One reason I continue to be interested in this mailing list as a medium for
communication is that it (at least potentially) addresses the whole group at
once.

I love the blog interaction but have just not been able to get my head
around following all of the 80-odd blogs in our group, so I've used a
combination of this list and the blog posts I've been able to read to get a
sense of who I'm most interested in following.

Amy

valerie9/3/08 7:41 AM

artie

Sep 17, 2008, 11:45:58 AM9/17/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
IU set my dedicated FOC08 blog up with a blogroll of all blogs in my sidebar. It was a mile long and most of the blogs are not dedicated FOC08 blogs, neither are they being updated. So I am slowly separating the wheat from the chaff. We are in week 8 and I've trimmed it down to 25 blogs. It will be interesting to see how many blogs actually survive the complete 16 week course.

Leigh Blackall

Sep 17, 2008, 4:52:43 PM9/17/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Artie: I've trimmed it down to 25 blogs

Yeah, that's my sense too Artie, there seems to be about that many consistently posting, but every now and then someone outside that focused few posts something either directly or indirectly related to FOC08, for example Nancy White who is hardly someone who needs to "do" this course (being a bit of a world expert and all) but is casually with us out of curiosity and a sense of wanting to help if and when she can.

Amy and Artie (and everyone else).. there may be 80 or so blogs to follow, but assuming you ARE using an RSS NewsReader that shouldn't be difficult to manage because as Artie points out, only 25 or so are regularly updating.

Try not to let the number of people "engaging or not engaging" become a distraction for you and your own investigation of the topics (assuming you are here to DO the course).

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

Grant Comber

Sep 20, 2008, 10:43:33 AM9/20/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
HI Valerie

Hope I can join in . Leigh sent me link to this email group as latecomer to his course.  I am also a newbie to the whole elearning/ecommunities stuff. Could I invite you to look at my blogg & give me some feedback please - as a novice all advice is appreciated.
From Gradual Grant

Grant Comber

Sep 20, 2008, 10:50:15 AM9/20/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valerie

Grant jumped in  here. Latecomer to Leighs course -he put me onto this emailgroup -trying to hook up with others.  Have set up a blogg which needs feedback/advice? Heres link

http://gac-outofaafrica.blogspot.com/

 All comments appreited as I am finding my feet in this game. Thanx.

Gradual Grant

Grant Comber

Sep 20, 2008, 10:55:08 AM9/20/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
HI Amy

Grant here.  Leigh gave me link to this emailgroup as a latecomer.  As you say great to see all comments in one venue.  Sorry to hijack you but can I ask you to hook onto my blogg - as a newbie founding my feet any feedback is appreciated for my elearning curve.  Heres my link;

http://gac-outofaafrica.blogspot.com/

Many Thanx
Gradual Grant

Grant Comber

Sep 20, 2008, 11:05:02 AM9/20/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

Grant here.  You sound like a seasoned Blogger and I would appreciate any feedback on my blogg just set up as a latecomer (I am a new kid on the block as far as this stuff goes) - I am gradually trying to catch up (work through the course stuff) with you mainstream guys:

http://gac-outofaafrica.blogspot.com/

Thanx heaps
Gradual Grant

Grant Comber

Sep 20, 2008, 11:10:47 AM9/20/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Artie

Hope my blogg is one of the survivors you been talking about.  Leigh gave me a link to here to meet some of you guys.  As a latecomer I am still in catch up mode but like the hare and the tortoise race this tortoise hopes to get there.  Appreciate any feedback on my blogg so I can learn.  Link to hook on is:

http://gac-outofaafrica.blogspot.com/

Heap thanx
Gradual Grant

Sarah Stewart

Sep 20, 2008, 3:00:35 PM9/20/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

I continue to support email groups because email continues to be the lowest common denominator, especially when you are working with people on a voluntary basis and not in a course. In a course, you can make people do what you want them to do ie 'make' (or at least try) them use blogs. But if you are trying to develop/facilitate a community with people who are unused to technology, then email is a good place to start. Most people know and have email. Other technologies like blogs and platforms like Ning can be a lot more challenging.  cheers Sarah

valerie

Sep 21, 2008, 12:43:34 PM9/21/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Sarah - thanks for the reminder. For some of us, it has been a long
time since we were "new" to email.

Email remains one of the most useful and essential communication media
for almost everyone, whether we think about it or not. If I had to
give up one means of communication, it would NOT be email. I'd be lost
without it.

However, it is interesting to consider how other forms of
communication provide opportunities and challenges. Being expected to
rely on blogs in FOC08 has been an important learning experience.

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Sep 21, 2008, 12:57:13 PM9/21/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valerie,

Now, you are in my email box. What a small world! This must be what George Siemens means by connectivism? Are we turning into some kind of learning community because  many of us in FOC08,  CCK08, and in CO09?

Warm wishes,
Nellie
http://connecting-online.blogspot.com

John Pallister

Sep 21, 2008, 1:31:56 PM9/21/08
to Facilitating Online Communities
Hi Grant - good luck to you if you are trying to make sense out of
this social networking, community of practice bit. I think I have
concluded, from my watching/observation , that if you ever get to the
stage that you can actually define something to do with ICT+, and get
others to agree to definitions, the thing that you have defined will
be out of date. Things will have moved on. Advice, for what it is
worth, don't get too hung up on definitions, on-line community =
something to do with people who have a common interest using some ICT
tools to help them. As with any community they do not just happen,
somebody needs to take the initiative, somebody must be committed to
support and move the community forward.

I watched in amazement as grown men and women who I respect and to
some extent follow, began to get excited about being 'EduPunks'.
http://steve-wheeler.blogspot.com/2008/09/unleash-anarchy.html , but
then it does not take much thinking to realise that there is something
in the concept. A group of individuals with a desire to express
something of their individual identity, and with a desire to explore
none 'establishment' methods of delivering/providing/enabling
learning. Things really moving too fast for us to be able define and
parcel everthing up in ways that we have become used to doing

John