[Haskell-cafe] Real World HAppS: Cabalized, Self-Demoing HAppS Tutorial (Version 3)

1 view

Thomas Hartman

Sep 12, 2008, 11:07:52 AM9/12/08
to haskell
I pushed a new version of happs-tutorial to the online demo at

http://happstutorial.com:5001 This is also on hackage: cabal install
happs-tutorial. (now version 3.)

or darcs get http://code.haskell.org/happs-tutorial for the latest

The demo/tutorial has the same basic functionality as the last release
-- just a login form essentially -- but a lot more bling now. Like
menu link items that change colors when the page is clicked. Also the
login form that gives sane error messages.

The focus for this release was on explaining how I used StringTemplate
with HAppS.

Hopefully in version 4 I'll finally get to State and Macid! And
hopefully some functionality that actually does something beyond just
showing what users have created logins :)

Thomas

Martin Huschenbett

Sep 17, 2008, 12:46:16 AM9/17/08
to Thomas Hartman, haskell
Hi all,

taking a look at this tutorial under Windows Vista I ran into a problem:

happs-tutorial depends on HAppS-state which again depends on the unix
package which doesn't work under windows.

So my question is: is there another way to compile HAppS-State and
happs-tutorial on windows?

Regards,

Martin.

Marc Weber

Sep 17, 2008, 8:05:23 AM9/17/08
to haskel...@haskell.org
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:32:04PM +0200, Martin Huschenbett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> taking a look at this tutorial under Windows Vista I ran into a problem:

You should get the latest darcs version which contains the conditional
cabal flag:
if !os(windows)
Build-Depends: unix
cpp-options: -DUNIX

Marc

Martin Huschenbett

Sep 17, 2008, 4:10:55 PM9/17/08
to Thomas Hartman, haskell
Hi,

I got your tutorial working. But when running it from ghci an exception
raises:

*** Exception: _local/<interactive>_state\current-0000000000:
openBinaryFile: invalid argument (Invalid argument)

But I found a way to fix this: replace

runserver 5001

by

withProgName "happs-tutorial" $ runserver 5001

Regards,

Martin.

Thomas Hartman

Sep 18, 2008, 11:52:31 AM9/18/08
to Marc Weber, haskel...@haskell.org
The latest darcs version of what? I don't remember putting that into
my tutorial...

t.

Leonel Fonseca

Sep 18, 2008, 1:03:03 PM9/18/08

I've got a problem.
In Windows XP, running the executable from the command prompt:

c:\>happs-tutorial.exe 5001

When I use the browser to request the default page it came rendered
with some wrong ports: The content area had good links (for example:
the "install and run" had link to
http://localhost:5001/tutorial/run-tutorial-locally),
but the menubarMenu and tocArea (as defined in View.hs) got
random ports, i.e. "thanks" is linked to
http://localhost:1161/tutorial/thanks.

Who gives the problem? Is it the rendering process, the Happs server
or the windows implementation stack?

Your help will be appreciated.

Leo.