[Caml-list] Jane street's core (et al.) post-hurricane code release

Till Varoquaux

Sep 1, 2011, 4:40:35 PM9/1/11
to caml...@inria.fr
This release comes right after an earthquake and a hurricane so you know
this is going to be strong stuff!
This is our latest and greatest release of Jane street Core and
supporting libraries. For this release we've decided to move towards a
versioning scheme that is more coherent to our internal system so
everything is version 107.01.
With this release Sexplib Typeconv and Bin-prot are no longer included.
This is because we've merged back with Markus's version and now release
them from ocamlforge. They are packaged with oasis thus bringing you the
easiest to build, most portable release yet.
Sexplib and Bin-prot have had version bumps to fix compatibility issues
found while packaging Core. You should grab the latest version while
they are hot at:

_Sexplib (7.0.2) : https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/sexplib/
_Bin-prot (2.0.3): https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/bin-prot/
This release of bin-prot also includes contributions by Stéphane
Glondu to make it portable on all the architectures that debian is
compiled for. Thank you Stéphane!

All the other libraries are download-able from our own webpage
(http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/13)
The released libraries now all come with a [doc] build target that
extracts the ocamldoc HTML documentation. This documentation can also be
browsed online on our website.

_Fieldslib(107.01): Just a version bump
_Core(107.01): Core's support for Timezones has been improved. The
effort to provide a coherent,typesafe approach to programming carries on
with new types and module to deal with identifiers, ip host/port couple
etc...
_Core_extended(107.01):
New wrapper for Posix_clocks.
More function to handle backward and forward compatibility in sexp
Sexp_extended.
[Types] is a module used to do type runtime introspection of ocaml
values (by using an universal value).

New in this release:

_Variantslib(107.01): A syntax extension to scaffold constructor
functions and accessors automatically from variant type definitions.
_Patdiff(107.01): Patdiff is a nifty diffing code utility that generates
diffs designed to be read by humans and not computers. It uses the
patience-diff algorithm to do inter-line and intra-line and diffs.

-Till

Sergei Lebedev

Sep 5, 2011, 2:24:41 PM9/5/11
to caml...@inria.fr
Has anyone managed to compile the latest Core release? I've ended up with
the following error, after trying both type-conv == 2.3.0 (from Jane Street
downloads [1]) and type-conv == 3.0.0 (which is unfortunately the only
version available in Arch User Repository [2]):

I: Running command '/usr/bin/ocamlbuild lib/libcore.a lib/dllcore.so
lib/core.cma lib/core.cmxa lib/core.a -tag debug'
Finished, 0 targets (0 cached) in 00:00:00.
+ ocamlfind ocamldep -package unix -package threads -package sexplib.syntax
-package sexplib -package res -package fieldslib.syntax -package fieldslib
-package bin_prot.syntax -package bin_prot -package bigarray -syntax camlp4o
-modules lib/agnostic_mutex.mli > lib/agnostic_mutex.mli.depends
Camlp4: Uncaught exception: DynLoader.Error
("/usr/lib/ocaml/fieldslib/pa_fields_conv.cma", "interface mismatch on
Pa_type_conv")

This does look like a version mismatch, any hints?

Thanks,
Sergei

[1] http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/13

Markus Mottl

Sep 5, 2011, 4:39:40 PM9/5/11
to Sergei Lebedev, caml...@inria.fr
It seems you have compiled fieldslib with a different version of
type-conv than is being used to build "core". You may want to
reinstall fieldslib with your current type-conv.

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus...@gmail.com

Sergei Lebedev

Sep 6, 2011, 1:34:56 PM9/6/11
to Markus Mottl, caml...@inria.fr
Thanks, re-installing fieldslib and bin_prot helped. By the way, why is
there two version of type-conv around?

Regards,
Sergei

Markus Mottl

Sep 6, 2011, 2:39:05 PM9/6/11
to Sergei Lebedev, caml...@inria.fr
Jane Street and I are currently merging and moving our code bases to
OCaml Forge. Once this process is fully completed, the version on
OCaml Forge will become the authoritative one. I will remove my
separate distribution from my download site then, and my guess is that
Jane Street will eventually also just link to the download page on the
Forge to avoid confusion.

Regards,
Markus

Kakadu

Sep 14, 2011, 7:17:33 AM9/14/11
Can you help me with compiling core_extended?

/media/disk/kakadu/macos_vb/installed/core_extended-107.01/_build$

ocamlfind ocamldep -package unix -package threads -package
sexplib.syntax -package sexplib -package res -package fieldslib.syntax

-package fieldslib -package core -package bin_prot.syntax -package

bin_prot -package bigarray -syntax camlp4o -modules lib/

extended_sexp.ml > lib/extended_sexp.ml.depends
File "lib/extended_sexp.ml", line 70, characters 14-68:
Failure: "antiquotation not allowed here"
Preprocessing error on file lib/extended_sexp.ml

/media/disk/kakadu/macos_vb/installed/core_extended-107.01/_build$ awk
'NR >= 65 && NR <= 72' ../lib/extended_sexp.ml
let rec format = function
| Atom s -> Pp.text (Sexplib.Pre_sexp.maybe_esc_str s)
| List l when List.for_all ~f:is_atom l -> Pp.fgrp (par l)
| List l -> Pp.agrp (par l)
and par l =
Pp.text "(" $ Pp.nest indent (Pp.list ~sep:Pp.break ~f:format l) $
Pp.text ")"

let to_string_hum' sexp = Pp.to_string (format sexp)

Best wishes,
Kakadu

ygrek

Sep 16, 2011, 4:02:34 PM9/16/11
to caml...@inria.fr
On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:33:56 -0400
Till Varoquaux <ti...@janestreet.com> wrote:

> All the other libraries are download-able from our own webpage
> (http://ocaml.janestreet.com/?q=node/13)

Wished that was true! Currently all links on that page are 404.

BTW core_extended 107.1 doesn't build with ocaml 3.12.1 - ($) operator
in pp.ml is treated as antiquotation by camlp4 - changing it to (%) fixes
the problem - please have a look.

--
ygrek
http://ygrek.org.ua

Markus Mottl

Sep 16, 2011, 5:14:10 PM9/16/11
to ygrek, caml...@inria.fr, opens...@janestreet.com
Hi,

this seems like a good occasion to announce the availability of the
latest versions of Jane Street Core, Core Extended, and related
libraries (type-conv, bin-prot, sexplib, fieldslib, variantslib) in
Godi. Your preprocessing problem should be fixed in the latest
versions of these packages. For manual installation you may need to
download some of them from OCaml Forge instead, which is more
up-to-date. All packages should build on both Linux and Mac OS X.
Jane Street's "patdiff" tool should also become available in Godi some
time later today.

Regards,
Markus
--