[Caml-list] can ocamldep order .cmo files?

Nathan Mishra Linger

Aug 11, 2006, 6:18:05 PM8/11/06
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
I'm a new OCaml user and quite a fan so far (most of my functional
programming experience has been in Haskell up to this point).

I know that .cmo arguments to ocamlc must be in order of dependency.
I also know that ocamldep can detect such dependencies and spit them
out in a format that makefiles can include.

But can ocamldep spit out the dependency ordering of a list of .cmo
files in such a way that these can be input to ocamlc? If not, it
seems like it would be a useful thing for ocamldep to be able to do
this. Or do people have other solutions to this problem.

Nathan

Till Varoquaux

Aug 11, 2006, 7:12:43 PM8/11/06
to Nathan Mishra Linger
Try having a look at ocamldsort:
http://dimitri.mutu.net/ocaml.html
Till

Nathaniel Gray

Aug 15, 2006, 2:48:10 AM8/15/06
to Nathan Mishra Linger
On 8/11/06, Nathan Mishra Linger <nathan.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a new OCaml user and quite a fan so far (most of my functional
> programming experience has been in Haskell up to this point).
>
> I know that .cmo arguments to ocamlc must be in order of dependency.
> I also know that ocamldep can detect such dependencies and spit them
> out in a format that makefiles can include.
>
> But can ocamldep spit out the dependency ordering of a list of .cmo
> files in such a way that these can be input to ocamlc? If not, it
> seems like it would be a useful thing for ocamldep to be able to do
> this. Or do people have other solutions to this problem.

You might look at the OMake build system[1]. It's a concise and
declarative like make, but with far superior dependency tracking and
support for large projects. Support for OCaml is particularly strong,
since it's the primary language used for OMake itself and most of the
other projects in our lab. In particular, it takes care of keeping
the .cmo files in proper order.

Cheers,
-n8

[1] <http://omake.metaprl.org/>