[Caml-list] OCaml + Windows cross-compilation (code from the short talk today)

Richard Jones

Feb 4, 2009, 5:31:29 PM2/4/09
to caml...@inria.fr
The code is here:

http://www.annexia.org/tmp/ocaml-mingw-gtk

The README from the tarball is also attached below.

Rich.

This tarball / directory contains an example of cross-compiling OCaml
LablGtk programs for Windows, which I originally demonstrated at the
OCaml Users Conference meeting Feb 2009.

You will need to start here:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW

It's a good idea to join the Fedora MinGW mailing list (mentioned on
the above page), and if you have any problems post them on the mailing
list.

- - -

You must install Fedora 10 which you will need to upgrade to Fedora
Rawhide (the development version):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide

If you don't have Fedora Rawhide already, try installing it in a
virtual machine.

OCaml cross-compilation is _not_ supported on RHEL, EPEL, CentOS,
Fedora <= 10, etc at this time, although we may add these
distributions in future.

The software required is partially in Rawhide and partially in a
separate repository. Create and edit a file /etc/yum.repos.d/mingw.repo
containing:

[mingw]
name=MinGW
baseurl=http://www.annexia.org/tmp/mingw/fedora-rawhide/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

Replace "x86_64" with "i386" if you have a 32 bit machine. We do not
compile the temporary repository for non-x86 architectures at this
time.

Now install the packages and their deps by typing this command (as
root):

yum install \
ocaml ocaml-x11 ocaml-findlib-devel \
mingw32-gcc \
mingw32-ocaml mingw32-ocaml-findlib mingw32-ocaml-lablgtk2 \
mingw32-nsis mingw32-nsiswrapper \
wine autoconf automake

You should now be able to compile the Windows demo by doing:

mingw32-configure
make

and then run/test it in Wine by doing:

wine gtk_test.exe

To compile the Windows installer you will first need to install the
program (this is an arcane requirement which will be fixed in future).
As root do:

make install

Then as a normal user do:

make installer.exe

Copy installer.exe to a Windows machine to try it.

- - -

Developers: The only files you need to copy in order to create an
autotools package are 'configure.ac' and 'Makefile.am'. After copying
these to a new directory, run:

autoreconf -i

(You may need to create empty files 'README', 'NEWS' etc. as
instructed).

- - -

For questions/problems please join the Fedora MinGW mailing list.

- Richard Jones, Feb 2009

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat