[Caml-list] rpc: type conversion

1 view

Philippe Strauss

Nov 4, 2010, 5:26:40 PM11/4/10
to caml...@inria.fr
Hello,

I need to use RPC in a current project of mine, but I don't get how do
you write the type conversion and what is provided, taking a very basic
example:

--8<--
program Rpc_control {
version V1 {
int add(int, int) = 1;
} = 1;
} = 0x2000007f;
--8<--

and the server code:

--8<--
let add arg =
match arg with
| (a, b) -> a + b
| _ -> 0

let _ =
let esys = Unixqueue.standard_event_system () in
let server = Deconv_srv.Rpc_control.V1.create_server ~proc_add: add
(Rpc_server.Localhost 3333) Rpc.Tcp Rpc.Socket esys in
Unixqueue.run esys
--8<--

my add fun is wrong regarding the types, I've read about type conversion
but the doco lacks examples, the examples lacks basic use of int <->
Rtype.int4.

Thanks

Philippe Strauss

Nov 4, 2010, 7:15:45 PM11/4/10
to caml...@inria.fr
oops, Rtypes.int_of_int4 and int4_of_int.

sorry.

Gerd Stolpmann

Nov 4, 2010, 9:03:02 PM11/4/10
to Philippe Strauss, caml...@inria.fr
Alternatively, you can instruct ocamlrpcgen to directly translate RPC
int's to int/int32/int64. E.g. "ocalmrpcgen -int unboxed", or
you demand the types in the .x file, e.g. use "_unboxed int".

See the manual for details:
http://projects.camlcity.org/projects/dl/ocamlnet-3.0.3/doc/html-main/Rpc_intro.html,
section "Mapping integer types".

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
ge...@gerd-stolpmann.de http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855 Fax: +49-6151-997714

Jake Donham

Nov 5, 2010, 12:52:59 PM11/5/10
to OCaml List
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Philippe Strauss <phi...@philou.ch> wrote:

> I need to use RPC in a current project of mine, but I don't get how do you
> write the type conversion and what is provided, taking a very basic example:

If you are using OCaml on both ends, you might prefer to use orpc:

http://jaked.github.com/orpc/

which generates stubs from OCaml signatures rather than ONC RPC interface
files.

Jake