[Caml-list] OCaml PLEAC reaches 70%

1 view

Dave Benjamin

Jun 29, 2008, 12:30:21 PM6/29/08
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hello,

The PLEAC project aims to translate the source code examples of the Perl
Cookbook to many programming languages. I have been working steadily for
the past two years toward completing the OCaml translation. As of today,
it is 70.71% complete, in between Ruby (64.43%) and Python (85.43%).

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ocaml/index.html

Much of my recent work has been on the file I/O chapters, which cover
the topics of reading and writing to files using Pervasives and the Unix
module. The file access chapter covers argument parsing, file locking,
buffering and non-blocking I/O:

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ocaml/fileaccess.html

The file contents chapter contains some helpful examples of working with
Streams and Buffers, line-indexing of large files, and manipulation of
binary data including an example of using Richard Jones' Bitmatch
library to parse and "tail" Linux's binary "utmp" database of login events:

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ocaml/filecontents.html

I have updated the PDF version as well, if you prefer to read PLEAC in
an offline format. You can download it here:

http://ramenlabs.com/pleac-pdf/pleac_ocaml.pdf

As always, feedback, corrections, and contributions are more than
welcome, and I will do my best to make suggested improvements. I think
that, despite being somewhat Perl-centric and in need of more
explanation, the OCaml PLEAC has already become a valuable resource. I
refer to it frequently myself. Hopefully some day there will be a real
OCaml Cookbook. In the meantime, there are a lot of practical code
snippets that can save a few trips to the manual / interface files. I
hope you find it useful as well.

Thanks,
Dave

Erik de Castro Lopo

Jun 29, 2008, 4:36:47 PM6/29/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Dave Benjamin wrote:

> The PLEAC project aims to translate the source code examples of the Perl
> Cookbook to many programming languages. I have been working steadily for
> the past two years toward completing the OCaml translation. As of today,
> it is 70.71% complete, in between Ruby (64.43%) and Python (85.43%).

Thats a fantastic effort David. Congratulations.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I
have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two
ideas." -- George Bernard Shaw

Dave Benjamin

Jun 30, 2008, 12:58:20 AM6/30/08
to caml...@inria.fr
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Dave Benjamin wrote:
>
>> The PLEAC project aims to translate the source code examples of the Perl
>> Cookbook to many programming languages. I have been working steadily for
>> the past two years toward completing the OCaml translation. As of today,
>> it is 70.71% complete, in between Ruby (64.43%) and Python (85.43%).
>
> Thats a fantastic effort David. Congratulations.

Thanks, Erik!