[Caml-list] The F#.NET Journal

Jon Harrop

Apr 17, 2007, 4:12:28 PM4/17/07
to Caml List

Flying Frog Consultancy just started the F#.NET Journal, an on-line
publication composed of articles, example source code and tutorial videos
aimed at beginner programmers learning the F# programming language from
Microsoft Research:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?ob

Given the current explosion in the adoption of functional programming
languages, we're considering trying to mimic this success with an OCaml
Journal. If you'd be interested in subscribing, please let us know.

The F#.NET Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?e

Richard Jones

Apr 18, 2007, 4:56:43 AM4/18/07
to Jon Harrop
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:06:38PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

> Flying Frog Consultancy just started the F#.NET Journal, an on-line
> publication composed of articles, example source code and tutorial videos
> aimed at beginner programmers learning the F# programming language from
> Microsoft Research:
[...]

Does F# run on real operating systems? Does it have a full open
source stack?

(Genuine questions - you seem to be saying a lot of good things about
F#).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

Robert Pickering

Apr 18, 2007, 5:34:19 AM4/18/07
to ri...@annexia.org, j...@ffconsultancy.com

Depends what one means by "real operating" systems. But yes it will run under linux using mono, I believe people have tried it on OS X too and it didn't work but this was due to a fault in Mono's implemenation of tail call. A bug report has been filed with the mono team so a fix should be forth coming.

The source of the implementation is available, but the license is not, for the moment, open source.

Cheers,
Rob

Jon Harrop

Apr 18, 2007, 6:19:49 AM4/18/07
to caml...@inria.fr
On Wednesday 18 April 2007 10:32, Robert Pickering wrote:
> Depends what one means by "real operating" systems. But yes it will run
> under linux using mono,

From a recent benchmark I did, Mono is very, very slow. I've no idea what
they're doing wrong but I was seeing 10-30x slower than .NET.

So if you're interested in performance, I recommend writing code in the
intersection of OCaml and F#. That can be tricky though, because operator
overloading is just so damn nice. ;-)

The F#.NET Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?e

Brian Hurt

Apr 18, 2007, 6:57:54 PM4/18/07
to Richard Jones

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:06:38PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:
>>
>> Flying Frog Consultancy just started the F#.NET Journal, an on-line
>> publication composed of articles, example source code and tutorial videos
>> aimed at beginner programmers learning the F# programming language from
>> Microsoft Research:
> [...]
>
> Does F# run on real operating systems? Does it have a full open
> source stack?

Overall, I see F# as a good thing for Ocaml. OK, it draws some of it's
support from the Ocaml community (John Harrop here being an obvious
example)- thus dilluting the pool of energy from Ocaml, at least in the
short term. But any F# programmer can pick up Ocaml in short order, and
vice versa (not unlike the C#/Java communities).

But I think were F# will really draw it's people from is outside the
community. It'll draw from the vast horde of C#/VB/C++ Windows
programmers. Draw people from outside the community to inside the
community. And sooner or later many of them are going to start looking
for an F# that runs on Linux/Unix.

Even if I'm wrong, even if F# is a net loss for Ocaml, I still can't help
viewing F# as a good thing over all. Anything which helps programmers
write code that doesn't *SUCK* is an advantage to us all- and every
programmer coding in F# is a programmer not coding in C#, VB, or, God help
us, C++. Making code proven free of large classes of bugs, and many other
bugs rare indeed is a definate good. And bluntly, most software- free
software as well as proprietary, sucks large rocks through very small
pipettes.

Just my two cents.

Brian

skaller

Apr 18, 2007, 8:08:19 PM4/18/07
to Brian Hurt
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 18:57 -0400, Brian Hurt wrote:

> Overall, I see F# as a good thing for Ocaml. OK, it draws some of it's
> support from the Ocaml community (John Harrop here being an obvious
> example)- thus dilluting the pool of energy from Ocaml, at least in the
> short term.

That's a product of INRIA's Cathedral. There's a door on the
Church where I can pin bug reports.

> But any F# programmer can pick up Ocaml in short order, and
> vice versa (not unlike the C#/Java communities).

>From a software engineering viewpoint all we have
is a superficial resemblance.

Gilles FALCON

Apr 19, 2007, 12:52:00 PM4/19/07
to Brian Hurt
Hello,

F# comes with a nice IDE, I think another IDE (as eclipse for ie)
could help people to come to ocaml.
Ocaml tools with Emacs are nice for strong programmer.

Just my two cents.

Gilles