[Caml-list] Building pcre-ocaml on OCaml 3.11.0 on MinGW

David Allsopp

Feb 20, 2009, 9:28:41 AM2/20/09
to OCaml List
I've just had an enlightening few hours getting pcre-ocaml to compile under
Windows (I tried a few years ago and, very lazily, just gave up). I've
managed to get it to work but I'm wondering whether anyone else has done
this and, if so, whether they can explain/confirm/correct a couple of the
steps involved. I'm very much indebted to Alain Frisch's instructions for
building PCRE under OCaml 3.10.0 which are part of the CDuce distribution or
I would've been completely at sea with this!

The main thing that's got me puzzled is the renaming of libpcre.dll.a and
libpcre.a that I have to do to get the thing to link.

Note that I'm building the "official" way - so MinGW running within Cygwin.

+++
Building pcre for MinGW
(Ensure that Cygwin's PCRE libraries are *not* installed)
Unpacked PCRE 7.8
./configure --prefix="C:/Dev/OCaml" \ # set to install PCRE
--includedir="C:/Dev/OCaml/lib" \ # to my OCaml tree.
--disable-cpp \ # from Alain's
instructions.
--enable-utf8 \ # Similarly.
--build=mingw32 \ # MinGW, not Cygwin build
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" # Necessary to ensure that
# autoconf detects the
correct
# library and include dirs
# when querying gcc (CFLAGS
# won't work here)
make
make install

+++
Building pcre-ocaml
(Note that with older (< 0.14) versions of flexlink, the linker errors
noted doesn't show up and the resulting library is broken)
Unpacked pcre-ocaml 5.15.1
Edit pcre-ocaml-release-5.15.1/Makefile.conf to contain:
export LIBDIRS := C:/Dev/OCaml/lib # Location of PCRE
export MINGW=1 # MinGW build
export CC=gcc # Or you get lots of errors!
patch -p0 -i pcre-ocaml-release-5.15.1.patch # (attached)

The patch "fixes" two things in OCamlMakefile
a) It causes the ocamlc -where check to pass the result through cygpath.
My OCAMLLIB variable is correctly set (for Windows) as C:\Dev\OCaml\lib and
Cygwin configure scripts should generally respect that (build in Cygwin, run
in Windows so OCAMLLIB is a Windows environment variable...). I've been lazy
though and not done the same thing for the camlp4 -where test...
b) It adds a simple check for OCaml 3.11 (it would be better if it did a
>= 3.11 check but I haven't bothered to bring up the GNU make info pages to
check the syntax for doing that!) and uses ocamlmklib instead of manually
building the stub libraries if OCaml 3.11 is found - the manual build
instructions included in OCamlMakefile are for 3.10 and earlier and so don't
work (i.e. non-flexlink linking)

OK, so at this stage it looks as though we should be ready to build. But
if I run make (with flexlink 0.14 or later) then I get the following errors
(compiling with flexlink 0.13 works, but the resulting library is broken):

ocamlmklib -LC:/Dev/OCaml/lib -o pcre_stubs pcre_stubs.o -lpcre
c:\Users\DRA\AppData\Local\Temp\dyndll8e6a10.o:pcre_stubs.c:(.text+0x205):
undefined reference to `__imp__pcre_callout'
[and several more missing __imp__pcre_... messages]

The problem is in C:\Dev\OCaml\lib, it appears. In there are libpcre.a,
libpcre.dll.a and libpcre.la. If I rename libpcre.a to libpcre.old.a and
then libpcre.dll.a to libpcre.a then the build works and the resulting
library builds. As far as I can tell, this is something to do with libtool
but I know very little about this - is the inability of the library to link
without renaming these files something to do with using flexlink as the
linker? If I link a test program in C using -lpcre then it works - but is
that because gcc knows how to read .la files and looks for the libpcre.dll.a
file correctly?

However, once this is followed through, the library does correctly build
and install - and the examples all seem to be working. So, finally, it's
cheerio to the Str module for me :o)

Any pointers appreciated!

David

pcre-ocaml-release-5.15.1.patch

Gerd Stolpmann

Feb 20, 2009, 2:06:00 PM2/20/09
to David Allsopp, OCaml List
GODI includes now MinGW support, and pcre is among the actually working
packages. Just take it, or look there for how the build is done.

Note that you should take GODI for 3.10 because there is still a bug in
the 3.11 version.

Gerd

Alain Frisch

Apr 23, 2009, 5:31:02 AM4/23/09
to David Allsopp, OCaml List
Hi David,

David Allsopp wrote:
> I've just had an enlightening few hours getting pcre-ocaml to compile under
> Windows

> The main thing that's got me puzzled is the renaming of libpcre.dll.a and
> libpcre.a that I have to do to get the thing to link.

Thanks for investigating this issue! The current SVN version of
flexlink prefers XXX.dll.a over XXX.a. We will see whether it solves
more problems than it creates... Of course, it is always possible to
pass explicitly the complete file name instead of -lXXX.

To build and use ocaml-pcre, I've had to remove the "-I /usr/include"
from this line in OCamlMakefile:

CFLAGS_WIN32 := -mno-cygwin -I /usr/include

Otherwise, Cygwin's headers are used instead of mingw's ones (in
/usr/include/mingw), and we get a dependency e.g. to the Cygwin symbol
_ctype_ which is not available on mingw. Have you had to do something
similar?

Alain

Gerd Stolpmann

Apr 23, 2009, 6:32:28 AM4/23/09
to Alain Frisch, OCaml List

Am Donnerstag, den 23.04.2009, 11:30 +0200 schrieb Alain Frisch:
> Hi David,
>
> David Allsopp wrote:
> > I've just had an enlightening few hours getting pcre-ocaml to compile under
> > Windows
> > The main thing that's got me puzzled is the renaming of libpcre.dll.a and
> > libpcre.a that I have to do to get the thing to link.
>
> Thanks for investigating this issue! The current SVN version of
> flexlink prefers XXX.dll.a over XXX.a. We will see whether it solves
> more problems than it creates... Of course, it is always possible to
> pass explicitly the complete file name instead of -lXXX.
>
> To build and use ocaml-pcre, I've had to remove the "-I /usr/include"
> from this line in OCamlMakefile:
>
> CFLAGS_WIN32 := -mno-cygwin -I /usr/include
>
> Otherwise, Cygwin's headers are used instead of mingw's ones (in
> /usr/include/mingw), and we get a dependency e.g. to the Cygwin symbol
> _ctype_ which is not available on mingw. Have you had to do something
> similar?

I can confirm this. I also got an error about _ctype_, and could solve
this by removing -I /usr/include.

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
ge...@gerd-stolpmann.de http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855 Fax: +49-6151-997714

David Allsopp

Apr 23, 2009, 7:12:43 AM4/23/09
to Alain Frisch, OCaml List
> Hi David,
>
> David Allsopp wrote:
> > I've just had an enlightening few hours getting pcre-ocaml to compile
> under
> > Windows
> > The main thing that's got me puzzled is the renaming of libpcre.dll.a
> and
> > libpcre.a that I have to do to get the thing to link.
>
> Thanks for investigating this issue! The current SVN version of
> flexlink prefers XXX.dll.a over XXX.a. We will see whether it solves
> more problems than it creates... Of course, it is always possible to
> pass explicitly the complete file name instead of -lXXX.

Marvellous - I'll have a play when I have a spare minute <sigh>

> To build and use ocaml-pcre, I've had to remove the "-I /usr/include"
> from this line in OCamlMakefile:
>
> CFLAGS_WIN32 := -mno-cygwin -I /usr/include
> Otherwise, Cygwin's headers are used instead of mingw's ones (in
> /usr/include/mingw), and we get a dependency e.g. to the Cygwin symbol
> _ctype_ which is not available on mingw. Have you had to do something
> similar?

I last built with 5.15.1 which didn't have this line (just -mno-cygwin) but
I see that I'm behind (and Gerd's confirmed the problem, anyhow...)

David