[Caml-list] I'm looking for an OCaml book

Fabrice Marchant

Sep 23, 2007, 3:49:57 PM9/23/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hello !

It is quite stupid to write this question with my naughty english :
I live in France and this question is only directed at Belgian and French residents.
I'm looking for Jon's book : "OCaml for scientists" ( That's free pub indeed ! ) in France or in Belgium.
Parce que, importation des States -> frais et taxes.

Savez-vous où je pourrais acheter le bouquin - même d'occasion -, s'il vous plaît ?
(Pas l'emprunter à la B.U..)

J'ai contacté de grandes librairies techniques sans succès. Je me débrouille peut-être mal mais cela fait un moment que je suis sur le coup ...

Merci d'avance.

Fabrice

Mathias Kende

Sep 23, 2007, 6:09:54 PM9/23/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hello

I would like to know if there are references on the OCaml VM other than
the source code of bytecomp/byterun, I found none on the OCaml website.
My aim would be to write a small compiler that would target the OCaml
runtime systems.

Thank you.
Mathias

Dominique Martinet

Sep 24, 2007, 3:37:21 AM9/24/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
On 23/09/2007, Fabrice Marchant <fabrice...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello !
>
> It is quite stupid to write this question with my naughty english :
> I live in France and this question is only directed at Belgian and French residents.
> I'm looking for Jon's book : "OCaml for scientists" ( That's free pub indeed ! ) in France or in Belgium.
> Parce que, importation des States -> frais et taxes.
>
> Savez-vous où je pourrais acheter le bouquin - même d'occasion -, s'il vous plaît ?
> (Pas l'emprunter à la B.U..)
>
> J'ai contacté de grandes librairies techniques sans succès. Je me débrouille peut-être mal mais cela fait un moment que je suis sur le coup ...
>
> Merci d'avance.
>
> Fabrice
> OCaml : le langage fait par des français qui parlent anglais.

A quick google search (looking for '"Ocaml for scientists" france')
yeilded a single result of the editor's site -
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/ -, saying
that you can get it at "Le Monde en Tique" (
http://www.lmet.fr/fiche.cgi?_ISBN=9780FLYING002&_WORDS=objective%20caml
)

I don't think it's a better deal though, it costs 180€ there, and it's
"only" £85 (122€) on the flying frogs' site, so some taxes might be
better :)

(Sorry for not answering in French, but as you've written, ocaml's a
French-speaking-English thing ;) )

fo...@x9c.fr

Sep 24, 2007, 5:32:59 AM9/24/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

Le 23 sept. 07 à 23:38, Mathias Kende a écrit :

> Hello
>
> I would like to know if there are references on the OCaml VM other
> than
> the source code of bytecomp/byterun, I found none on the OCaml
> website.
> My aim would be to write a small compiler that would target the OCaml
> runtime systems.

While developping OCaml-Java, I had to reverse-engineer this
information.
I produced two pdf files available at http://cadmium.x9c.fr/
downloads.html :
- caml-formats.pdf describes both the marshalled data format and the
bytecode file format;
- caml-instructions.pdf describes all the instructions used by the
OCaml VM.

Hope this helps,

Xavier

PS: I would be happy to hear about every mistake you find in these
documents

Gordon Henriksen

Sep 24, 2007, 8:23:12 AM9/24/07
to fo...@x9c.fr, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
On 2007-09-24, at 05:29, fo...@x9c.fr wrote:

> Le 23 sept. 07 à 23:38, Mathias Kende a écrit :
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I would like to know if there are references on the OCaml VM other
>> than
>> the source code of bytecomp/byterun, I found none on the OCaml
>> website.
>> My aim would be to write a small compiler that would target the OCaml
>> runtime systems.
>
> While developping OCaml-Java, I had to reverse-engineer this
> information.
> I produced two pdf files available at http://cadmium.x9c.fr/
> downloads.html :
> - caml-formats.pdf describes both the marshalled data format and
> the bytecode file format;
> - caml-instructions.pdf describes all the instructions used by the
> OCaml VM.

Xavier,

Nicely done.

— Gordon

Jon Harrop

Sep 24, 2007, 6:32:51 PM9/24/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
On Sunday 23 September 2007 18:49:33 Fabrice Marchant wrote:
> Hello !
>
> It is quite stupid to write this question with my naughty english:

You probably mean "imperfect English". The phrase "naughty English" makes it
sound like you've only mastered the phrase "sucky sucky ten dollar". ;-)

> I live in France and this question is only directed at Belgian and French
> residents. I'm looking for Jon's book : "OCaml for scientists" ( That's
> free pub indeed ! ) in France or in Belgium.

>------------------------------ Parce que, importation des States -> frais et
> taxes.

To the best of my knowledge, my book is only resold in France by Le Monde en
Tique, as Dominique mentioned. However, you mention taxes and, although I do
not understand exactly what you have written, I do not believe any taxes are
incurred because we are both within the EU.

As an aside, OCaml for Scientists is still our best-selling product and we
shipped £1,000 worth of OCaml for Scientists a single week last month
following this wonderful blog post:

http://www.uncarved.com

Sounds like an OCaml in Finance book is sorely needed! :-)

Let me know if you need any more specific OCaml resources and I'll do my best
to create them.

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e

Fabrice Marchant

Sep 25, 2007, 6:30:28 AM9/25/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Thanks a lot Dominique and Jon !

"Dominique wrote:"
> I don't think it's a better deal though, it costs 180€ there, and it's
> "only" £85 (122€) on the flying frogs' site, so some taxes might be
> better :)

A bug in my brain : for months I was sure to have read $85 instead of 85 pound sterling !

"Jon wrote:"
> However, you mention taxes and, although I do
> not understand exactly what you have written, I do not believe any
> taxes are incurred because we are both within the EU.

I believed it was 85 $ and then, seeing a higher french price and trying to explain the difference, I imagined huge taxes or exportation shipping cost.

> I would like to offer you a discounted copy of OCaml for Scientists at only £60.
> If you accept, I only ask that you write positive things about my book
> (assuming you like it!).

I cheerfully accept and promise, but in french, if you agree.
(I think to write a page explaining why I fall for Caml and forget C++. Can add another one about the lot of interesting things I'll discover in your book.)

Will contact you in private mail for this preferential order !

Regards,

Fabrice

Mathias Kende

Sep 25, 2007, 11:29:58 AM9/25/07
to OCaml List
Le lundi 24 septembre 2007 à 11:29 +0200, fo...@x9c.fr a écrit :
> While developping OCaml-Java, I had to reverse-engineer this
> information.
> I produced two pdf files available at http://cadmium.x9c.fr/
> downloads.html :
> - caml-formats.pdf describes both the marshalled data format and the
> bytecode file format;
> - caml-instructions.pdf describes all the instructions used by the
> OCaml VM.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Someone also gave a
link to this page in an answer not forwarded to the list (I send it here
for references):
http://cristal.inria.fr/~lebotlan/docaml_html/french/ or
http://cristal.inria.fr/~lebotlan/docaml_html/english/

Mathias

Orlin Grigorov

Sep 25, 2007, 11:40:31 PM9/25/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hey, guys,

Any idea how I can get hold of "OCaml for Scientists" in Canada?

Thanks,

Orlin

Jon Harrop

Sep 26, 2007, 12:51:30 AM9/26/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 04:39:15 Orlin Grigorov wrote:
> Hey, guys,
>
> Any idea how I can get hold of "OCaml for Scientists" in Canada?

We deliver direct to customers all over the world. Just order from this page:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e

Incidentally, if anyone in Antartica wants a copy then I'll give you one for
free just so that I can claim to have copies in all continents. ;-)