[Caml-list] OCaml PLEAC reaches 100%

Dave Benjamin

Jan 30, 2009, 9:52:56 AM1/30/09
to caml...@inria.fr
Greetings,

It is with great pleasure, and fair bit of relief, that I announce the
completion of the OCaml PLEAC!

The PLEAC project aims to translate the source code examples from the
Perl Cookbook into many languages. The OCaml version was started in 2001.

Note that by "completion", I am speaking from a purely numerical
perspective. There is still plenty of room for improvement, but I can
say with confidence that every recipe in the original cookbook has been
given either a faithful translation into OCaml or an explanation for why
such a translation is impossible or unnecessary, with a strong
preference for the former.

The last few chapters contain many networking and (circa 1998) web
programming examples, primarily written with Ocamlnet. There is even a
hand-written ICMP ping, should you ever find that you need one. Also
featured are several examples of Richard Jones' Bitstring, Weblogs, and
Perl4caml libraries, a text-mode screen saver for curses, and of course
the obligatory .signature rotator. Enjoy!

The PLEAC project and OCaml version are available at these locations,
respectively:

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ocaml/index.html

Thanks to the following people who, along with myself, contributed
directly to the OCaml PLEAC:

Erik de Castro Lopo
Jean-Christophe ARNU
Neale Pickett
Pixel
Remi VANICAT
Stefano Zacchiroli
William Douglas Neumann

Additional bug fixes and improvements were made possible with help,
knowingly or unknowingly, from the following individuals via their posts
to the caml-list and pleac-discuss mailing lists, personal email, or
contributions to other language implementations of PLEAC:

Alain Frisch
Andrew Johnson
Clément Capel
David Brown
David Mentré
Guillaume Cottenceau
Janne Hellsten
Ken Wakita
Mac Mason
Miguel Pignatelli
Paul King

Finally, I'd personally like to give my sincere thanks to Anthony Borla
and Pixel, for their support and enthusiasm; to Guillaume Cottenceau for
hosting and maintaining this project for so many years; to Tom
Christiansen for writing the vast majority of the original Perl recipes;
and to O'Reilly for giving permission to rewrite the Perl Cookbook's
source and thus allowing PLEAC to exist.

Best wishes,
Dave

Daniel Bünzli

Jan 30, 2009, 10:33:35 AM1/30/09
to OCaml List
Very nice, congratulations to all the contributors.

A link on this should be added to humps.

Best,

Daniel

David Teller

Jan 30, 2009, 2:18:36 PM1/30/09
to Alexy Khrabrov, caml...@inria.fr
Next step: the OCaml Batteries PLEAC :)

Cheers,
David

(and thanks to Dave and all the contributors for their work)

--
David Teller-Rajchenbach
Security of Distributed Systems