Annual iBSc Lecture - Department of Science and Technology Studies

Chiara Ambrosio

Jan 20, 2011, 3:15:21 PM1/20/11
to PHIL...@liverpool.ac.uk
Department of Science and Technology Studies, University College London

Intercalated BSc in Philosophy, Medicine and Society
Annual iBSc Lecture

Dr. Rupert Sheldrake
The Extended Mind: Recent Experimental Evidence

17:30pm, Bedford Way LG04
(F5 on the map<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/locations/ucl-maps/map2_low_res> )

Abstract:
We have been brought up to believe that the mind is located inside the head.
But Dr. Sheldrake argues that there are good reasons for thinking that this
view is much too limited. His recent experimental results suggest that
people can influence others at a distance just by looking at them, even if
they look from behind and if all sensory clues are eliminated. Animals can
be affected by human looks, and vice versa. People's intentions can also
seem to be detectable telepathically by animals from miles away. Hundreds of
recent tests have also shown that some people can tell who is calling them
before they pick up the phone. Our minds seem to extend out beyond our
brains both through attention and intention. Rupert Sheldrake will show how
his hypothesis of morphic fields could help provide an explanation.

*Rupert Sheldrake, Ph.D. is a biologist and author of more than 80
scientific papers and several books, including "A New Science of Life"
and "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home".
He was a Fellow of Clare College, Cambridge and Research Fellow of the
Royal Society. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Noetic Sciences in
California, a visiting Professor at the Graduate Institute in Connecticut
and lives in London. His web site is www.sheldrake.org

--
Dr. Chiara Ambrosio
Teaching Fellow in Philosophy of Science
Department of Science and Technology Studies
University College London

Tel. (office) +44 02076792846
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/fellows/ambrosio/index.htm

Messages to the list are archived at http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/philos-l.html.
Prolonged discussions should be moved to chora: enrol via
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/chora.html.
Other philosophical resources on the Web can be found at http://www.liv.ac.uk/pal.

Chiara Ambrosio

Jan 21, 2011, 10:07:38 AM1/21/11
to PHIL...@liverpool.ac.uk
Dear List Members,

Apologies for the missing date. Below you will find the complete
information. And apologies for having to clog your in-box twice with the
same lecture advertisement!

Chiara