[Caml-list] Announce: Jsure 1.0.1, has online version at jsure.org

Berke Durak

Mar 10, 2008, 11:30:55 AM3/10/08
to Caml-list List
Hello,

We've been maturing our little Javascript verifier, Jsure, and it can now catch things
like bad regular expressions or property names some browsers don't like.

Stéphane Jaïs has just written a web interface for Jsure; you can now use it on-line at
http://jsure.org/ Binaries for Linux (x86, amd64) and Mac are also available.

Of course, Javascript code, being overly dynamic, is notoriously difficult to analyze;
but even basic checks (such as attempts to catch use of undefined variables) combined
with some developer discipline turn out to be useful.

The traditional alternative is Jslint which is very heavy to use (requires Rhino) -
it is written in Javascript itself.

Jsure is fully open-source; to compile it, you need to install Aurochs (http://aurochs.fr/)
which is used as its parsing engine.

Feel free to mail me with you comments or suggestions.

PS. Jsure has some experimental features such as an attempt at type-checking or
an edit-distance based spell checker for identifiers to play with (those are not enabled
by default). However, it seems that the effort that would be required to build a useful
static Javascript verification tool would be better spent on Javascript-targeting
compilers, like ocamljs! But try telling that to your boss :)
--
Berke DURAK