[ANNOUNCE] linux-net wiki

Stephen Hemminger

Oct 6, 2005, 5:00:18 PM10/6/05
to net...@vger.kernel.org, linu...@vger.kernel.org, linux-...@vger.kernel.org
There is now a wiki for Linux networking related activities and documentation.
http://linux-net.osdl.org
This is an experiment to see if it would be more useful to have
an online and editable documentation source rather than bits and pieces.

Also, it should interact well with Wikipedia, since we can link to have
the generic descriptions of things like protocols (TCP, bridging, bonding,
VLAN's,...) and the Linux implementation.

I filled in my stuff, and Acme and Ian have been adding DCCP and
the TODO list.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemm...@osdl.org>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger

Jeff V. Merkey

Oct 6, 2005, 5:50:24 PM10/6/05
to Stephen Hemminger, net...@vger.kernel.org, linu...@vger.kernel.org, linux-...@vger.kernel.org
Stephen Hemminger wrote:

>There is now a wiki for Linux networking related activities and documentation.
> http://linux-net.osdl.org
>This is an experiment to see if it would be more useful to have
>an online and editable documentation source rather than bits and pieces.
>
>Also, it should interact well with Wikipedia, since we can link to have
>the generic descriptions of things like protocols (TCP, bridging, bonding,
>VLAN's,...) and the Linux implementation.
>
>I filled in my stuff, and Acme and Ian have been adding DCCP and
>the TODO list.

Nice site. I'll post the sources for the gcc Wikibuilder when I am done
with it and you can use it as well. Wikimedia extensions are
GPL of course.

Jeff

Greg KH

Oct 6, 2005, 9:26:22 PM10/6/05
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:00:07PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> There is now a wiki for Linux networking related activities and documentation.
> http://linux-net.osdl.org
> This is an experiment to see if it would be more useful to have
> an online and editable documentation source rather than bits and pieces.

Why not just work with the existing kernelnewbies wiki:
http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org
instead of creating another site?

thanks,

greg k-h

Ian McDonald

Oct 6, 2005, 9:34:48 PM10/6/05
to Greg KH, Stephen Hemminger, net...@vger.kernel.org, linu...@vger.kernel.org, linux-...@vger.kernel.org

> Why not just work with the existing kernelnewbies wiki:
> http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org
> instead of creating another site?

Having a quick look around and looking at the name in particular I
think they are different target audiences...

If it was kerneloldies.org it might be different ;-)

Ian

Stephen Hemminger

Oct 7, 2005, 12:44:03 AM10/7/05
to Greg KH, net...@vger.kernel.org, linu...@vger.kernel.org, linux-...@vger.kernel.org
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:24:54 -0700
Greg KH <gr...@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:00:07PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > There is now a wiki for Linux networking related activities and documentation.
> > http://linux-net.osdl.org
> > This is an experiment to see if it would be more useful to have
> > an online and editable documentation source rather than bits and pieces.
>
> Why not just work with the existing kernelnewbies wiki:
> http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org
> instead of creating another site?

Mainly because I started it out for my own linux networking projects,
then generalized it. If you look on kernelnewbies you will see that
there was already an MM wiki.

Diego Calleja

Oct 7, 2005, 4:16:44 AM10/7/05
to Ian McDonald, gr...@kroah.com, shemm...@osdl.org, net...@vger.kernel.org, linu...@vger.kernel.org, linux-...@vger.kernel.org, ri...@surriel.com
El Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:34:10 +1300,
Ian McDonald <imc...@gmail.com> escribió:

> > Why not just work with the existing kernelnewbies wiki:
> > http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org
> > instead of creating another site?
> >
> Having a quick look around and looking at the name in particular I
> think they are different target audiences...

The fact that it's called "kernelnewbies" doesn't meant it's targetted
only
to non-expert people - everybody, including me, you, Linus and all the
"core"
kernel hackers are "newbies" WRT to some parts of the kernel. The one t
hing
that can keep someone being a newbie forever is considering himself an
"expert". In fact you can find some linux kernel "gurus" there...

Also, kernelnewbies is not linux-specific either so there's a chance th
at even
gurus could learn something interesting (and teach something to others)

Or at least that has always been the intention of the kernelnewbies pro
ject.

(That doesn't mean I'm against the linux-net wiki, I just wanted to poi
nt out
that kernelnewbies isn't just for "newbies" ;)