[Caml-list] oc4mc status?

Eray Ozkural

Jul 2, 2010, 10:32:46 AM7/2/10
to caml...@inria.fr
Hi there,

oc4mc looks like a cool project, I had heard it before but I never got to
try it, I suppose the latest development release worked with ocaml 3.10.2. I
downloaded it and want to give it a shot to see if I can get some speedups
with a parallel code I'm working on. So, how is the development going? I
read on their page that they are planning a release for this summer based on
the new ocaml.

Cheers,

--
Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara

Philippe Wang

Jul 2, 2010, 12:37:46 PM7/2/10
to Eray Ozkural, caml...@inria.fr, Philippe Wang
Hi, thank you for your interest :)

A few days ago, I updated the web site. It is now minimal (almost all in a single page) but shows the project status on the top of the page (and is easier to maintain).

Currently, the last entry is
[[
2010 spring-summer (current work, in progress) : (ocaml-3.12-svn) “from scratch”, making the runtime library fully reentrant, first without threads preoccupation
]]

This means that with the very little man-power we have, we are currently concentrated on making the runtime library fully reentrant (while relying on the past experience).
This work currently does not address parallel threads, which have become a secondary issue.

I may detail the motivations later, if they don't appear evidently...

Cheers,

--
Philippe Wang
http://www-apr.lip6.fr/~pwang/