[Caml-list] ANN: ocamljs 0.1, OCaml to Javascript compiler

Jake Donham

Oct 11, 2007, 1:44:55 PM10/11/07
to caml...@inria.fr
Hi,

We are pleased to announce a preliminary version of ocamljs, a back-end
to ocamlc that produces Javascript. It needs a lot of work still, but we
are using it for production work at Skydeck. We hope that you will find
it useful. More at:

http://skydeck.com/blog/programming/ocamljs-ocaml-to-javascript-compiler/

Jake Donham, for Skydeck

Jake Donham

Oct 11, 2007, 6:46:35 PM10/11/07
to caml...@inria.fr
On 10/11/07, Arnaud Spiwack <aspi...@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
> However lack of cross-browser portability seems a severe drawback to me.

We have not tested it on browsers other than Firefox but that doesn't
mean it won't work (or can't be made to work) on others. My
understanding is that it is the DOM rather than the Javascript dialect
that varies across browsers.

> To write javascript code, it is more and more popular to use frameworks
> (well, it is indispensible actually). My personnal favorite, which seems
> to be rather popular is http://mootools.net/ . It provides better
> constructs for basic operations (and then high level more specialized
> stuff). I would love to see your product actually producing mootools
> core (or a bit not so core) code.

I don't know mootools, but it is very straightforward to wrap
Javascript in OCaml with ocamljs; see the included Mozilla library for
a small example.

Jake

Komtanoo Pinpimai

Oct 11, 2007, 9:07:36 PM10/11/07
to caml...@inria.fr
How about ocaml => java => gwt => javascript. ;)

--
virtue is like underwear, it has to go with you, but you do not need to show
it.

David Teller

Oct 12, 2007, 12:48:26 PM10/12/07
to Jake Donham, caml...@inria.fr
That's absolutely great news !
I was just considering writing one such myself.

Cheers,
David

Peter....@cis.strath.ac.uk

Oct 17, 2007, 2:40:06 PM10/17/07
to caml...@inria.fr, Jake Donham
Jake Donham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are pleased to announce a preliminary version of ocamljs, a back-end
to ocamlc that produces Javascript. It needs a lot of work still, but we

> are using it for production work at Skydeck. We hope that you will find
it useful. More at:

> http://skydeck.com/blog/programming/ocamljs-ocaml-to-javascript-compiler/
>
> Jake Donham, for Skydeck

Hi

I've been trying to get ocamljs installed and have run into a problem.
I've installed Ocaml 3.10, and sym-linked the install directory, but when
I try to make ocamljs, ocamlbuild seems to fail.

Not even one file builds, and after a long error message, finally reports:

Exiting due to hygiene violations.
Compilation unsuccessful after building 0 targets (0 cached) in 00:00:10.

I'm using Cygwin, if that helps.

Thanks,
Peter.

Nathaniel Gray

Oct 18, 2007, 12:39:20 PM10/18/07
to Peter....@cis.strath.ac.uk, caml...@inria.fr, Jake Donham
I think that means you need to "make clean" before you try to build
with ocamlbuild.

Cheers,
-n8

On 10/17/07, Peter....@cis.strath.ac.uk