[Caml-list] OCaml for 64 bit machines

Shivkumar Chandrasekaran

Aug 9, 2006, 3:14:27 PM8/9/06
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
I know that OCaml is supported on 64 bit AMD/Intel machines running
Linux (at least). Are there any plans to support OCaml on the new 64 bit
Intel Apple machines running Mac OS X?

Thanks,

--shiv--

PS: I believe there is no support for 64 bit PPC machines. Is that still
true?

Shivkumar Chandrasekaran

Aug 9, 2006, 3:40:25 PM8/9/06
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Sorry to reply to myself. I should clarify of course, that I meant 64
bit machines running a 64 bit OS.

Xavier Leroy

Aug 17, 2006, 7:52:15 AM8/17/06
to sh...@ece.ucsb.edu
> I know that OCaml is supported on 64 bit AMD/Intel machines running
> Linux (at least). Are there any plans to support OCaml on the new 64 bit
> Intel Apple machines running Mac OS X?

I would expect the port to be straigthforward, but I'll need to get
access to such a machine to see whether the application binary
interface differs between Linux/AMD64 and MacOSX/AMD64. So, the
answer to your question is: MacOSX/AMD64 will be supported at some
point, but I can't say when.

> PS: I believe there is no support for 64 bit PPC machines. Is that still
> true?

I did a MacOSX/PPC64 port a few months ago. That will be released as
part of 3.10, or you can give it a try now using the CVS trunk
sources.

- Xavier Leroy

Jacques Garrigue

Aug 17, 2006, 8:45:17 PM8/17/06
to Xavier...@inria.fr
From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier...@inria.fr>

> I did a MacOSX/PPC64 port a few months ago. That will be released as
> part of 3.10, or you can give it a try now using the CVS trunk
> sources.

I just tried it now on a PowerMac G5, configuring with -cc "gcc -m64",
but I cannot link with ocamlopt.
Here is the error message:

ld64 failed: relocations in read-only segments not supported. _caml_startup__frametable in /tmp/camlstartup6ac9d3.o reference to atom #29
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I get this trying to build ocamlc.opt, or any other program.
This is using MacOSX 10.4 / Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.0: Fri May 26
15:20:53 PDT 2006.

Jacques Garrigue