[Caml-list] Stroustrup et al. propose to introduce "lambda closures" in C++

1 view

Eijiro Sumii

Mar 17, 2006, 5:09:37 AM3/17/06
to Caml List, Eijiro Sumii
Hi,

A friend of mine informed me of this report

Lambda expressions and closures for C++
Jeremiah Willcock, Jaakko Jarvi, Doug Gregor, Bjarne Stroustrup,
Andrew Lumsdaine
2006-02-26
http://public.research.att.com/~bs/N1968-lambda-expressions.pdf

and I thought you might be interested. (I searched a little and
didn't find any discussion on this report in this list.)

A few highlights:

We propose to extend the C++ language with lambda expressions, and
define the semantics of these unnamed local functions via translation
to closures: function objects implemented using local classes.

..

void f() {
int sum = 0;
for each(a.begin(), a.end(),
<>(int x) -> int extern(sum) {return sum += x;});
}

..

2.1 Omitting the return type
The return type of a lambda expression can be omitted if the body
of the lambda function contains at most one return statement.