[Caml-list] F# open sourced

Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Nov 12, 2010, 3:42:11 AM11/12/10
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsyme/archive/2010/11/04/announcing-the-f-compiler-library-source-code-drop.aspx

Good thing? Bad one?

(Just "Friday discussion" :-))

Misaotra, Thanks, Merci.

+261 34 56 000 19

Yoann Padioleau

Nov 12, 2010, 11:04:33 AM11/12/10
to Mihamina Rakotomandimby, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

On Nov 12, 2010, at 12:41 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

I thought it was already open source ... What is new with this announcement ?
When I downloaded F# 1.9.6.2 a few months ago the source of the compiler were already in the package.

Does it work with mono ?

Laurent Le Brun

Nov 12, 2010, 2:24:03 PM11/12/10
to Yoann Padioleau, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hi,

>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsyme/archive/2010/11/04/announcing-the-f-compiler-library-source-code-drop.aspx
>>
>> Good thing? Bad one?
>
> I thought it was already open source ... What is new with this announcement ?
> When I downloaded F# 1.9.6.2 a few months ago the source of the compiler were already in the package.

The source was available, but it was not under an open-source license
(it was Microsoft Research Shared Source license). There were a few
restrictions (i.e. on its redistribution). It's now an Apache 2.0
license.

> Does it work with mono ?

Yes. The last F# release is a bug-fix for Mono. Unix users might be
interested by the packages:
http://fsxplat.codeplex.com/releases/view/55463
Also, since the license change, the Mono team plans to distribute F#
as part of Mono for both OSX and Linux.

--
  Laurent

Yoann Padioleau

Nov 12, 2010, 10:55:46 PM11/12/10
to Laurent Le Brun, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

On Nov 12, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Laurent Le Brun wrote:

>> Does it work with mono ?
>
> Yes. The last F# release is a bug-fix for Mono. Unix users might be
> interested by the packages:
> http://fsxplat.codeplex.com/releases/view/55463

I've downloaded mono and the fsharp package for the Mac and 'fsharpi' seems to work.
Where are located the header files of the standard library ? (the equivalent of list.mli for instance).
There is only .dll files in /usr/lib/fsharp/

> Also, since the license change, the Mono team plans to distribute F#
> as part of Mono for both OSX and Linux.

Nice.

Laurent Le Brun

Nov 14, 2010, 1:37:46 PM11/14/10
On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Yoann Padioleau <pad...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I've downloaded mono and the fsharp package for the Mac and �'fsharpi' seems to work.
> Where are located the header files of the standard library ? (the equivalent of list.mli for instance).
> There is only .dll files in /usr/lib/fsharp/

Source code is not included in these packages. You can get the .fsi
files from the zip release at fsharp.net, or from the full source code
at fsharppowerpack.codeplex.com. However, you'll get a more complete
documentation online (see fsharp.net for links).

F# developers often rely on their editor for completion and
exploration. Monodevelop plugin for F# will be released in a few days
(and I'm working on F# Intellisense support in Emacs).