On Facilitating (Threaded Discussion) Participation in On-line Communities

Greg Barcelon

Sep 2, 2008, 9:20:37 AM9/2/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com

If one were to take the Internet as one on-line community, then the term Facilitating is possibly a contradiction in terms – who is the Facilitator of the internet? John’s (Re: A bit of thinking on Learning Communities) first couple of lines said it all “Individuals with common interests, anywhere in the world, being able to communicate and collaborate with others to develop their interest or move their thinking forward.  Individuals getting together somehow to learn; to learn not in a formal classroom and not in isolation, but to learn as part of a community, a community that is enabled and supported by Internet technologies and tools.” [click here for more]

artie

Sep 2, 2008, 8:46:35 PM9/2/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
"I now realize that what might be helpful is for the Facilitator to periodically summarize what has happened so far, with specific references to what was contributed by who."
Now you're on to something but I would take it a step further. I would put that responsibility upon the participants themselves. And I think I would call it an "evaluation". Of course an evaluation must be objective. So what objectives could be stated? What would be some objective criteria?

Amy Lenzo

Sep 2, 2008, 10:12:36 PM9/2/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
This is a fascinating question, Greg.
I’ll definitely follow your links, but even before doing that, I found your question leading me into a blog post I wanted to write before we finish the last two weeks’ inquiry on types of facilitation... On more group-led, collaborative “facilitation” styles. Have a look if you’re interested: http://tinyurl.com/5m37st

Best,

Amy

...o0o...
Amy Lenzo
a...@beautydialogues.com
FOC08 Blog: http://allislight.typepad.com/facilitating_online_commu/

Greg Barcelon9/2/08 6:20 AM

If one were to take the Internet as one on-line community, then the term Facilitating is possibly a contradiction in terms – who is the Facilitator of the internet <http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/columns/ajs_who_controls_internet.html> ? John’s (Re: A bit of thinking on Learning Communities) first couple of lines said it all “Individuals with common interests, anywhere in the world, being able to communicate and collaborate with others to develop their interest or move their thinking forward.  Individuals getting together somehow to learn; to learn not in a formal classroom and not in isolation, but to learn as part of a community, a community that is enabled and supported by Internet technologies and tools.” [click here for more] <http://servant02.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/on-facilitating-threaded-discussion-participation-in-on-line-communities/>

Leigh Blackall

Sep 2, 2008, 11:50:03 PM9/2/08
to facilitating-on...@googlegroups.com
I very much like were this is going! I wonder if when we can see the Internet as 1 big platform that we migrate across depending on our information and communication needs - that facilitation skills become more concrete and transferable.
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost