LSI SAS1078 on Intel S5520UR board.

Pawel Tyll

Apr 30, 2010, 9:48:34 PM4/30/10
to freebs...@freebsd.org
Hello list,

I'm having a problem with integrated LSI SAS1078 controller on S5520UR
on FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #1: Sat May 1 02:06:15 CEST 2010

after kldload mpt:

mpt0@pci0:13:0:0: class=0x010000 card=0x35058086 chip=0x00621000 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios Logic, NCR)'
device = 'PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (LSISAS1078)'
class = mass storage
subclass = SCSI

mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem 0xb1940000-0xb1943fff,0xb1900000-0xb193ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci13
mpt0: unable to map registers in PIO mode

# mptutil show adapter
mptutil: mpt_open: No such file or directory

on the other hand, mfi doesn't even attach to this device, and
kldunload mpt crashes the system. Is anyone successfully using this
controller on any version of FreeBSD? Anything else I can do to help
debug and fix this?

Matthew Jacob

Apr 30, 2010, 11:00:09 PM4/30/10
to Pawel Tyll, freebs...@freebsd.org
Pawel Tyll wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm having a problem with integrated LSI SAS1078 controller on S5520UR
> on FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #1: Sat May 1 02:06:15 CEST 2010
>
> after kldload mpt:
>
> mpt0@pci0:13:0:0: class=0x010000 card=0x35058086 chip=0x00621000 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
> vendor = 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios Logic, NCR)'
> device = 'PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (LSISAS1078)'
> class = mass storage
> subclass = SCSI
>
> mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem 0xb1940000-0xb1943fff,0xb1900000-0xb193ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci13
> mpt0: unable to map registers in PIO mode
>
> #

Some recovery mechanisms require both PIO as well as MMAP of registers.
Guess your motheboard doesn't support that.

Matthew Jacob

Apr 30, 2010, 11:11:24 PM4/30/10
to Pawel Tyll, freebs...@freebsd.org
I actually think I have this chassis and it seems to work okay for me.

Do you have an alternate device to boot from?
> Hi Matthew,

>> Some recovery mechanisms require both PIO as well as MMAP of registers.
>> Guess your motheboard doesn't support that.
>>

> So what can be done about it? I don't really have much of a choice
> here - controller is integrated with backplane/motherboard and there's
> no way of swapping it out. Just tested it in 9-CURRENT, but as you
> probably already figured out, without much of success :(
>
> Just for clarification: motherboard is Intel S5520UR, preinstalled in
> Intel SR2600URLX chassis.
>
> Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Pawel Tyll

Apr 30, 2010, 11:16:27 PM4/30/10
to Matthew Jacob, freebs...@freebsd.org
> I actually think I have this chassis and it seems to work okay for me.
> Do you have an alternate device to boot from?
Yes, system is up and running using standard on-board SATA controller,
so I can do pretty much everything to help get to the bottom of this,
including giving you root access if you wish so.