[Caml-list] [ANN] Diamondback Ruby - Program Analysis for Ruby

Michael Furr

Apr 22, 2009, 7:18:29 PM4/22/09
to caml...@inria.fr

I am pleased to announce that the first public release of the
Diamondback Ruby static type inference system is now available!

http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/PL/druby/

The Diamondback Ruby (DRuby) project aims add a typing discipline to Ruby
that is simple for programmers to use, flexible enough to handle common
idioms, that provides programmers with additional checking where they want
it, and reverts to run-time checks where necessary.

DRuby is implemented in OCaml and its type system is built on top of a
more general framework for program analysis of Ruby programs. Our
framework includes its own GLR parser (thanks to dypgen), a simplified
intermediate language, pretty printers for emitting syntactically valid
Ruby code, and a library for instrumenting and profiling Ruby executions.

While the current release is tailored toward end-users of the type system,
we plan to distribute the underlying analysis framework separately in the
future. As such, I would like to invite anyone who is interested in
exploring program analysis for Ruby to consider using DRuby. We have a
mailing list setup on our website for general discussion and future
release announcements.

Cheers,
Mike Furr