[Caml-list] OcaIDE: a new Eclipse plug-in for O'Caml

Nicolas Bros

Jul 13, 2007, 4:20:08 PM7/13/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hello everybody,

I am happy to announce the release of OcaIDE: a new Eclipse plug-in for
O'Caml.
Please visit this site for more information, screenshots, and to install it:
http://ocaml.eclipse.ortsa.com

Thank you, and have a good day!

Vu Ngoc San

Jul 14, 2007, 2:26:24 AM7/14/07
to Nicolas Bros, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
it looks very nice, and I am tempted to give it a try, although I have
never used eclipse.... but does it really need eclipse 3.3 ?
Debian packages (unstable) provide only 3.2...

San

pS: btw, please don't use frames in your website, especially when
external links don't open in the _principal_ frame. ;)

Luca Pascali

Jul 14, 2007, 3:50:40 AM7/14/07
to Caml List
Vu Ngoc San wrote:
> it looks very nice, and I am tempted to give it a try, although I have
> never used eclipse.... but does it really need eclipse 3.3 ?
> Debian packages (unstable) provide only 3.2...

I tried to use it on my Debian Lenny (with packed eclipse 3.2) and it
seems work.
Very nice project.
Usually I don't like eclipse (it's too heavy and slow, but if it works
it can be fine).

I have imported one big project of mine and it took it without any
problem but the creation of another makefile named "makefile" (mine is
"Makefile")
With luck, make considers first "Makefile" name and then "makefile", but
adding a little check should not be a big challenge.
If it should also be possible to use the capital name instead of the
lower case one as default or at least letting the programmer to choose
which name use (only in Windows this is not important)
> [...]
> Nicolas Bros wrote:
[...]

Anyway it is a very nice project.

Luca

Nicolas Bros

Jul 14, 2007, 4:16:00 AM7/14/07
to Luca Pascali, Caml List

> I have imported one big project of mine and it took it without any
> problem but the creation of another makefile named "makefile" (mine is
> "Makefile")
> With luck, make considers first "Makefile" name and then "makefile", but
> adding a little check should not be a big challenge.

For importing projects, you can use the "OCaml Empty Makefile Project"
project creation wizard. It creates a makefile project without any files
inside. Whereas the other kind of makefile project wizard, "OCaml Makefile
Project" is meant to be used as a starting point for a new project.

If it should also be possible to use the capital name instead of the
> lower case one as default or at least letting the programmer to choose
> which name use (only in Windows this is not important)

The name is determined by the "make" command, since it is called to build
the project.

Anyway it is a very nice project.

Thank you

Nicolas Bros

Jul 14, 2007, 4:19:54 AM7/14/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

> it looks very nice, and I am tempted to give it a try, although I have
> never used eclipse.... but does it really need eclipse 3.3 ?
> Debian packages (unstable) provide only 3.2...

It should work well with Eclipse 3.2 too, although I recommend Eclipse 3.3,
because that is the version I have tested it most extensively with.

Eclipse is easy to install, you can just grab the archive, unzip it, and run
it from any folder on your hard drive.

pS: btw, please don't use frames in your website, especially when
> external links don't open in the _principal_ frame. ;)

Thanks for the advice, I will see what I can do.

And thank you for your interest in OcaIDE.

David Allsopp

Jul 14, 2007, 11:38:29 AM7/14/07
to Caml List
> With luck, make considers first "Makefile" name and then "makefile",
> but adding a little check should not be a big challenge.
GNU make considers GNUmakefile, makefile then Makefile
Makefile is more usual than makefile (and is recommended in the man page...)

> The name is determined by the "make" command, since it is called to build
> the project.

The -f switch for make allows another filename to be specified - although
I've not (yet) looked at the plugin this would probably be useful for
projects that have Makefile (for UNIX) and Makefile.nt (for Windows)

Nicolas Bros

Jul 14, 2007, 11:48:52 AM7/14/07
to David Allsopp, Caml List
> > With luck, make considers first "Makefile" name and then "makefile",
> > but adding a little check should not be a big challenge.
> GNU make considers GNUmakefile, makefile then Makefile
> Makefile is more usual than makefile (and is recommended in the man page...)
>
> > The name is determined by the "make" command, since it is called to build
> > the project.
> The -f switch for make allows another filename to be specified - although
> I've not (yet) looked at the plugin this would probably be useful for
> projects that have Makefile (for UNIX) and Makefile.nt (for Windows)

If I understand you, you would rather a "Makefile" file was generated
instead of a "makefile"?

David Allsopp

Jul 14, 2007, 11:53:58 AM7/14/07
to Caml List
> > > With luck, make considers first "Makefile" name and then "makefile",
> > > but adding a little check should not be a big challenge.
> > GNU make considers GNUmakefile, makefile then Makefile
> > Makefile is more usual than makefile (and is recommended in the man
> > page...)
> >
> > > The name is determined by the "make" command, since it is called to
> > build
> > > the project.
> > The -f switch for make allows another filename to be specified -
> > although I've not (yet) looked at the plugin this would probably be
> > useful for projects that have Makefile (for UNIX) and Makefile.nt (for
> > Windows)
>
> If I understand you, you would rather a "Makefile" file was generated
> instead of a "makefile"?

Yes - which I think is what the OP was hinting at too.

Luca Pascali

Jul 14, 2007, 11:54:24 AM7/14/07
to Caml List
David Allsopp wrote:
[...]

>> The name is determined by the "make" command, since it is called to build
>> the project.
>>
> The -f switch for make allows another filename to be specified - although
> I've not (yet) looked at the plugin this would probably be useful for
> projects that have Makefile (for UNIX) and Makefile.nt (for Windows)

Yep.
Anyway I looked into the source of the plug in and I found the exact
point where the makefile is named in lowercase (I found 2 points, one in
with capital and one in lower case).

As soon as I find how to install the modified plugin into Eclipse, I'll
check if there are no side effects and I will submit the patch to the
development team.
Then they will consider or drop my patch.

I'm not dicussing it here, because that's Java, not OCaml. :-)

Luca

Gabriel Kerneis

Jul 14, 2007, 11:55:43 AM7/14/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Hello everybody,

so we have :
http://ocamldt.free.fr/
http://ocaml.eclipse.ortsa.com:8480/ocaide/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocaml-eclipse (Haskell based)
http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/ocaml/ (dead ?)
http://ocaml.eclipse.free.fr/ (couldn't find any information about
this one except the url - in french obviously)

Did anybody test some of them ? What about merging the best of each one
in a common plugin ?

I've never used Eclipse but things seem to be moving in the Ocaml
community and I'm curious...

Regards,
--
Gabriel

signature.asc

Nicolas Bros

Jul 14, 2007, 12:21:26 PM7/14/07
to Gabriel Kerneis, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
The last one (http://ocaml.eclipse.free.fr/) is the same as OcaIDE. It
was only a temporary page to test plug-in installation. I updated the
page to redirect to the new site.

> Did anybody test some of them ?

I tested ocamldt, and the basic features (syntax coloring, compiling,
error markers) work well, but it doesn't have as many features as
OcaIDE. I also found that the outline doesn't work on big source
files.

ocaml-eclipse seems to have been aborted right after it started (by
the looks of the cvs source tree)

The O'Caml part of eclipsefp hasn't seen much development in the last
several years, but I have seen that a student is working on improving
it, as a google summer of code project.

Nicolas BROS

Gabriel Kerneis

Jul 14, 2007, 1:38:28 PM7/14/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Le Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:18:27 +0200, "Nicolas Bros"
<nicola...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > it looks very nice, and I am tempted to give it a try, although I
> > have never used eclipse.... but does it really need eclipse 3.3 ?
> > Debian packages (unstable) provide only 3.2...
> It should work well with Eclipse 3.2 too, although I recommend
> Eclipse 3.3, because that is the version I have tested it most
> extensively with.

Doesn't work for me with Debian (unstable) Eclipse 3.2.

"The selected wizard could not be started.
Reason : Plugin Ocaml was unable to load class
ocaml.wizards.OcamlNewMakeProjectWizard"

(same for the two other wizards)

And switching to Ocaml perspective fails as well :
"Problem opening perspective".

As well as setting the preferences :
"An error has occurred when creating this preference page."

Too bad, the screenshots look great. I'll give Eclipse 3.3 a try.

Regards,
--
Gabriel

signature.asc

Nicolas Bros

Jul 14, 2007, 1:44:36 PM7/14/07
to Gabriel Kerneis, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
> Doesn't work for me with Debian (unstable) Eclipse 3.2.
>
> "The selected wizard could not be started.
> Reason : Plugin Ocaml was unable to load class
> ocaml.wizards.OcamlNewMakeProjectWizard"

I think this might be a problem with the JVM instead of Eclipse. What
version of the JVM do you have? Is it Sun's latest 1.6? (I have
already seen this kind of errors while using GCJ)

ogrisel

Jul 16, 2007, 5:13:10 PM7/16/07
On 14 juil, 19:44, "Nicolas Bros" <nicolas.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Doesn't work for me with Debian (unstable) Eclipse 3.2.
>
> > "The selected wizard could not be started.
> > Reason : Plugin Ocaml was unable to load class
> > ocaml.wizards.OcamlNewMakeProjectWizard"
>
> I think this might be a problem with the JVM instead of Eclipse. What
> version of the JVM do you have? Is it Sun's latest 1.6? (I have
> already seen this kind of errors while using GCJ)

Same problem here with eclipse 3.3 (RC) + sun java 1.5.0_11-b03
(latest from feisty).

Grégory Guyomarc'h

Jul 18, 2007, 8:22:29 PM7/18/07
to caml...@inria.fr
On 7/14/07, Gabriel Kerneis <gabriel...@enst.fr> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> so we have :
> http://ocamldt.free.fr/
> http://ocaml.eclipse.ortsa.com:8480/ocaide/

I just tested it on a small toy project and it is by far the best I have
seen, it is actually very usable. One thing in particular that I like is
that it does not necessarily rely on a builtin engine within the plugin to
compile your projects but can use a simple makefile instead. This way of
cleanly separating the building process allows you to use another great
development tool: ocamlbuild for building (provided you don't mind managing
the ocamlbuild files to configure your project instead of using the plugin
managed ocaml projects).

I have a few remark though:

- i could not find a way to configure the ocaml debugger: i use it a lot and
some of my code requires deactivating checkpoints, or it would just eats up
memory. Otherwise debugging through ocaide works very well.

- OcaIDE does not look in ocamlbuild _build directory for .annot files, it's
ok since i can put commands in the Makefile to copy the files in their
expected locations after a build, but it would be nice to have this.

- I am not sure what Project references are for, i understand it would
automatically ask you if you want to open the referred projects when opening
the main project, but can it also issue a build for the referred projects
when necessary (like projects in a Visual Studio solution) ? AFAIK this
configurations is not mentioned in the documentation.

- I could not make it work with eclipse 3.2 but it works fine with 3.3 + Sun
JVM 1.6

Anyway, great work!

Gregory

Rafael

Jul 19, 2007, 3:13:30 AM7/19/07
to Grégory Guyomarc'h, caml...@inria.fr
Hello everybody !
About ocamlbuild : unfortunately, this (wonderfull) tool came out when the
development of the plug-in was almost finished, so we can only plan to
incorporate it in a future version (maybe...). I think we can do something
about the _build directory.

For project references, I don't know also what it is for, and we don't use
it in the plug-in.

About the debugger, I thought there was no problem to desactivate
checkpoints but if you say it... We will have to wait a few days until the
person who developed it came back..

Thanks!

Rafael

Christophe Raffalli

Jul 19, 2007, 5:44:16 AM7/19/07
to Nicolas Bros, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

Dear list members,

I just tested OcalIDE. This is really nice, and I think I only discovered a tenth of what it offers.
I have just two questions/problems:

- Is it possible to limit the outline to function with a name longer than a given size (let's say 2
or 3)

- I use darcs, there is an eclipsedarcs project, but it seems incompatible with OCalIDE, the message
being:
Project 'test' contains linked URIs but the'org.eclipsedarcs.core.repository.DarcsProvider'
repository provider does not supported them.

Any Idea to overcome this two problems (especially the second one) ?

Cheers,
--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christoph...@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI

Rafael

Jul 19, 2007, 5:55:39 AM7/19/07
to Christophe Raffalli, caml...@yquem.inria.fr, Nicolas Bros
Hello,
If I had understood, you wish the outline to display only the names longer
than a given size ? In order to "filter" the results ?

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about darcs, and we don't test the plug-in
with this... But we will see what we can do.
Thanks,

Rafael

Gabriel Kerneis

Jul 19, 2007, 6:03:09 AM7/19/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Le Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:51:29 +0200, Rafael <unfal...@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hello,
> If I had understood, you wish the outline to display only the names
> longer than a given size ? In order to "filter" the results ?

Probably to prevent things like :
let f = ... in let aux = ...
from being displayed, as they are mostly not significant.

Regards,
--
Gabriel

signature.asc

Rafael

Jul 19, 2007, 6:14:02 AM7/19/07
to Gabriel Kerneis, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

It's a good idea, we could use it, thanks!

Regards,
> --
> Gabriel

Christophe Raffalli

Jul 19, 2007, 7:58:49 AM7/19/07
to Gabriel Kerneis, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Gabriel Kerneis a écrit :

Yes exactly, let definition with very small name and/or very
small scope do not need to be displayed in the outline.

> Regards,

Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie
Batiment Le Chablais, bureau 21
73376 Le Bourget-du-Lac Cedex

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christoph...@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI

IMPORTANT: this mail is signed using PGP/MIME
At least Enigmail/Mozilla, mutt or evolution
can check this signature. The public key is
stored on www.keyserver.net

Christophe Raffalli

Jul 19, 2007, 8:04:30 AM7/19/07
to Hugo Ferreira, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

>> - I use darcs, there is an eclipsedarcs project, but it seems
>> incompatible with OCalIDE, the message being:
>> Project 'test' contains linked URIs but
>> the'org.eclipsedarcs.core.repository.DarcsProvider' repository provider
>> does not supported them.
>>

> Don't know if this will help but the last issue looks a bit like
> something I have experienced with SVN (Subversion). I don't think it has
> anything to do with the OcalIDE plug-in. Did you create a local or
> remote repository (don't know if this makes sense in darcs). It seems
> like the darcs plug-in does not allow for remote access to remote
> repositories.
>
> Just to test this, create a Java project and see if you have the same
> problem.

No problem with a new java project.

Remarks: the repository in darcs is always local
for darcs. You can then choose to "pull" patches from someone else
repository or to "push" your patches to a central repository (if
you have write access to it), but the existence
of a central repository is not mandatory in darcs (even if it becomes necessary
when the number of developers really doing modifications at the same time is growing ...)

Christophe

> HTHs,
> Hugo F.
>

>> Cheers,

Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie
Batiment Le Chablais, bureau 21
73376 Le Bourget-du-Lac Cedex

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christoph...@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI

IMPORTANT: this mail is signed using PGP/MIME
At least Enigmail/Mozilla, mutt or evolution
can check this signature. The public key is
stored on www.keyserver.net

Christophe Raffalli

Jul 19, 2007, 8:38:00 AM7/19/07
to Christophe Raffalli, caml...@yquem.inria.fr

> Yes exactly, let definition with very small name and/or very
> small scope do not need to be displayed in the outline.

In fact, and because we dont know what we want yet, the best would be to have

- a minimum length (in char) for indentifier
- a minimum length (in line) for scope size
- and a choice between and and or

Then you could say: I display an identifier if its length >= 3 and its scope size >= 30

Or you could say I display an identifier if its length >= 10000 or its scope size >= 30
(which means that the length is useless)

The only question is whether OCalIDE can compute the scop size of an ident ?

Rafael

Jul 19, 2007, 8:47:02 AM7/19/07
On 7/19/07, Christophe Raffalli <christoph...@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:

> > Yes exactly, let definition with very small name and/or very
> > small scope do not need to be displayed in the outline.
> >

> In fact, and because we dont know what we want yet, the best would be to
> have
>
> - a minimum length (in char) for indentifier
> - a minimum length (in line) for scope size
> - and a choice between and and or
>
> Then you could say: I display an identifier if its length >= 3 and its
> scope size >= 30
>
> Or you could say I display an identifier if its length >= 10000 or its
> scope size >= 30
> (which means that the length is useless)
>
> The only question is whether OCalIDE can compute the scop size of an ident
> ?

Yes it would be a good idea. I think it could be done, but I'm not sure,
so we will have to wait until the person who writes the parser for the code
(Nicolas) came back. An AST (Abstract Syntax Tree) is build to represent the
code, then I guess we could find the scope of a definition...
Regards,

Rafael

Jon Harrop

Jul 23, 2007, 3:54:53 AM7/23/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

This was sounding quite nice and I've been meaning to try Eclipse and Scala.
However, I just managed to get the necessary software installed under Debian
Linux and am finding it to be extremely unstable. I'm seeing null pointer
exceptions and lots of hanging.

One point of particular concern is the startup message:

searching for compatible vm...
testing /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj...found

which implies that Eclipse has chosen to run using the GNU Java clone rather
than the real thing (which is installed).

Has anyone else here found Eclipse to be usable?

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e

Christophe Raffalli

Jul 23, 2007, 4:18:01 AM7/23/07
to Jon Harrop, caml...@yquem.inria.fr
Jon Harrop a écrit :

> This was sounding quite nice and I've been meaning to try Eclipse and Scala.
> However, I just managed to get the necessary software installed under Debian
> Linux and am finding it to be extremely unstable. I'm seeing null pointer
> exceptions and lots of hanging.
>
> One point of particular concern is the startup message:
>
> searching for compatible vm...
> testing /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj...found
>
> which implies that Eclipse has chosen to run using the GNU Java clone rather
> than the real thing (which is installed).
>
> Has anyone else here found Eclipse to be usable?

As said in some post previously, you need sun-java (6 preferably) and
start eclipse with -vm to tell him
the java path.

Christophe

Jon Harrop

Jul 23, 2007, 4:48:08 AM7/23/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr
On Monday 23 July 2007 09:14:35 Christophe wrote:
> As said in some post previously, you need sun-java (6 preferably) and
> start eclipse with -vm to tell him
> the java path.

Wonderful: that fixed all of the problems. This IDE looks absolutely
fantastic! 8-)

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e

Roland Kaufmann

Jul 31, 2007, 4:19:42 AM7/31/07
to caml...@yquem.inria.fr

Jon Harrop wrote:

> which implies that Eclipse has chosen to run using the GNU Java clone
> rather
> than the real thing (which is installed).

I reckon that you've installed "the real thing" with something like `sudo
apt-get sun-java6-jdk` (which at least is the package name in my Ubuntu
Feisty Debian derivative). You should then look into the `sudo
update-alternatives --config java` command, to set this as the default VM.