[Caml-list] [ANN] OBus 1.1

Jérémie Dimino

Dec 13, 2010, 11:22:32 AM12/13/10
to caml...@inria.fr
Hi,

I'm happy to announce the release 1.1 of OBus, a pure OCaml
implementation of the D-Bus protocol.

OBus aims to make it easy to use and provide D-Bus services in OCaml. It
can generate interfaces to D-Bus services from introspection files, it
provides integration of D-Bus methods, signals and properties to native
ocaml functions, mapping between D-Bus types and OCaml types, ... But it
is also possible to write low-level D-Bus application using OBus.

OBus is distributed with predefined OCaml interfaces to the following
services: Hal, NetworkManager, Popup notifications, PolicyKit, UDisks
and UPower.

Links:

Archive: https://forge.ocamlcore.org/frs/download.php/539/obus-1.1.tar.gz
Project page: https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/obus/
Manual: https://forge.ocamlcore.org/docman/view.php/26/127/manual.pdf
Api documentation: http://obus.forge.ocamlcore.org/api/

Enjoy!

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Dimino

Dec 13, 2010, 12:04:22 PM12/13/10
to David MENTRE, caml...@inria.fr
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 05:47:09PM +0100, David MENTRE wrote:
> Are there any example of the use of OBus?

There are small examples in the archive. I don't think there are yet
applications using it, except one i wrote as part of the control system
of a robot.

> Was OBus written for certain application in mind?

No. I tried to make it as general as possible.

Cheers,

Gregory Bellier

Dec 14, 2010, 11:21:43 AM12/14/10
to Jérémie Dimino, caml...@inria.fr
Hell yeah !

I've been waiting for this announcement :)

Gregory Bellier

Dec 16, 2010, 11:16:02 AM12/16/10
to Jérémie Dimino, caml...@inria.fr
- Is OCaml 3.12 really required to be able to build it ?

- By the way, I got this with Ocaml 3.11.1 and lwt 2.1.1. Maybe it's
related to my first question.

+ ocamlfind ocamlopt -c -g -I src -package xmlm -package
type-conv.syntax -package lwt.unix -package lwt.syntax.log -package
lwt.syntax -package lwt.react -package camlp4.quotations.o -package
camlp4.extend -syntax camlp4o -ppopt syntax/pa_obus.cmo -I src -I
syntax -I bindings/upower -I bindings/hal -I bindings/network-manager
-I bindings/policykit -I bindings/notification -I bindings/udisks -o
src/oBus_string.cmx src/oBus_string.ml
File "src/oBus_string.ml", line 35, characters 2-27:
Error: Unbound value Printexc.register_printer
Command exited with code 2.
E: Command '/usr/bin/ocamlbuild tools/obus_gen_interface.native -tag
debug' terminated with error code 10

Sylvain Le Gall

Dec 16, 2010, 11:23:45 AM12/16/10
to caml...@inria.fr
On 16-12-2010, Gregory Bellier <gregory...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Is OCaml 3.12 really required to be able to build it ?
>
> - By the way, I got this with Ocaml 3.11.1 and lwt 2.1.1. Maybe it's
> related to my first question.
>
> + ocamlfind ocamlopt -c -g -I src -package xmlm -package
> type-conv.syntax -package lwt.unix -package lwt.syntax.log -package
> lwt.syntax -package lwt.react -package camlp4.quotations.o -package
> camlp4.extend -syntax camlp4o -ppopt syntax/pa_obus.cmo -I src -I
> syntax -I bindings/upower -I bindings/hal -I bindings/network-manager
> -I bindings/policykit -I bindings/notification -I bindings/udisks -o
> src/oBus_string.cmx src/oBus_string.ml
> File "src/oBus_string.ml", line 35, characters 2-27:
> Error: Unbound value Printexc.register_printer
> Command exited with code 2.
> E: Command '/usr/bin/ocamlbuild tools/obus_gen_interface.native -tag
> debug' terminated with error code 10

Printexc.register_printer belongs to 3.11.2.

I think Jeremie should add:

OASISVersion: >= 3.11.2

to its _oasis file.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Jérémie Dimino

Dec 16, 2010, 11:28:52 AM12/16/10
to Gregory Bellier, caml...@inria.fr
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:15:18PM +0100, Gregory Bellier wrote:
> - Is OCaml 3.12 really required to be able to build it ?

Yes.

If you are using debian there is a repository with ocaml 3.12 here:

http://ocaml.debian.net/debian/ocaml-3.12.0

> - By the way, I got this with Ocaml 3.11.1 and lwt 2.1.1. Maybe it's
> related to my first question.

Yes it is related.

--
Jérémie

Jérémie Dimino

Dec 16, 2010, 11:36:11 AM12/16/10
to Sylvain Le Gall, caml...@inria.fr
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 04:23:21PM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> I think Jeremie should add:
>
> OASISVersion: >= 3.11.2
>
> to its _oasis file.

Yes, i did not know this option (it is OCamlVersion by the way), thanks.

--
Jérémie