[Caml-list] Ledit 3.10

Ralph Douglass

Jun 17, 2007, 12:39:51 PM6/17/07
to Caml List
Is there a copy of ledit floating around that compiles under 3.10? The
latest version I found was 1.13, at http://pauillac.inria.fr/~ddr/ledit/. I
may just not know where to look.

Thanks,
Ralph

micha

Jun 17, 2007, 12:53:31 PM6/17/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Am Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:31:55 -0400
schrieb "Ralph Douglass" <ra...@grayskies.net>:

you can also try rlwrap, works very well

Michael

Daniel de Rauglaudre

Jun 17, 2007, 1:42:01 PM6/17/07
to Caml List
Hi,

Ledit compiles perfectly with Camlp4s that you can download on my site.

I am sorry, I am not going to port my softwares (GeneWeb, ledit,
mlrogue, olibrt) into the new Camlp4, because I don't agree with the
fundamental choices of that camlp4 (in particular, changes in the
syntax tree, and I disagree the use of some libraries, programs,
programming and compilation technics, interfaces, tools, source
tree).

These choices are too different to be compatible with my point of
view. I would like to cooperate with the OCaml team to improve their
Camlp4, they are nice people but they are taking to what I call
wrong directions. (They know my point of view, I told them.)

I need Camlp4 for GeneWeb, but I did not manage to port it to the new
Camlp4, and it is the main reason why I resurected the version of
Camlp4 I had. These days, I have been preparing a new version with a
new pretty printing system used and documentation pages.

If it is a question of naming, I can rename my Camlp4 into Camlp5 or
whatever, but ledit will not be translated into the Camlp4 distributed
with OCaml.

--
Daniel de Rauglaudre
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~ddr/

Jon Harrop

Jun 18, 2007, 4:41:59 PM6/18/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

You just need to translate the sources into vanilla OCaml using OCaml 3.09 and
camlp4 and then it is forwards compatible:

$ mkdir trans
$ camlp4o -I ext pa_s.cmo pr_dump.cmo pr_o.cmo cursor.ml >trans/cursor.ml
$ camlp4o -I ext pa_s.cmo pr_dump.cmo pr_o.cmo ledit.ml >trans/ledit.ml
$ camlp4o -I ext pa_s.cmo pr_dump.cmo pr_o.cmo go.ml >trans/go.ml

Then you can compile the new sources (in ./trans) with OCaml 3.10:

$ cd trans
$ ocamlopt unix.cmxa cursor.ml ledit.ml go.ml -o ledit

Hey presto, new ledit binary. Ah, the beauty of camlp4. :-)

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e