[Caml-list] OCaml version 3.11.1+rc0

Damien Doligez

May 19, 2009, 10:58:42 AM5/19/09
to caml users
Dear OCaml users,

It is our pleasure to announce that release 3.11.1 is imminent. We have
uploaded a release candidate at this address:

< http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-3.11/ocaml-3.11.1+rc0.tar.gz >

See the list of changes below.

We need you to test this on as many system types as possible. Please
report success or failure to <damien....@inria.fr> as usual.

-- Damien

Objective Caml 3.11.1:
----------------------

Bug fixes:
- PR#4095: ocamldebug: strange behaviour of control-C
- PR#4403: ocamldebug: improved handling of packed modules
- PR#4650: Str.regexp_case_fold mis-handling complemented character
sets [^a]
- PR#4660: Scanf.format_from_string: handling of double quote
- PR#4666: Unix.exec* failure in multithread programs under MacOS X
and FreeBSD
- PR#4667: debugger out of sync with dynlink changes
- PR#4678: random "out of memory" error with systhreads
- PR#4690: issue with dynamic loading under MacOS 10.5
- PR#4692: wrong error message with options -i and -pack passed to
ocamlc
- PR#4699: in otherlibs/dbm, fixed construction of dlldbm.so.
- PR#4704: error in caml_modify_generational_global_root()
- PR#4708: (ocamldoc) improved printing of infix identifiers such as
"lor".
- PR#4722: typo in configure script
- PR#4729: documented the fact that PF_INET6 is not available on all
platforms
- PR#4730: incorrect typing involving abbreviation "type 'a t = 'a"
- PR#4731: incorrect quoting of arguments passed to the assembler on
x86-64
- PR#4735: Unix.LargeFile.fstat cannot report size over 32bits on Win32
- PR#4740: guard against possible processor error in
{Int32,Int64,Nativeint}.{div,rem}
- PR#4745: type inference wrongly produced non-generalizable type
variables.
- PR#4749: better pipe size for win32unix
- PR#4756: printf: no error reported for wrong format '%_s'
- PR#4758: scanf: handling of \<newline> by format '%S'
- PR#4766: incorrect simplification of some type abbreviations.
- PR#4768: printf: %F does not respect width and precision
specifications
- PR#4769: Format.bprintf fails to flush
- PR#4775: compiler crash on crazy types (temporary fix)
- PR#4776: bad interaction between exceptions and classes
- PR#4780: labltk build problem under Windows.
- PR#4790: under Windows, map ERROR_NO_DATA Win32 error to EPIPE Unix
error.
- PR#4792: bug in Big_int.big_int_of_int64 on 32-bit platforms.
- Module Parsing: improved computation of locations when an ocamlyacc
rule
starts with an empty nonterminal
- Type-checker: fixed wrong variance computation for private types
- x86-32 code generator, MSVC port: wrong "fld" instruction generated.
- ocamlbuild: incorrectly using the compile-time value of $OCAMLLIB
- Makefile problem when configured with -no-shared-libs
- ocamldoc: use dynamic loading in native code

Other changes:
- Improved wording of various error messages
(contributed by Jonathan Davies, Citrix).
- Support for 64-bit mode in Solaris/x86 (PR#4670).

Stéphane Glondu

May 22, 2009, 5:40:52 AM5/22/09
to Damien Doligez, caml users
Damien Doligez a écrit :

> We need you to test this on as many system types as possible. Please
> report success or failure to <damien....@inria.fr> as usual.

It looks like ocamlbuild plugins do not work anymore... maybe because
`ocamlbuild -where` now points to the same location as `ocamlc -where`.

--
Stéphane

Richard Jones

May 23, 2009, 3:36:30 AM5/23/09
to caml...@inria.fr

I guess I'll just note the problems we encounter as follow-ups
to this thread, so they're easy to find.

The first problem is with camlp5:

$ ./configure
Sorry: the compatibility with ocaml version "3.11.1+rc0"
is not yet implemented. Please report.
Configuration failed.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

Richard Jones

May 23, 2009, 3:51:25 AM5/23/09
to caml...@inria.fr

ocaml ulex 1.1 fails with:

ocamlbuild -byte-plugin pa_ulex.cma ulexing.cma
Failure: Cannot find "ocamlbuildlib.cma" in ocamlbuild -where directory.
make: *** [all] Error 2

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

Daniel de Rauglaudre

May 23, 2009, 5:23:36 AM5/23/09
to caml...@inria.fr
Hi everybody!

Camlp5 5.12 has been released, compatible with ocaml version 3.11.1.
Download at:
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~ddr/camlp5/

Enjoy!

--
Daniel de Rauglaudre
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~ddr/

Richard Jones

May 23, 2009, 7:14:30 AM5/23/09
to caml...@inria.fr
This is the error:

sed -e 's/@VERSION@/1.1.0/' META.in > META
ocamlbuild src/lwt.cma src/lwt_extra.cma src/lwt_preemptive.cma src/lwt_ssl.cma
Failure: Cannot find "ocamlbuildlib.cmxa" in ocamlbuild -where directory.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

Richard Jones

May 26, 2009, 9:20:03 AM5/26/09
to Nicolas Pouillard, Stéphane Glondu, Damien Doligez, caml users
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:47:34AM +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> Excerpts from St�phane Glondu's message of Fri May 22 11:41:40 +0200 2009:
> > Damien Doligez a �crit :

> > > We need you to test this on as many system types as possible. Please
> > > report success or failure to <damien....@inria.fr> as usual.
> >
> > It looks like ocamlbuild plugins do not work anymore... maybe because
> > `ocamlbuild -where` now points to the same location as `ocamlc -where`.
>
> I've committed a patch to fix exactly this, thanks for the report!

I backported this to Fedora, and it fixes the ulex & lwt build
problems.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

Stéphane Glondu

May 26, 2009, 2:40:32 PM5/26/09
to Richard Jones, caml...@inria.fr
Richard Jones a �crit :
> We finished upgrading the library packages in Fedora 12, and the only
> remaining problem is with ocamlduce which hasn't been ported yet.

I've merged changes from 3.11.1+rc0, and tagged it 3.11.1.0rc0 on ocamlcore:

http://git.ocamlcore.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=ocamlduce/ocamlduce.git

I won't make a release (with tarball) before the final 3.11.1, but you
can still try it if you want (have a look at README.ocamlduce first to
know how to deal with git checkouts).

Cheers,

--
St�phane