[Caml-list] [ANN] New Savonet releases

David Baelde

Aug 27, 2006, 10:59:50 AM8/27/06
to Ocaml
Hi list,

The Savonet team is proud to announce a new bunch of releases,
including liquidsoap 0.3.0 and updates of our libraries for OCaml:
vorbis, mad, lame, alsa, shout and others.

Liquidsoap is a simple script language allowing one to build audio
stream sources from various elementary sources, source combinators and
audio outputs. Once the source runs, one can interact with the process
through a telnet interface -- a graphical interface is also available.
It is mainly intended to be used as an icecast client for internet
radios, but could also be used as a weird media player.

Since the 0.2.0 release, we fixed more bugs and liquidsoap is getting
more and more stable: we now get uptimes of 40 days and counting. But
liquidsoap 0.3.0 also has a whole lot of new features and usability
improvements, thanks to the interaction with new users. Outputs are
now sources like others, allowing multi-output scripts. We added ALSA
I/O and MP3 encoding, metadata rewriting, blank detection, shout
client source, better interfacing with external programs, transitions,
etc.

We also started a wiki (http://savonet.sf.net) on which a real
documentation has been written, with plenty of examples. This is the
place to learn more about our project. A PDF generated from the wiki
is also included in the liquidsoap release.

The introduction of transitions might be of interest for the caml-list
readers, since it came with a new design of the script language.
Liquidsoap now has a real tiny functional programming language, with
static infered types, and a simple Ruby-like syntax. Functions are
useful for conciseness, but also as a mean to specify a transition.
The switching source combinators now accept transitions, as functions
of type source->source->source, taking the previous and the next
source, and building a new one with a transition -- fade, add, many
things are possible.

Feedback or new ideas would be welcome, and I'd be happy to answer any question.

We hope you'll enjoy it.
--
David for the Savonet team