[Caml-list] Jane St Capital Ocaml Summer Project code?

Erik de Castro Lopo

Nov 11, 2008, 7:58:41 PM11/11/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Hi all,

It seems that the Ocaml Summer Project has finished:

http://osp.janestreet.com/wordpress/?p=30

and I'm wondering if the code going to be released this year like
it was last year? The 2007 code is available at

svn://osprepo.janestcapital.com/osp/2007

but there is no sign of any of the 2008 projects.

Cheers,
Erik

Yaron Minsky

Nov 11, 2008, 8:52:18 PM11/11/08
to Erik de Castro Lopo, caml...@inria.fr
Jane Street didn't host source code repos this year, so you need to go to
the participants sites to get the source. Here's the post-mortem posted on
Jane Street's blog:

http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/38

That includes links to most of the projects home pages. There are two
exceptions: EasyOCaml and the parallel GC project. Both of those are
working on some final polishing and should have websites up reasonably soon.

Sylvain Le Gall

Nov 12, 2008, 3:18:17 AM11/12/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On 12-11-2008, Yaron Minsky <ymi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --===============0504199661==
>
> ------=_Part_149466_21545266.1226454729004

> Jane Street didn't host source code repos this year, so you need to go to
> the participants sites to get the source. Here's the post-mortem posted on
> Jane Street's blog:
>
> http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/38
>
> That includes links to most of the projects home pages. There are two
> exceptions: EasyOCaml and the parallel GC project. Both of those are
> working on some final polishing and should have websites up reasonably soon.

Easyocaml can be found here:
https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/easyocaml/

And pa-do:
https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/pa-do/

BTW, maybe it will be a good idea to use forge.ocamlcore.org for yet
unpublished project, such as "parallel GC". Having a central place for
OCaml project give more visibility.

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall

Erik de Castro Lopo

Nov 12, 2008, 6:03:38 PM11/12/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Yaron Minsky wrote:

> Jane Street didn't host source code repos this year, so you need to go to
> the participants sites to get the source. Here's the post-mortem posted on
> Jane Street's blog:
>
> http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/38
>
> That includes links to most of the projects home pages. There are two
> exceptions: EasyOCaml and the parallel GC project. Both of those are
> working on some final polishing and should have websites up reasonably soon.

Thanks Yaron, it was actually the Menhir and Multicore projects I
was most interested in.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo

"Ever since GNOME development began, I have urged people to aim
to make it as good as the Macintosh. To try to be like Windows
is to try for second-best." - Richard Stallman

Yaron Minsky

Nov 12, 2008, 7:29:02 PM11/12/08
to caml...@inria.fr
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo <
mle+...@mega-nerd.com <mle%2Bo...@mega-nerd.com>> wrote:

> Yaron Minsky wrote:
>
> > Jane Street didn't host source code repos this year, so you need to go to
> > the participants sites to get the source. Here's the post-mortem posted
> on
> > Jane Street's blog:
> >
> > http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/38
> >
> > That includes links to most of the projects home pages. There are two
> > exceptions: EasyOCaml and the parallel GC project. Both of those are
> > working on some final polishing and should have websites up reasonably
> soon.
>
> Thanks Yaron, it was actually the Menhir and Multicore projects I
> was most interested in.

Just to be clear, the results of the Menhir project _have_ been rolled into
a release. The multicore project has not yet, but that is coming.

Erik de Castro Lopo

Nov 12, 2008, 7:33:47 PM11/12/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Yaron Minsky wrote:

> Just to be clear, the results of the Menhir project _have_ been rolled into
> a release.

Yes, I'm looking at menhir-20080912 right now :-).

> The multicore project has not yet, but that is coming.

And I'm looking forward to that.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo

The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola
burns longer.

Christophe Raffalli

Nov 13, 2008, 5:10:16 PM11/13/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Erik de Castro Lopo a écrit :

> Yaron Minsky wrote:
>

>> Just to be clear, the results of the Menhir project _have_ been rolled into
>> a release.
>>

> Yes, I'm looking at menhir-20080912 right now :-).

hello (offlist),

Have you looked at dypgen ... (http://dypgen.free.fr/), it even offers
integrated lexer in the latest version
and Emmanuel is very fast to add requested feature when this is simple.

Cheers,
Christophe

Christophe Raffalli

Nov 13, 2008, 5:14:27 PM11/13/08
to caml...@inria.fr

> hello (offlist),
Visibly I got it wrong ... so it was not offlist ;-)

Erik de Castro Lopo

Nov 14, 2008, 4:31:05 PM11/14/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Christophe Raffalli wrote:

> Have you looked at dypgen ... (http://dypgen.free.fr/), it even offers
> integrated lexer in the latest version

I haven't really looked at that. What are the relative strengths and
weaknesses of the two?

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo

Heisenbugs - The bugs that go away when you turn on debugging.

Christophe Raffalli

Nov 15, 2008, 1:42:01 AM11/15/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Erik de Castro Lopo a écrit :
> Christophe Raffalli wrote:
>

>> Have you looked at dypgen ... (http://dypgen.free.fr/), it even offers
>> integrated lexer in the latest version
>>

> I haven't really looked at that. What are the relative strengths and
> weaknesses of the two?
>
> Erik

Here is what I mostly like (you have a comparison table here
http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~raffalli/ocaml-parsing.html:

dypgen :

- GLR instead of LR(1) : this gives much more elegant description of the
grammar (and the possibiliy of ambigous grammar) and there
is never a conflict. These are replaced by multiple parse trees (you can
choose a merge function that will report that as an error, if you think
your grammar should not be ambiguous).

- pattern matching in rule. Example: you define a grammar for list of
expressions of any-size, but you can restrict the usage
to list of length at least 1, 2, ... by pattern matching)

- late reject of a rule by raising an exception.

- self extensible lexer and parser with delimited scope.

menhir :

- should be faster because it is only LR(1), but I did not test

- you know for sure that your grammer is not ambiguous ...