PROBLEM: oops in 2.6.21.1 after bringing up the network

1 view

Brett Ryland

Apr 29, 2007, 8:01:08 AM4/29/07
to linux-...@vger.kernel.org
Hi,
I am consistently getting a kernel oops from a vanilla 2.6.21.1 kernel. It
also occurs in vanilla 2.6.21, but not in 2.6.20.8. The relevant section of
the kernel is networking, in particular the sis900 module (I think).
The attached file contains the oops and the information asked for on the site
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html for reporting
kernel oopses. The oops fully crashes my computer and leaves the capslock and
numlock leds flashing, so the oops is transcribed by hand from a photo
(hopefully I haven't made a mistake, I do still have the photo if it's
needed).

I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so please CC any questions/solutions to
me.

Regards,
Nappers.

kernel_bug_report

Michal Piotrowski

Apr 29, 2007, 8:15:55 AM4/29/07
to Brett Ryland
Hi Brett,

I added your report to known regressions
(http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions). Please send your .config
file.

Regards,
Michal

--
Michal K. K. Piotrowski
Kernel Monkeys

Brett Ryland

Apr 29, 2007, 8:34:57 AM4/29/07
to linux-...@vger.kernel.org
Hi Michal,

My .config file for 2.6.21.1 is attached.

Regards,
Brett.

--
Brett Ryland
PhD Student, IFS, Massey University

config-2.6.21.1

Manuel Metz

Apr 30, 2007, 8:35:50 AM4/30/07
to linux-...@vger.kernel.org
Brett Ryland wrote:
> Hi,
> I am consistently getting a kernel oops from a vanilla 2.6.21.1 kernel. It
> also occurs in vanilla 2.6.21, but not in 2.6.20.8. The relevant section of
> the kernel is networking, in particular the sis900 module (I think).
> The attached file contains the oops and the information asked for on the site
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html for reporting
> kernel oopses. The oops fully crashes my computer and leaves the capslock and
> numlock leds flashing, so the oops is transcribed by hand from a photo
> (hopefully I haven't made a mistake, I do still have the photo if it's
> needed).
>
> I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so please CC any questions/solutions to
> me.
>
> Regards,
> Nappers.

Hi, I have the same problem here on an ASUS laptop with sis network
card. The system worked fine with kernel 2.6.21-rc7-mm2 and 2.6.20.7,
but crashes with 2.6.21.1.

Manuel

.config
oops.kernel-2.6.21.1.txt

Chuck Ebbert

Apr 30, 2007, 5:23:39 PM4/30/07
to Manuel Metz

Manuel Metz

May 1, 2007, 5:46:02 AM5/1/07
to Chuck Ebbert
Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Manuel Metz wrote:
>> Brett Ryland wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am consistently getting a kernel oops from a vanilla 2.6.21.1 kernel. It
>>> also occurs in vanilla 2.6.21, but not in 2.6.20.8. The relevant section of
>>> the kernel is networking, in particular the sis900 module (I think).
>>> The attached file contains the oops and the information asked for on the site
>>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html for reporting
>>> kernel oopses. The oops fully crashes my computer and leaves the capslock and
>>> numlock leds flashing, so the oops is transcribed by hand from a photo
>>> (hopefully I haven't made a mistake, I do still have the photo if it's
>>> needed).
>>>
>>> I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so please CC any questions/solutions to
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nappers.
>> Hi, I have the same problem here on an ASUS laptop with sis network
>> card. The system worked fine with kernel 2.6.21-rc7-mm2 and 2.6.20.7,
>> but crashes with 2.6.21.1.
>>

> Fixed by this:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=dc5a144991ba803bc8afded105c9db1dea0e57ab
>
> Look here before reporting bugs to linux-kernel:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions

As far as I can tell, it's working til now ... Thanks ...

Manuel

m.r...@seminar-shop.com

May 3, 2007, 8:15:19 AM5/3/07
Switch to 2.6.21.1-rc7 ... there is the bug fixed and the network is
up and running.